Please Help Me With My Intake/gaskets - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2004, 18:22   #1 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Please Help Me With My Intake/gaskets

I just purchased a Weiand high-rise intake (7282) for my 1966 390 FE engine. I purchased intake manifold gaskets which were stock gaskets they were the gray color and were flat no raised parts around the ports. I put everything together and when I ran the engine, water leaked from the coolant ports into the internals of the engine, and also leaked out where the front of the head/intake is. Torques were all correct, it seems the gaskets aren't tight between the intake and the head toward the front of the engine-(im talking about the intake gaskets, not the cork intake gaskets- there were no problmes with those). This never happened with the stock intake, no problems at all with the stock one. The Weiand hi-rise is rated for my engine, i know its the right part. Would you say this part is defected, or should i try some performance gaskets? If i try performance gaskets I believe there will still be a space between the intake and head unless they are thicker then those gray gaskets-but maybe the raised parts of the gaskets around the ports will hold? Will there be a problem if they hold but there is still a gap in the front head/intake line? Is this intake definitly defective and i should just send it back? Thank you all for your help
1966 Thunderbird 390 FE HI PERF T-L (Red)
1966 Thunderbird 390 T-L (Black)
1950 Buick Special
1997 Subaru Impreza AWD
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2004, 19:12   #2 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Re: Please Help Me With My Intake/gaskets

assuming all bolts were torqued in steps and recommended criss-cross sequence... I would suggest removing gaskets, sit original intake against valley and one head, measure gap to other head- do same with new manifold, and if its different, either your new manifold is scrap(but that sure seems unlikely), or perhaps your heads may have been decked long ago and old manifold was cut accordingly.
Just my two cents...never messed with an FE.
Old 01-17-2004, 23:43   #3 (permalink)

I would check without the corks.I have heard of the corks not compressing and holding the intake up off the heads..If thats the case use silicon instead of the corks.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 16:37   #4 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Please check my other Intake/intake gaskets post for the updates on my problem. Thanks guys
1966 Thunderbird 390 FE HI PERF T-L (Red)
1966 Thunderbird 390 T-L (Black)
1950 Buick Special
1997 Subaru Impreza AWD
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 21:02   #5 (permalink)

I recently assembled a 390 using an Edelbrock intake. DO NOT USE THE CORK END GASKETS!! Use a good quality silicone sealant instead. I installed an Edelbrock intake and the instructions specifically stated not to use cork gaskets. To test, I sat the intake down on the heads with no sealant and the intake to block clearance on both ends were about 1/8 inch. Hope you didn't warp the intake.
82 Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech