rpm issue with 390. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 14:21   #1 (permalink)

rpm issue with 390.

hello new here. got a question for u guys if anyone knows 390 really good i would appreciate the help. i have a 67 390 with 406 big port heads medium riser intake and also big port. a crane fireball 2 296 cam in it and headers on. i am running it in my mud drag truck. it has a 3000 tci stall in too. the issue i am having it that around 3000 it doesnt want to make more rpms. i have a base edelbrock 600 on it. i am thinking its to small of a carb but not sure. if anyone has ideas i would love to hear them. thank u.
legand71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 13:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: rpm issue with 390.

My first guess is that your gear ratios are to high and you may need lower gears. My second guess is that you did'nt dial in the cam correctly.

What is your vacuum reading?? At what RPM does the cam smooth out?? You might have the wrong torque converter.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:00   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtrucker View Post
My first guess is that your gear ratios are to high and you may need lower gears. My second guess is that you did'nt dial in the cam correctly.

What is your vacuum reading?? At what RPM does the cam smooth out?? You might have the wrong torque converter.
Thanks for the input. The gears are only 4:10 and I am running 39.5s on it. The cam was installed correctly also. The cam Smith's out around 1300 if u mean sound wise. Vacuum not Really y sure about. And the stall converter is correct also.
legand71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 15:05   #4 (permalink)
BuzzLOL

.. Ever fix this? Carb. size is fine. Maybe distributor not advancing the ignition timing. Something blocking airflow into carb. 600 CFM carb.s usually default jetted for 302's, may need bigger jets...
BuzzLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech