trouble with blue smoke -help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44   #1 (permalink)

trouble with blue smoke -help

hello, thanks in advance for any and all help. I have a 1964 390 that was driving when i got and did not smoke at idle that i could notice but i did not pay much attention at the time.I tore the motor down and put on rebuilt heads and new exhaust manifolds.When i got to the block the cyclinder walls were all smooth and looked great-so i did not do a ring job.I put the motor back together and i am getting a constant blue smoke out of the exhaust more out of the drivers side-if i floor the gas i get more.I pulled the covers and rockers arms off and changed the valve stem seals and checked the play in the stems-all were good -i had just thought maybe the rebuild had a problem with the seals.I checked compression and all were at between 150 and 165 except one at 145. put some oil in that cylinder and it statyed at 145.any ideas where my problem could be coming from -i know its hard with out being here but anyone fought this before your story will be helpful.I also have a new streetfighter hollly carb on but dont think fuel adjustments could cause blue smoke-right?
thanks,joe
joeyt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 21:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: trouble with blue smoke -help

Sound like your intake might have a leak. You might have to re-seal it. JMO
Ford428CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52   #3 (permalink)

helllo,
i did a vacuum test on the engine and connected the gauge to the intake manifold let the car warm up and the gauge read 20 and held very solid did not move at all-i rev the engine to 2500 rpm and the gauge went to 0 then when i let off it went to about 25 then back to 20 right away and then stayed.I was hoping this would point to better idea of where my smoke is coming from but it did show bad readings liked i had hoped.with this test and i do not belive my compression results were that bad is there any where else to look for my oil burning problem-if it was a small amount of smoke i would not worry but when i floor it all the mosquitos take off for florida.
thanks joe
Old 07-03-2007, 10:08   #4 (permalink)

Pull the spark plugs and lets narrow it down to witch hole its in and if it is the one with low pressure in the cylinder. Look for the one that oily compared to the rest. JMO
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
Old 07-03-2007, 12:54   #5 (permalink)

thank you for your response,
here is a compression check i just did today-warmed the car up by driving it for 20 min-throttle full and held. when i say yes to oil on plug i mean around the threads and the electrode is blackend but non looked covered in oil-by the way the car runs fine and i have yet to change the plugs i am sure they are fouled a little by now.here are my results
oil on plug first turn of engine reading final reading

cyl 1--yes for oil 90-100 155
cyl 2 --- no oil 100-110 160
cyl 3 yes oil 90-100 150
cyl 4 yes oil 100-110 160
cyl 5 yes 100-110 165
cyl 6 yes 100-110 170
cyl 7 yes 100-110 175
cyl 8 yes 100-110 180

this is a true dual exhaust no y pipe and the smoke mostly comes out the drivers side so 5678 cyl side. again any help is appreciated and the lower end that i know of has not been rebuilt but i did have it apart saw the cylinder walls and there were absolutely no scoring on any of them.
thanks,joe
Old 07-03-2007, 13:36   #6 (permalink)

It could be the valve guide or the seals for the guide! Its easy to cut a seal on install. Or oil control rings. And your lowest should only be 160. Its the 10% rule.

Make sure you carb is dialed in and a fresh set of plugs.
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
Old 01-21-2008, 17:06   #7 (permalink)

oil smoke out one bank? o.k., possibility of a stuck oil ring these engines are old, how many miles are on it? who really knows. you sound like you know what your doing,so maybe a new set of rings will take care of your problem.
f.e. man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech