BA Turbo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2004, 21:16   #1 (permalink)

BA Turbo

Has anyone had or heard of any problems or faults with the BA Turbo,as I am thinking of purchasing one.
Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2004, 21:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA Turbo

Probably, just look around a bit
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 00:56   #3 (permalink)
APS Phase 3 Ute

All new models have some problems, on some cars, mine hasn't missed a beat!
Old 01-17-2004, 21:14   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo
Has anyone had or heard of any problems or faults with the BA Turbo,as I am thinking of purchasing one.
I just bought one dude, and Ford and its employees have been told to focus on quality for 2004.

Mine will be a Feb 2004 build, and I'm hoping it will be fault free. I know that a number of rolling changes have been implemented over the last 12 months that have fixed most of the known problems. With the Turbo, there were faults on the earlier models with some software in the engine managmeent system. Wheels experienced this when they assessed it in the COTY for 2002, but this known problem was fixed very quickly with new software burnt into the computers FLASH memory. I assume all new cars would have this software. The brake shudder problem also seems to be disappearing on cars built over the last 3-6 months, so it seems that Ford is getting on top of that one. There are probably more, but these two seem to be the main ones...

The car I test drove before buying seemed very solid, and was quite good on quality. Mind u my test drive only lasted 15-20 minutes, but I went over her with a find comb tooth to see if I could find anything dodgy, and everything looked solid. I am particularly impressed at how "solid" the car "feels", which is probably a combination of more weight and the terrific grip the car has. It gives you alot of confidence in driving it, which makes you want to "plant it" more often.

Good car dude, and with 240kW, it'll be a while until any other manufacturers catch-up. Go for it !
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 23:32   #5 (permalink)

I can understand all cars have faults,but my primary concern is the actual turbo itself and driveline,wether or not it can handle all that power.I just hope they don't go the way of most turbo cars,forever in the workshop.Thanks very much for the feedback.
Old 01-18-2004, 15:21   #6 (permalink)

The turbo itself is just fine; it's a fairly large unit rated to around 650HP, it is only having to cope with 6lb boost in stock form, so it's relatively unstressed, and should last many years without problems whatsoever.
As for the drivetrain, at standard power levels it should be just OK. If not, replace under warranty. The manual gearbox, with a max torque rating of 447NM, is at the torque limit of the motor.
I've no idea why you think most turbo cars are "forever in the worshop". I have 4 turbo cars, and strongly dispute that comment.

Modify the car, and it's another matter. If an auto, go to 260-280rwkw, and your best to upgrade/strengthen your auto; if manual, go tor 280rwkw and you'll need a new clutch, as it will slip, over 300rwkw and you'll possibly destroy your gearbox (how do I know: mine is stuffed).
Brian
xr6t8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 16:23   #7 (permalink)

Hey Primo,

I have had mine for 3 months, done over 5500kms and it has not missed a beat. Mine is a Oct 03 build so a lot of the little fixes have already been applied. Yours will be even better.

You have 3 years warranty for a reason so if little things come up Ford should fix it. I have owned several cars from new and whenever I have had a problem the dealer has always fixed them - inc Holden.

Good luck with your car when you get - you are going to love it to death like all of us.
XR6T Sedan, SSS Auto, Blueprint, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Sports Steering Wheel, CAI, BMC Filter, Centre Muffler Replaced with 2 x Straight Through 2.5" Pipes & Hot Dogs - OMG, WOW!!! Bring on the Edit, Injectors, Valve Springs, Bigger IC.......
TE Cortina 2.3Lt 200Hp Showcar (4 Sale - any interest?),
XR6T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 22:18   #8 (permalink)

That comment 'forever in the workshop' might have been a little harsh,but I have friends who have had turbo cars,and it just seems that they are always fixing something ( VL,WRX,200SX).You may be right,push something hard enough and it will break.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:18   #9 (permalink)

Hi All,

My first post here. I have had mine for over 6000km Aug 03 build and even with a few mods it is perfect so far.
XRDREAMING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:09   #10 (permalink)
OFR #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6t8u
...Modify the car, and it's another matter. If an auto, go to 260-280rwkw, and your best to upgrade/strengthen your auto; if manual, go tor 280rwkw and you'll need a new clutch, as it will slip, over 300rwkw and you'll possibly destroy your gearbox (how do I know: mine is stuffed).
Brian
Sorry to highjack the thread, however I am very keen on buying an XR6T!

Brian,

What have you done to achieve over 300rwkw and what are you planning to do about the gearbox?

Mick

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo