Smoking FE390 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 15:08   #1 (permalink)

Smoking FE390

I have 71 FE390 that was just rebuilt. Put in roller rocker arms to replace the non adjustable originals and a beefier cam. When first started it smokes a little and when warmed up smokes even more. Took the intake off and noticed oil getting into the intake ports (wet) and it appears oil is traveling through the vent hose from the valve cover to the carb base plate on the intake. Oil was found puddled on the intake right under the hose connection to the base plate. The valve covers appear to have baffles. My question is how the heck is that much oil getting through? Is something else more seriously wrong here? Can I simply put another breather on that valve cover and plug the carb base plate opening to correct the problem?
71SptCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Smoking FE390

Aftermarket covers? You don't have the valve covers sealed off do you? When using a PCV it needs to be able to breathe or it will create a vacuum in the crankcase and suck oil.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 19:55   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at it. The valve covers are chrome "Powered by Ford". The left has a vent on it and the right has what looks like the same vent but with the PCV hose coming out of the top and going to the carb base plate. Is there some way to check that it is venting?
Old 09-09-2013, 21:08   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

If the other has a vent on it I'm sure its OK and venting properly. I'll let someone else chime with possible ideas.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:43   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

If not a breathing fault , take it that the valve guides / seals are not causing the smoke problem ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 15:05   #6 (permalink)

The valve guides/seals were replaced. The heads were machined and the guides replaced at a machine shop. But that doesn't mean a mistake wasn't made. I'm puzzled on how so much oil is puddling in the crevices of the intake manifold under the PCV line. The baffles under the covers are boxed down close to the heads. Are there supposed to be cross members inside to deflect the oil?
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:10   #7 (permalink)

My first thought would be the valve seals weren't installed properly causing a leak and if you are using facktory seals with double valve springs it could cause the seals not to seat back down as the valve travels up and down.

You might also have an angle problem with your intake meeting up with your heads. I always use a protractor to make sure the angles are exact. If not you'll have leaking. Also if your intake sits up a bit high on the heads it will leak, by way of vacuum sucking oil through the lower end of the intake gasket.

Check the PCV make sure that clean and operating correctly.
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech