Ford Forums banner

6 speed rumours

4K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  outback_ute 
#1 ·
hearing a couple of rumours from work (ford supplier) that the series 2 will offer a 6 speed for the turbo.
anyone else heard or know anything?

#3 ·
Has anyone actually driven a 6 speed auto?
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has.
I cant quite imagine what it would be like in heavy traffic etc? How many gear selections would it be making?

#6 ·
NO one can say for certain that there WILL be a 6 speed for series II. It's been rumoured yes, and the 6 speed mentioned as been the ZF used in Jaguars. I'm sure it would be a great box and If it was offered in the Xr6 Turbo but they still offered the T5 I would bite the bullet and buy an auto! Unfortunately I don't face this dilemma due to insuffeicent funds.

#7 ·
was actually mentioned in the current motor mag. can't remember everything off the top of my head but, as far as i can remember, it's the one used by Jaguar (as mentioned by Cobra), will be capable of sustaining upto 630Nm of punishment (supercharged GTHO?), will be smaller and lighter than current 4 speed auto. can only be a good thing if this is true.
ford had better bring it on soon, along with a 6 speed manual (with sensible gear ratios!). hopefully should fit both V8 and turbo6

#9 ·
the six speed (IMO) is a waste of time with the turbo ... a three speed would be better at keeping the turbo on the boil .... the torque curve of the XRT does not need 6 speeds

so ... yes , this said, Ford will probably try and con us with a 6 speed

#10 ·
svtang said:
the six speed (IMO) is a waste of time with the turbo ... a three speed would be better at keeping the turbo on the boil .... the torque curve of the XRT does not need 6 speeds

so ... yes , this said, Ford will probably try and con us with a 6 speed
but a three speed would mean taller ratios, which means the car would come off boost every gear change from the tall gear ratios!

So with shorter ratios of the six speed the revs would be kept high and on boost.

#11 ·
the max torque/boost sits over half the rev range ...
over the 400m the 4 speed is still in 3rd and has had max torque for for about 90% of the ride.... a 6 speeder will add a couple of extra changes to that with no torque "for a second maybe" ... anyways ... it is not a lux vehicle

#15 ·
I've heard that the 6 speed auto turbo is ordinary ... the sentiments expressed in my previous posts were shared with me by the driver .... but heck ...this is only rumour ...
cheers

(looking at a 3.7 diff myself re the take-off)

#17 ·
All the magazines raved about the six speed in the Jag. As for the turbo six speed remember it would be a development model so it doesn't really compare to a production model. All the development models i've driven have used prototype parts that need development work and have been flogged hard since they were built, but once go into production seem a million times better.

#18 ·
jags generally have short torque tables and need every gear they can get to keep in the zone ... but the XRT has a very long torque table, and gear changes just get in the way ...

anyway ... Ford need to pay a little more attention to their manuals

cheers

#20 ·
svtang said:
the max torque/boost sits over half the rev range ...
over the 400m the 4 speed is still in 3rd and has had max torque for for about 90% of the ride.... a 6 speeder will add a couple of extra changes to that with no torque "for a second maybe" ... anyways ... it is not a lux vehicle
but with a closer packed bunch of gears you wont dip as much into the low rpm no boost zone. While with a 3 speed every gear would be taller, which will make the rpms drop to the no boost zone.

also with the extra useable gears acceleration is improved.

this is what i reckon anyway!

#21 ·
there are many *** dragsters using a 2 speed torqueglide box ... that must tell us something :)

when there is a gear change in a turbo, there is a blow-off of some kind and that is the beginning of the end .... maybe russellw can do a tech report on this phenomenon

cheers
(ps..will find torque curve for the jag for the middle gears)

#23 ·
If they use a six speed it will be quicker, more refined, able to handle more torque, give better fuel economy and with a lower first gear will improve off the line acceleration as well as it being lighter which will help save weight, so what is the problem. It will make it a better car all round. Bring it on I say.

#24 ·
there will be no stopping it I'm sure ... I wouldn't call a six speed auto a sports car ... that's just me ... as far a becoming more refined/economical, yes it will do that .....

cheers

(another ps .... 1st gear is probably going to be unchanged ..trust Ford to amaze us there)

#25 ·
can anyone say 6 speed + shiftkit :D
if its going to mean more changes (no doubt ford will make them sluggish shifts for comfort) then a shift kit will surely help it a long a 1/4 run.

#26 ·
More ratios for auto XR6 Turbo could only be good IMO. I reckon it will make the XR6 Turbo run in the 13's. With a shift kit, chip, exhaust and mild boost tweak you're into the 12's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.