Ford Forums banner

Oil pump driveshaft question

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kdtrucker 
#1 ·
I have a question about the oil pump driveshaft on my 352. I pulled the distributor out and I noticed the driveshaft was stuck to the distributor. It popped off and fell back to were it looks like it should be. I fished it out with a magnet and checked to see if it would pull out completely. It didnt so Im assuming the clip is still holding it in. My question is should the driveshaft be loose and pull out like that? It pulls out a few inches and then stops. I put everything back together and drove around the block, now Im having a no start problem. Its acting like the battery is dead so Im hoping the pump didnt stop.

#2 ·
first off the drive shaft is installed from the bottom there is a clip that keeps it from comming out of the oil pump when you pull the dist. out . get number 1 piston to TDC (compression stroke) and then reinstall the dist. so that the rotor is pionting to the number 1 plug wire or at best the the plug wire closest to the dist.cap clip... the rotor should be pointing to number 8 piston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.