APS Stage One - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2004, 16:44   #1 (permalink)

APS Stage One

I am about to commit to the first mods on my XR6T. Can anyone tell me what kind of difference in performance I will get with an APS stage 1 kit. My car is an auto, 22k's on the clock. The mods include the unichip and high flow injectors.
I am not that worried about kilowatts, more torque and acceleration is what I'm looking for. Rough times over the 0-100 and 1/4 are what I'm really interested in.
My brother in law has a new manual clubbie(285kw) and I can't bear the thought of his car beating mine.
Cheers
Jon Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2004, 18:43   #2 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

Re: APS Stage One

dude check out the SCT Advantage thread in the ECU forum, i'd reckon this would make the phase 1 kit a waste of time.
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:15   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavze
dude check out the SCT Advantage thread in the ECU forum, i'd reckon this would make the phase 1 kit a waste of time.
If the SCT is the same as the Boss Edit you could be waiting till your car has 220,000km. I heard it was 2 Weeks away 2 months ago. I'll be booking for the APS P1 in the new year. Sick of waiting for edit.
johng001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:13   #4 (permalink)

also APS is developing a boss edit as well and supposedly the boss edit is able to program all BA cars including the 6 cylinders, so that could be a good thing
so it could be soon that they can modify everything in your car...
no torque reductions...

Protien, Creatine, and other supplements all below retail, PM me for a price list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
...his sheep shagging buddy with the loser sideburns.
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 16:33   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng001
If the SCT is the same as the Boss Edit you could be waiting till your car has 220,000km. I heard it was 2 Weeks away 2 months ago. I'll be booking for the APS P1 in the new year. Sick of waiting for edit.

The sct edit for the BA was and is being released now at the Holden VS. Ford show in Melbourne.
bloody expensive though $1590 for the V8 - $1695 for the turbo 6. I doubt that includes tuning. but if that does includes tuning then it is a good price.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:17   #6 (permalink)
Turbotuff

what exactly is the edit?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:28   #7 (permalink)
RACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Adams
I am about to commit to the first mods on my XR6T. Can anyone tell me what kind of difference in performance I will get with an APS stage 1 kit. My car is an auto, 22k's on the clock. The mods include the unichip and high flow injectors.
Jon as far as I know a unichip and injectors is what a Phase I is.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:56   #8 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Adams
I am not that worried about kilowatts, more torque and acceleration is what I'm looking for. Rough times over the 0-100 and 1/4 are what I'm really interested in.
My brother in law has a new manual clubbie(285kw) and I can't bear the thought of his car beating mine.
Cheers
if you got the cash get into stage 2 kit perfect setup between street and strip most guys at least a 12.6 have seen BigMick run 12.1 on street tyres..real HSV Killer and if you have a look at there website, they have a BA after market copmputer program coming for the BA...
www.airpowersystems.com.au
or send aps a PM ...
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 17:19   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Jon as far as I know a unichip and injectors is what a Phase I is.

hey John, I am running a unichip with injectors and fuel pump(my choice) this gives me 260rwkw with 280rwkw coming when I change my valve springs. I have a second CAI and that's it. Manual so I am a bit slower down the qtr than the auto's but you should be looking at a high 12 flat 13 if you have an auto, maybe more.
I think from memory I have approx 867nm @ 274rwkw which was my last dyno.
If you go over 250rwkw you will have to upgrade your auto otherwise I would give it about 3 months before it goes bang.
And yes you will give your mates clubby a good bashing even with 240rwkw.

Phase 1.5 is the injectors and chip at approx $2400. Phase 1 is chip only at approx $1400.
Old 11-22-2004, 17:27   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdennis1
The sct edit for the BA was and is being released now at the Holden VS. Ford show in Melbourne.
bloody expensive though $1590 for the V8 - $1695 for the turbo 6. I doubt that includes tuning. but if that does includes tuning then it is a good price.
There are 3 base tunes for a stock T provided, no custome tune. The problem with this is you get 3 base tunes and the box. This is ok if you have a stock T, however if you are already modified with injectors etc you then need a custom tune ontop of the 3 base tunes, so at over $2k for a modded T the benefits do not outweigh the justification of the unit.

The other issue is that if you are modded and your car goes to the dealer and they reflash your pcm, then you loose your tune. This is due to the fact that once the box downloads the tune to the pcm the box no longer stores that tune, as it's in the cars pcm. If you are modded and have a tune put in to make the car as close to stock as possible and they flash the pcm you loose that tune again. This means that your car will run like a dog. The only way to get your tune back will be to go back to your tuner.
This unit seems like a great idea for stock T's however, you get the 3 tunes with the unit, but they are not tuned specifically to your car! As we all know the variations in each of our cars is unbelieveable, so I fail to understand how a generic tune will work in each car considering the different restrictions we all experience.

From the people I have spoken to it will take sometime before they get this thing right, and I would suggest like the ls1 edit, it won't be until a few versions down the track that it would be worthwhile looking at. From a stok T perspective I would be nervous Unless you have it specifically tuned to your car, which will then cost you possibly up to $500 extra to do this.

I am not bagging the concept but unfortunately from my perspective it's not as good as all the hype has suggested it would be. It is an actual edit with no 'piggyback' or anything attached. The only time something is attached is when you are downloading your tune into the factory pcm. Then unplug and you are away.
It would be good for standard T's however considering the things we now know about modding your T, I would be concerned about downloading a tune that has not been done specifically for my car.

If you were looking at the edit with the mods you have already got done to your car would you spend and additional $1695 plus up to $500 ontop just to get a new tune on your car? That's just about phase 1.5 with injectors alone.

I am sure as time goes on it will develop into a good unit, but imho it is not the big leap forward compared to the various pggyback units around.
Most of the tuners I have spoken to, acknowledge in the long term it will be a good product, however have their reservations based on what they have learnt from the T.
At the end of the day for roughly $2500 I can get a piggyback unit with injectors tuned specifically to my car, which then cannot be erased by the dealer by mistake. For $1695 plus $4-$500 for custom tuning I can get the edit with no injectors and If I did upgrade further, cannot retain a 'standard' tune so if the pcm was reflashed by the dealer then I am stuffed.

just my 2c
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo