Ford Forums banner

Problem starting my new 390

8K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  69torino-t 
#1 ·
Quick recap of the work I've done: Bored recon 390 with aluminum intake, 650 Edelbrock stuck into my 64 Galaxie. All new everything, built from scratch.

My problem: I'm all ready to start her up but it seems like the battery/starter doesn't have the juice/power to turn it over properly. It turns over fine, but it struggles to, and doesn't go near fast enough to actually fire off. I thought maybe the batt was a little under juiced so I put jumpers from my other car to make sure the juice was where its supposed to be. Same problem. The car turns over, but struggles, and then after about 5 revolutions it just dies again, or starts smoking from the cables or solenoid.

I know its a tight engine cause its new, but should that keep it from turning over? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

#7 ·
Tried the pulling plugs thing already, and she turns nice and easy with them out, of course that's not much good when I'm, trying to start it;). Is that an indicator of something else wrong?

The timing is if-y. I was supposed to note the position of the dist when i removed it, but I never had this engine put together before! I lined up the rotor and cap with TDC like the book says, to get me close. I tried turning the dist a little left to right while cranking but didn't seem to matter. It just doesb't seem to crank fast enough to get anything going.

Any other suggestions?

#8 ·
Turning the engine by hand, make sure you have #1 coming up on compression stroke. When it just reaches the top and starts to go down again, stop. The rotor should be pointing at #1 plug wire. If so, timing is close enough. Did you have all the machine work done for you at a machine shop?

#10 ·
I set things up exactly like thefonz said. I held the wire from the coil against the head to see if I had spark there, and I did. At TDC the rotor is pointing toward #1. The battery is a brand new 600 cranking amp battery, and I even jump it when it starts to wear down. All machine work was done at a machine shop-turn crank, new rod pins, new cam bearing, hot tanked block, recon heads, new springs, valves, pistons new, oil pump new, factory police interceptor alum intake.

I'm really baffled. It seems to me that if I could get this thing to turn over like it should it would at least fire enough for me to adjust and get it running. In my experience, starters and generators are either bad or good....no in between. Am I wrong? Can they be weak and still function? I could swap them, both out, but they're a pain and I can't see how that would change anything. Wish I had a hot rod shop around somewhere to take this thing to!

#12 ·
How much compression do you have? My 428 has about 12:1 and when I first tried to start it with a regular battery of about 600-650 cranking amps, it was like pulling teeth to get it to turn over. So I used two batteries in series to get it turning. connect the solonoid hot lead to one of the batteries and connect the ground to the other battery then connect the remaining positve and negitve posts together and you'll have 24 volts. Remember to disconnect the batteries after you have started the engine, it's too much for the charging system.

Did you build the engine or did someone else build it? Are you using adjustable rockers? Did the machine shop mill the deck of the block and the heads? If so, how much...because if your using non-adjustable rockers you might need a spacer under the rocker arm towers. They may be a bit too tight against the lifters and making it hard to turn over.

#13 ·
I'll try the two batteries tomorrow. I assembled the engine myself, and it does NOT have adjustable rockers. No decking either, just recon my stock heads and block. I was a little wierd about trying the two batts, but i see it something that is done with some regularity.

Another interesting tidbit I realized yesterday, and maybe this is part of my problem. When I turn my key to the Acc position it turns the car over. I don't think it was doing that before and now it is. That REALLY doens't make any sense since the starting system is about as smiple as it gets. Did I burn something up trying to turn this thing over and now some link is fused or something? I bought a new solenoid and ignition just cause they were cheap and in stock. How can I even begin to tune this thing if I cant start it!!

Looks like I'll be missing the big Father's Day Car show againa this year:BW:

#14 ·
New problem....she turns over now, bigger battery and heavy duty cables did the trick. Now she just won't fire off. I have everything where its supposed to, rotor on #1 wire at TDC, getting good spark (using the plug against the head trick), plenty of gas. Just won't start, got it to back fire a few times. Any suggestions?

#15 ·
Wouldn't hurt to double check everything. Make sure TDC is on compression stroke. Check firing order. Not sure about the 390, but some of the v8 fords used different firing orders and maybe even different from one year to the next. Also if using points, double check them as well.

#16 ·
Wouldn't hurt to double check everything. Make sure TDC is on compression stroke. Check firing order. Not sure about the 390, but some of the V8 Fords used different firing orders and maybe even different from one year to the next. Also if using points, double check them as well.
All vintage Ford V8's with a few exception were 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.
The exceptions were the 5.0L 302 H.O. (Not the BOSS), the 351W, the 351C/M, and the 400C. The firing order on these was 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

#18 ·
Another interesting tidbit I realized yesterday, and maybe this is part of my problem. When I turn my key to the Acc position it turns the car over. I don't think it was doing that before and now it is. That REALLY doens't make any sense since the starting system is about as smiple as it gets. Did I burn something up trying to turn this thing over and now some link is fused or something? I bought a new solenoid and ignition just cause they were cheap and in stock. How can I even begin to tune this thing if I cant start it!!

Hi, You mentioned changing the solenoid. Ummmm... Do you use a solenoid with the 2 post in the center like my 1969? On mine a red wire is on "S" and a black wire on "I". Check yours.... It would be real easy to swap these. The S and I is molded on the body of the solenoid. These markings are close to the threaded post. The small center ones. Dave

#19 ·
Its funny you mentioned that Torino, that was exactly my prob with the Ac position.

I checked and re-checked everything. Firing order, tdc, etc etc. I even purposely walked away from it for a few weeks and started from scratch, in an attempt to not make some silly mistake that i might have been missing before. Still nothing. Frustration doesn't begin to tell the whole story. Here I have this big beautiful new engine stiing there, and nowhere to go with it. Depressing

#20 ·
I think I may have a solution. Ever notice when your ignition is in the Start position the radio, a/c blower ect will stop - But all the electrical is on in the run position and some in the acc. There is a leg that feeds the ignition that will be hot in both the start & run positions but will have no voltage in the acc or off position. I feel that the ignition may be wired on just a switched 12v source which will cause the engine to continue to run in acc. With a test meter check your wire feeding the ignition and verify it has full voltage in both start and run positions. You could always run a wire from the +batt to the ignition side of the coil then try starting that way. I really feel it would start.

#21 ·
Hi, It is a tough problem. Have you tested the compression. Yeah I am sure it's high normal. I'm thinking it's something simple and your looking at the problem but not seeing it yet. I work on multi-mullion dollar vacuum sputtering equipment in my working life. For me I have to push emotion out of the equation. So getting simple. You need proper timing, air/fuel mixture, and spark. Oh, this may be out there but back in the 80's I had a Mustang with a 351C. That thing would only run on Autolite plugs. Never figured that out. Anything else and it would never start. Go back to the basics. Be logical... Put points on your ears like Spock. LOL Relax and I am sure you will figure it out. Dave;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.