W Code Mustang - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 04:42   #1 (permalink)

W Code Mustang

Hi all, I'm from australia and new to the forum.
I have an interesting car that i'm trying to research and i hope that somebody out there may have some information and an open mind.(I'm expecting 95% of you to think i'm full of it!)

My car is a 68 convertible mustang with with a "W" code VIN.

I have a 999 report from ford verifying the VIN and engine as a 390 hp 427ci 4v. The rest of the drive line specifications in the report don't match what is in the car now or what i thought would have been.

I also have a Marti report which says it is not a "W" code. The Marti report does say that the car was ordered through a dealer in Chicago called Hoeffel and Goy (Who I can't find now). Does anyone know anything about this dealership?

My car is fitted with a 68 date coded hydraulic lifter 427 side oiler (now fitted with solid rollers) top loader and 3.75 9 inch detroit locker.

The VIN is stamped on the dash VIN tag and on the inner fender apron. It is also stamped on the door tag which i believe to be a repro.

The car was purchased from a wrecking yard outside Memphis 20 years ago and was imported on the documented W code VIN.

The car was restored and has been registered here ever since.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies in advance if it takes me while to respond, as i will probably be sleeping or watching Marcos Ambrose race! (Big time difference)

Cheers,
Adrian
www.427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 14:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: W Code Mustang

Your are right in your efforts assuming it's a 427 W code. It was a detuned engine with less horse power.

I'm not exactly sure but I think it was used in the mercury maurader. Although mercury did use the 427 2x4 and called it the super maurader.

You'll have to do more researching to get all the true information. In the meantime here is a link to 1968 vin decoding, see if this helps.

Decode This! 1968 Ford All Models VIN Decoder Pattern
kdtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 17:16   #3 (permalink)

The 68 Mercury Cougar GTE's got the detuned sideoiler in 68. Got some pics of the car?
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:16   #4 (permalink)

Yes, i just have to work out how to upload them.

I'm not very smart but i can lift heavy stuff!
Old 05-07-2009, 17:29   #5 (permalink)

Marti has no Ford documentation that the 68 W code stangs were ever made. That's why he won't support the fact. This is another one of those grey areas in Ford history. There are those who swear they are real and have owned the cars. But little to no documentation was kept. Back then the whole numbers thing wasn't a big deal. I'm sure there were test cars and some factory cars made for racing and evaluation. I've heard of a few fastbacks and 1 coupe but never a convertable. People have been waiting to see pics of a real W code Mustang for years so if yours is the real deal it'll be big news. I think anything is possible and would love to see one of these cars surface and prove they are out there. I hope you can get those pics to post somehow. I'd really like to see the car.
FFR428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 20:59   #6 (permalink)

Yeah Id like to see the pics too. The only place I've seen a W code is in the '60's chiltons manual. I believe the engine existes, but what it's use or application is not clear to me. I've always thought it was used in the mercurys, becaused it was detuned, 410HP I believe.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:39   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
Marti has no Ford documentation that the 68 W code stangs were ever made. That's why he won't support the fact. This is another one of those grey areas in Ford history. There are those who swear they are real and have owned the cars. But little to no documentation was kept. Back then the whole numbers thing wasn't a big deal. I'm sure there were test cars and some factory cars made for racing and evaluation. I've heard of a few fastbacks and 1 coupe but never a convertable. People have been waiting to see pics of a real W code Mustang for years so if yours is the real deal it'll be big news. I think anything is possible and would love to see one of these cars surface and prove they are out there. I hope you can get those pics to post somehow. I'd really like to see the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtrucker View Post
Yeah Id like to see the pics too. The only place I've seen a W code is in the '60's chiltons manual. I believe the engine existes, but what it's use or application is not clear to me. I've always thought it was used in the mercurys, becaused it was detuned, 410HP I believe.
I tried to upload the #*%!! photos 3 times but it keeps saying "invalid post specified"! if you PM me your email address i can email you some pics. I know how to do that!

I have spoken with a large number of people regarding my car. Some people believe it may have been a company executive vehicle, some people say it's a clone other people think it may have been a race vehicle (i'm not sure about that being convertible?) Some experts won't talk to me at all! Whatever they say, it's real to me because i drive it.

The W code engine was actually a mustang factory option in 68 until the end of April i believe. It was also offered in cougars. I know it was an expensive option but surely if mopar guys were ticking the hemi cuda option some ford guys would have also done the same. I have collected some bits and pieces including factory tune up charts etc for 427 4V mustangs. It was quoted as being detuned to 390 hp due to the hydraulic lifters i guess.

I know of one other alleged W code in Europe. I have chatted with the guy but he doesn't want to post photos because he's a collector or something like that and wishes to be confidential. That's cool, so is the car!

My car was fitted with a scatter shield and a detroit locker 9 inch when it was bought from the wrecking yard which i guess could indicate competition use. It has aluminum heads and a 750 hp series Holley now, but had no heads or induction on it then.

Who knows? I hope that someone may remember something.

Whatever the case, it's awesome to drive now!

Adrian
Old 05-08-2009, 09:46   #8 (permalink)

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and register an account, (free) and download or save your pictures there and then on the forum attach image from photobucket. I had problems too in the past but this forum recognizes photobucket.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:04   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54   #10 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

ww.427 has sent me some photos of his car to put up..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > FE (330-428) Tech

Related Reading: W Code Mustang