Timing Pointer Differences? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 05:14   #1 (permalink)
Ford Crazy

Timing Pointer Differences?

I am building a FE 390 from assorted parts. My timing cover is from an early FE casting number COAE-6059D. The timing pointer is mounted with two small screws threaded into the cover. The pointer I am using is the common straight style that came on all regular 390 passenger cars. My problem is that I want to use a 7.25" diameter HiPo balancer on this motor. By measuring from the center of the crank hole to the pointer, it looks like a 7" balancer will hit the pointer. What do I need? Thanks for the help!!
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 10:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: Timing Pointer Differences?

First you can ask the people that you bought the balancer from if they have a pionter replacement.

A 428 CJ uses a big balancer, you might try that route, using a 428 pointer, you might have to remark the timing marks on the balancer if it's off from the 390.

The only other way that I know of is to bend the pointer to fit the new balancer
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:11   #3 (permalink)

I bought a 7.5" Pioneer SFI balancer and it comes with a new timing pointer in the box. It will fit and clear the early aluminum covers that use the small screw pointers. The new pointer is a universal design and will bolt up to both early (C3) and later (C8 and up) covers. I'm using a C3AE-6059-A aluminum cover on my 427 and there's no issues. Your C0AE-6059-D is one of the early stamped steel covers correct? If so I would think it'll fit fine. Just be sure the new balancer you buy includes a new pointer. Some of the ebay guys were removing them from the box and selling them seperate.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:42   #4 (permalink)
Ford Crazy

Where did you buy your Pioneer SFI balancer? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18   #5 (permalink)

I bought mine off ebay from Racers Outlet. Back in 07 it was $140. Guy I know bought one from Summit last year. It was a newer upgraded version also SFI and about the same money. His is a little lighter too which is nice.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 15:08   #6 (permalink)
Ford Crazy

Got a new Power Force HiPo balancer today. It's the same diameter as a 427 balancer. Nice part and it comes with an offset pointer that works on both early and late style timing covers.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech