Ford Forums banner

New to site ,and Ford FE

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  chipset 
#1 ·
Looking for advice on a good FE engine rebuild manual.Can anyone help,new to Ford FE? Thanks.

#2 ·
Order one from Ford. They are very likely obsolete but try anyway. they are NOT cheap.
See if your " friendly " engine rebuilder can help. Haynes, Clymer or Chilton are not bad.
Not good but better than nothing. If your using your engine to get beer on a saturday
night throw in a set of rings, do the crank and bearings. If you want to race it or have it
last " forever " Get yourself about $5000.00 and send it to an engine rebuilder. I spent
$2000.00 on a 3.8 just to get it to factory specs. and i didn't do the heads. Well i did
but i did it myself. If i sent it out add another $1000.00. So now that you have your
engine rebuilt count on another $2000.00 to get it to breath properly in and out if your
going to " race " it and win. Maybe. I grew up with the F.E.block. I still have two running
flathead motors. That F.E. is one of the most versitile engines out there and one of the most sought after. Good Luck.

#4 ·
I'm glad someone likes my cold posts, JWKO. My kind of person. would be nice to actually
know what these posters want to do with their engines and how much money they have to spend and what they want to accomplish. I've been in this racket almost 50 years and seeing these posts is almost like starting all over again. As in " where is the timing
mark on a 1953 chevy 235.5 in line 6 ? where is the timing mark on a 1954 Envoy ? Any
takers ?

#6 ·
my pleasure. Can't believe i haven't been banned yet. There should be a foot note on
some posts that have to be filled in before being sent to the forum page saying
" need more info " Without a proper history of the vehicle most of the answers to the
questions are a guess. Here is a possibility. " my car wouldn't start. I replaced the
started, battery,coil,plugs,tires,paint,wires,alternator. " A week later they come back with this. " i got my car to start. It was out of gas ". Don't laugh. I know a guy that did
that. He didn't replace the paint or tires but you know what i mean. There is a lot
of good reading on this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.