Purchased Ford 428 Parts, need help!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 11:49   #1 (permalink)
68 F-100

Purchased Ford 428 Parts, need help!!!

Hey there,
I ended purchasing some Ford 428 Parts from a friend of mine for a really good price, I have been having some trouble in trying to get some identification on these items. More specifically wether there CJ or not. I purchased a block and crankshaft. I've always liked the 428's and always wanted one. The parts came out of a 1968 Ford Galaxie Police car. It was his fathers, and these parts have been in his family for over 20 years. I jumped at the chance to get them. Anyway block has the numbers C8ME-A, and on the back of the block there is an A welded on it, near where the flywheel goes. I've been told by friends to look for a third rib or something to that extent and that it means it's a 428CJ block. This it does not have, but I would like to know if it is at least a 428, and if so what it's potential value is. I know these parts are getting harder to come by. The crank has 1U stamped it, and off to the side there is a J stamped in it too, not in the same area as the 1U, been told it's a CJ crankshaft, just want to be sure, and if so the value of it also. I don't wish to sell these items, just am curious on the history, and rarity of them. I'd appreciate any input or information anyone has to say about it. Thanks.
~Joe~
cougar1753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 06:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Purchased Ford 428 Parts, need help!!!

The Crank is a 428 crank, with a stroke of 3.98....and used in the 428 CJ PI. It was also used in the 390 to make the 410. The block is more than likely a 428 PI block with the welded "A" on the back of the block. CJ blocks will have a "C" welded on the back. Having the c8me-a could be a SCJ block...maybe...SCJ usually has a 1UA on the crank...does the block have the extra webbing in the main cap area??
Either way you look at it the engine is worth keeping!!
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 16:36   #3 (permalink)
68 F-100

I looked at the block and no it does not have the extra webbing that I can tell. I'm glad to know that they are the real deal. Is it really hard trying to find parts for these??? What are the parts I have worth roughly?? The block has alot of miles on it and is going to need to be bored, probably .030 over. The crank is in great shape. There's no marks or scratches on it in any way, shape, or form.
Old 03-31-2008, 21:30   #4 (permalink)

check on the edge of the block on the side rear of the block and you should find a vin code #. Some earlier blocks stamped it on the block tab left front. With out the extra webbing in the block, more than likely its either a std 428 or PI. With the "A" I would guess PI. Parts are readily available for your engine. I just built a 428 with the same "A" on it, although my block was cast dec.27, 1965...so I know that my block is not a CJ because the came out in 1968. It puts me back in the seat when I take off....so any 428 is always a good 428
Old 04-01-2008, 15:49   #5 (permalink)
68 F-100

Yeah it's a C8ME-Am that's the Vin right???
Old 04-01-2008, 15:51   #6 (permalink)
68 F-100

Whoops without the m
Old 04-01-2008, 18:18   #7 (permalink)

That's the casting number not the vin. Casting numbers are not CID specfic as the same casting number can be found on different bore blocks. Block may or may not have the vin from the car it was in. Looking at the back of the block you'll see a rectangle shape pad/boss below the head's deck on each side. Looking at the back of the block it might be on the left side in the pad. Sometimes they were on the head. It is hand stamped not cast in. There is a date code on the block. That is below the oil filter adpater pad. Number/letter/number sequence = year/month/day of casting. Post what you can find...
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:16   #8 (permalink)

thanks ffr428 for explaining to cougar, I new what I meant to say just wasn'nt clear enough
Old 04-02-2008, 12:15   #9 (permalink)

No problem!!
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 16:05   #10 (permalink)
68 F-100

Will do, have the block in storage. I have access to it, it's just not with me. I will look for anything I can find and let you guys know tomorrow. I thought it was scarce to find the vin on the 428 blocks??? I don't have heads or anything. Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech