B.O.V's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2004, 20:20   #1 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

B.O.V's

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to an aftermarket Blow Off Valve on their turbo? Obviously they're only usefull on manuals.

I saw an add today for Herrod's BOV and wondered what it sounded like? I know relatively all of them have the same effect, only sound differs. I'm after one (when XR6T is ordered), but don't like the schweppes performance ones (*psssssss*). I prefer the more subtle flutter sound. At the end of the day i'll be after one for it's performance attributes mainly, although they'll be less of an advantage on a low boost charger.

Previously: AUII XR8 ute which I miss!
-Nemesis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 21:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: B.O.V's

you already have a stock BOV if you aint after the ricer sound why not leave it alone and spend your $$$ towards some mod's that make more hp :)
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 22:47   #3 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

But is it effective? My old man had an S13 Turbo Silvia, they have a factory bov like all cars but it was useless. Still lag between gears.
Plus, i don't mind the sound of some blow off valves, just not the ricer schweppes ones....

Old 04-15-2004, 04:01   #4 (permalink)
OFR #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nemesis-
Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to an aftermarket Blow Off Valve on their turbo? Obviously they're only usefull on manuals.
Why are they only useful on manuals?? You obviously haven't driven an XR6T with SSS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7
you already have a stock BOV if you aint after the ricer sound why not leave it alone and spend your $$$ towards some mod's that make more hp :)
Exactly, I now have 265-270rwkw and still have the factory BOV. Spend your money on something useful like a decent air filter!

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 04:30   #5 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7
Exactly!

Leave it alone and save your money.

I've spoken to a few people on another forum who have put an after market BOV on and most of them have had troubles. They were all ex WRX drivers and wanted the ricer sneeze.

The XR6T comes with one that is fully functional and thankfully quiet.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:09   #6 (permalink)
BA xr6 turbo

that is so true leave it alone thats the best thing to do many friends have tried even with turbo-smart valves they all went back to standard. thats my tip anyway

and 2002 Ba xr6 turbo,white,6 SPEED manual,gt wing,APS II,dvd+3 screens,19" wheels.278 rwkws
xlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:16   #7 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mick
Why are they only useful on manuals??
Doesn't the throttle body stay open whilst the auto changes gears?

Old 04-15-2004, 16:44   #8 (permalink)
BA xr6 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mick
Why are they only useful on manuals?? You obviously haven't driven an XR6T with SSS.

Exactly, I now have 265-270rwkw and still have the factory BOV. Spend your money on something useful like a decent air filter!
just wondering what work you have done to yours. throttle body does stay open in auto's thats why they are quicker standard

and 2002 Ba xr6 turbo,white,6 SPEED manual,gt wing,APS II,dvd+3 screens,19" wheels.278 rwkws
xlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 20:26   #9 (permalink)
OFR #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nemesis-
Doesn't the throttle body stay open whilst the auto changes gears?
Sorry, I'm getting old.

My point was related to the original purpose of a BOV and the fact that it becomes useful when in manual performance mode in an SSS and you go hard then back off, the trans won't change up a gear like a regular auto, not the ricer effect of having the thing open everytime you change gears even if boost is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8ed
just wondering what work you have done to yours.
APS Stage II.

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 20:31   #10 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

I don't have one yet, as you can see from my sig (will be ordering sson depending on this bloody BA2 rumour). You no doubt know but after market higher volume bov's are effective on manual cars because when you change gears, the throttle body closes as you release the accelerator and press the clutch. Thus causing backpressure in the intake system and flowing air back at the turbine slowing it down, so when you engage the next gear there is that second lag as the turbo try's to spool back up. I'm assuming because the XR6T is low boost, the factory bov is probably adequate, when you turn up the wick on the other hand, depending on the volume allowed to be expelled by the factory unit, a larger one will definately improve manual performance.

I appreciate everyones opinion on B.O.V's in general but no-ones actually answered the question...... I'm assuming this means no-one's changed theirs yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo