New to american engines - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:50   #1 (permalink)

New to american engines

Hi,

Newbie here ! - I'm originally from the UK - so don't hold that against me - i'm trying to call things fenders and wrenches instead of wings & spanners !

I'm going to do a 1967 F100 resto. It has a 352 FE in it - via the vin number and the various checks on stroke etc - so I am comfortable that have this worked this out.

What I don't get is when I goto performance sites and look up heads for example - I never see teh 352 listed - 369 390 427 - yes - but - 352 no.

Can anyone explain what I need to look for .

Also in 1967 what HP did the stock 352 put out ?

Thanks Stephen
stephen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 12:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: New to american engines

Give us more information, like what is the vin # what is the casting # on the heads, and the block? What have you determined as to the stroke?

*Note all the FE engines from the late 50's to the early 70's has a "352" stamped on the block, and later in the 70's to 1976 have an inverted "105" stamped on them.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:47   #3 (permalink)

Vin = F10YEA72???

block = C7AE

stroke = 3.5

(this is what po told me - will double check this weekend when i buy it - but i have no reason to disbelieve the guy - he is straight up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtrucker View Post
Give us more information, like what is the vin # what is the casting # on the heads, and the block? What have you determined as to the stroke?

*Note all the FE engines from the late 50's to the early 70's has a "352" stamped on the block, and later in the 70's to 1976 have an inverted "105" stamped on them.
Old 06-12-2009, 14:16   #4 (permalink)

Your 352 is about 250 hp in stock trim. 67 F-100 would have been a 352 2bbl engine if I'm reading right. Thr 352 has a stock cyl bore of 4.00 and 3.50 stroke. Other than the bore and stroke it's pretty much the same as other FE engines. So parts other than for the rotating assy (pistons, rods, crank) will be the same as most other FE engines. If you can tell us exactly what parts your needing to get we can figure what'll work for you.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 15:30   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
Your 352 is about 250 hp in stock trim. 67 F-100 would have been a 352 2bbl engine if I'm reading right. Thr 352 has a stock cyl bore of 4.00 and 3.50 stroke. Other than the bore and stroke it's pretty much the same as other FE engines. So parts other than for the rotating assy (pistons, rods, crank) will be the same as most other FE engines. If you can tell us exactly what parts your needing to get we can figure what'll work for you.
So i don't want to break the bank - i'd like to add maybe 100HP to this. The truck has 9" rear and a manual 3 on the tree if that affects how much hp to increase by. This is more of a project car than a DD - so I just want it to be a fun rebuild if that makes sense !

what suggestions do we have ?
Old 06-12-2009, 15:38   #6 (permalink)

Here is a link to your vin code you gave us.

FORDification.com - 1967 Ford Pickup VIN Data Plate

F10 - F100 2WD
Y - 352 CID
E - Mawah, NJ Assembly Plant
A -A70,000 thru A83,999 - Jan. 1967
(Y) 8 352 208hp 8.9:1 2-bbl

What you have is your everyday average engine. No bells or whistles.
Old 06-12-2009, 17:59   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtrucker View Post
Here is a link to your vin code you gave us.

FORDification.com - 1967 Ford Pickup VIN Data Plate

F10 - F100 2WD
Y - 352 CID
E - Mawah, NJ Assembly Plant
A -A70,000 thru A83,999 - Jan. 1967
(Y) 8 352 208hp 8.9:1 2-bbl

What you have is your everyday average engine. No bells or whistles.
yes - thanks - suggestions to get it to 300-350 hp ?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:04   #8 (permalink)

So your looking to work with what you have on a budget. Heads can be cleaned up and port matched. But do inspect the valve stem heights for sunken seats. Adding hardened seats is a option and can be expensive but cheap core heads can be found if needed. Headers a given. Better intake, carb, cam, lifters and valve springs. I would think about finding a 390 crank, pistons and rods. Your block can easily and safely be bored to 4.05 if it hasn't already. Your truck will like the extra torque and the parts aren't very expensive. Or stick with the 352 setup if it's just not affordable. Where are you located? If your outside of the US shipping can get expensive so that's a factor too. Most of these things can get you the 100+hp. Do you want to do a full rebuild or just add ons?
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 14:21   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
So your looking to work with what you have on a budget. Heads can be cleaned up and port matched. But do inspect the valve stem heights for sunken seats. Adding hardened seats is a option and can be expensive but cheap core heads can be found if needed. Headers a given. Better intake, carb, cam, lifters and valve springs. I would think about finding a 390 crank, pistons and rods. Your block can easily and safely be bored to 4.05 if it hasn't already. Your truck will like the extra torque and the parts aren't very expensive. Or stick with the 352 setup if it's just not affordable. Where are you located? If your outside of the US shipping can get expensive so that's a factor too. Most of these things can get you the 100+hp. Do you want to do a full rebuild or just add ons?

I'm in Danville VA - I want to spend about $700 - so suggestions and expected gains on this budget please.

thanks

Stephen
Old 06-14-2009, 22:40   #10 (permalink)

just swap out the cam and the lifters, you can get them on ebay pretty cheep. If the engine is out and disasembled go for a longer stroked crank. the cam will up the HP and the crank will increase TQ. A holley 4bbl carb will finsh the job nicely. 650-700 cfm will be plenty enough.

Shop around....macine shops will have used cranks and used carbs that just need a kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech