Ford Forums banner

BA used 2 L of oil in 13 000km

4K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  mattson21 
#1 · (Edited)
My BA XR6 NA is nearly a year old (30 May is its birthday). It has done 14 000km now.

A month or so ago, I went to check the oil. I was surprised to find that it was about as low as it could go on the dipstick and that what was left was very grubby. It took 2 L to get it up to where it should be. At that time it had done just over 13 000km.

Have any of you had the same problem? I had not checked it before that (slack I know) because I honestly did not expect it to have used any since none of my Dad's Falcons over the last million years ever have.

I was wondering though, do they use a lot of oil as a normal occurrence in the first few thousand km? And should that have been picked up at the first service/check? It seems to me that if it had used a fair bit in the first few thousand, they should have picked it up and if it hadn't by that stage, it has used most of it between then and now, which seems problematic to me.

It is going in for its first real service on the 20th April where the guys will check it out (not at Ford, I might add). They seem to be a bit concerned about it.

Also, when I rang Ford to find out what oil to top it up with (I had lost my book at the time) they didn't know but suggested Mobil 1. What do you guys use and what grade?

Oh, and I should also add that I do drive it fairly hard, but not so hard that I would expect this kind of oil usage. I also am aware that this is considered within normal tolerances as far as Ford is concerned, but it is still a problem for me.

Also, on another issue, my plugs were cactus after 14 000km too...... they had to be changed last week. Have any of you found this to be a problem with your BAs?

Thanks guys. Grrrrrr :evil2:

See less See more
#3 ·
RATT said:
It's normal for new cars to use some oil while it's running in. Although I cannot say what is normal. I don't think you should be too concerned XRchic.
Thanks RATT. Yeah, I figured that it is fairly normal for cars to use some oil when running in, but this is by far not the first new car I have ever had and none of them used oil like this! I am not so concerned now, coz I found it and topped it up - but I don't like to think what MIGHT have happened if I had left it to the next service - which is still a few weeks away!

Do you think oil should be changed at 7500 km then? I don't think 15 000 km between oil changes is a brilliant idea, myself.

Do you have any idea what it the best oil to use in it though?

#5 ·
Blurter said:
Yes I would recommend a change at 7500 or six months whatever occurs first.
Cheers

#6 ·
For a first oil change there is NO WAY that I would wait a whole year driving it hard for 15,000km on the first oil. All the swarf and shit that's left in from some dodgy bastard who's wife left him and he couldn't give a f*ck about life or anything in existance. If I purchased a new car I would change the oil in the first 1000km, then do my own service every 7500km, or half way between sheduled service intervals.

#7 ·
XRchic said:
I would reckon the 3,000 km service is a good time to do the first oil & filter change.

Why leave it to 7,500 km as this requires another visit to the workshop between the 3,000 km and 15,000 km services (unless you change your own oil).

I guess the only questions then is: If changing the oil at 3,000 km, do you use a mineral oil (which is what I believe they have ex factory) to help complete the running in process, or switch over to full synthetic then, rather than waiting till 15,000 kms ?

Questions, questions, questions ....

#8 ·
Yeah, I'm happy to change my own oil whenever it needs it - just that this idiot didn't think it needed it. My bad for not changing it earlier.

When I mentioned earlier that when I rang Ford to find out what oil to put in it (yes, that was my question - mineral or synthetic), they didn't know. I had one of them go and find out and check what is actually in the cars on the floor - they told me Mobil 1....so that is what I put in mine. Hope I did the right thing!

So I still don't really know what was in it when I got it and I still am not sure what I should be putting in it now....

In any case, in the future, will be changing it a lot more regularly....makes you wonder why Ford suggest otherwise....

Thanks for your help guys! Appreciated.

#9 ·
I'm thinking about renaming the XR6T Forum, the XR ChicTurbo forum. :sparkles2 Your a busy poster aren't you!! :angel:

Seriously, your posts are welcome and I hope the forum and its members can help make some sense of all the problems your having. What dealer do you use in SA? I use a guy at Jarvis Norwood who is very good especially with modified Fords. PM me if you want his details.

#10 ·
DavidL said:
I would reckon the 3,000 km service is a good time to do the first oil & filter change.
Agreed. Thats when I'm changing mine. I'm at 1200km now, and as soon as 3000 comes, apart from the checkup, I'm getting the oil changed. No matter what some dumb manual says...

If want my T to last me 20 years (which i do !) - No way would I leave it until 15,000 !!!

#11 ·
CDAA said:
I'm thinking about renaming the XR6T Forum, the XR ChicTurbo forum. :sparkles2 Your a busy poster aren't you!! :angel:

Seriously, your posts are welcome and I hope the forum and its members can help make some sense of all the problems your having. What dealer do you use in SA? I use a guy at Jarvis Norwood who is very good especially with modified Fords. PM me if you want his details.
I bought the car through Adrian Brien at St Marys but I get it worked on at Blackwood Dyno Tune (that would be in Blackwood) - they guys are pretty good there. I am not getting it serviced at Ford.

I think all the problems will sort themselves out - perhaps I am just fussy! I don't think they are terribly serious compared to some though...

As for my posts, I apologise if I post too much :iwsun: - I really don't mean to take anything over. I have had a few health issues, have spent the last few months in and out of hospital and a lot of time off work so I have plenty of time to waste. And I don't get off much on day time tv and I don't sleep much these days. And I keep logging on here just to read stuff and can't resist replying to a lot of stuff - and I like the fact that the guys on here know so much about Fords! It's nice to have people to run stuff by.... and its a good way to keep ones mind off other stuff.

Besides, I like the site and I love Fords! :HAHA: :muha: :HAHA: :muha: :HAHA:

#13 ·
XRchic said:
Besides, I like the site and I love Fords! :HAHA: :muha: :HAHA: :muha: :HAHA:
Good girl, keep it up..and your health! I hate Hospital especially the Royal Adelaide. Good advise Ratt on the oil change. If your in it for keeps, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers,
Colville

#14 ·
Well I am definitely gonna be changing it more often - it cant hurt, can it! Apparently Ford used to change it at the first service but no longer - wonder why. According to the manual, they reckon change it first at 15 000km - which seems excessively long, especially for the first change!

Would you guys use Mobil 1 at the 15 000km service?

Yes, CDAA, I hate hospital too. I am usually at Flinders Private but hospital is hospital at the end of the day and it sucks when you are there more than you are home. Used to be a nurse, worked at the QEH - now THAT was a hole!

Oh, and just out of interest, for those in SA particularly.... most new number plates (regular ones) start with W (although some have X now) and I saw a VY commodore tonight with the number plate WUS 356 - I think WUS was quite appropriate.... I think I'd return that one and get another.... ha ha ha!

#16 ·
I agree, 15 000km is way too long, especially for the first change - perhaps they could go 15 000 after the first real service???

I reckon I will stick with Mobil 1 or similar unless the guys who service it shortly give me any good reason to change...

Thanks!

#17 ·
I must admit I am a Mobil 1 fan, and took a lot of convincing by the servicing dealer, to go Castrol. I took the beast for a good run over easter to Hervey Bay and back to Brisbane, so far 4000K since 10000 km change and no oil usage noted. That may be bad as well, but time will tell???

#18 ·
I am surprised that people expect to have to top up the oil between services.

I have never had to top up any car I have owned. My trade in on my XR6T was a 1991 V8 Statesman and after 130,000 klm I still never needed to top it up between services.

I hope the new ford will do as well????

#19 ·
cthor57 said:
I am surprised that people expect to have to top up the oil between services.

I have never had to top up any car I have owned. My trade in on my XR6T was a 1991 V8 Statesman and after 130,000 klm I still never needed to top it up between services.

I hope the new ford will do as well????
Yes, you are correct! That was why I was worried - My Dad has had a million Falcons - never lost any oil in any of them!

#20 ·
Hey guys, I know it's an older thread and I've asked the question.

Car. BA XR6 N/A, chipped and 2.5" exhaust system with pacemaker extractors. 225kw roughly.

I'm currently using Castrol Formula R series 0W40. It's been in for 4-5000kms and I'm noticing that the motor sounds like it's struggling for lube in the vital areas for about 2-3 seconds. It's worrying the hell out of me and I'm starting to panic. Only started doing it in the last week or so. Last couple of startups. No smoke, well, haven't noticed any. It hasn't used a drop of oil since the Castrol R series 0W40 went in.

Wondering If I should change brands but the trouble is. I've been told to stick to one brand. Been using Castrol as long as I can remember and it's always been good.

Thinking of the following:

MOTUL 4100 Turbolite 10W40: Semi Synth or MOTUL 8100 5W40: full synth
Stick with the Formula R 0W40: full syth or going back to Magnatec 10W40
Mobil 1 10W30: Full synth (too thin)? I think so. Being in Queensland, people have suggested a semi synth. 10W40 to 15W50???

Cheers.

#21 ·
you'll find that the reason your car is using oil is because car manufactures (holden and ford) are insisting on putting synthetic oil in from the word go the engine can't be run in properly on synthetic oil, it glazes the bores up hence oil usage.
I'm shore you've about a lot of xr8 and GT's going back to the dealer for oil consumion, that was also the main problem with the gen3's.
I recomend anyone who buys a new ford or holden the first thing they should do is drop the oil and just put running in oil for the first 1000km if it still uses any oil after that you've got glazed bores. I change the oil in mine every 5000-10000km depending on what oil i use 15000 is way to longer service interal.

#22 ·
neil101 said:
you'll find that the reason your car is using oil is because car manufactures (holden and ford) are insisting on putting synthetic oil in from the word go the engine can't be run in properly on synthetic oil, it glazes the bores up hence oil usage.
I'm shore you've about a lot of xr8 and GT's going back to the dealer for oil consumion, that was also the main problem with the gen3's.
I recomend anyone who buys a new ford or holden the first thing they should do is drop the oil and just put running in oil for the first 1000km if it still uses any oil after that you've got glazed bores. I change the oil in mine every 5000-10000km depending on what oil i use 15000 is way to longer service interal.
Someone should possibly let Ford in on this!

#23 ·
neil101 said:

i'm with you on that neil101..

wouldn't xrchic be wise to do a oil consumption check..who's to say the vehicle had the correct amount of oil to start with..

i've made a habit now of checking the oil before leaving the dealership. i had a situation where my wifes car was in for a 15k service, she had driven it home and after checking the invoice, out of curosity i preceded to check that 2 items had been replaced, ie oil & filter, to my horror it only registered as half full on the dip stick and needed 1.5lt (added by the service dept when the vehicle was returned for a please explain) to top it up. ford's excuse was to blame an apprentice. my concern was if i'd checked the oil level 4 weeks after the initial service, i would have thought that i had a major oil consumption problem.

be very aware people..

cheers andrew

#25 ·
cthor57 said:
A workmate had the opposite , where they filled the engine without first draining it (Subaru). He could smell hot oil when he arrived home and checked the engine bay to find it covered in oil.
WOW! That's terrible! Couldn't that do damage? A female friend of mine decided to top up her Pulsar, and being a blonde, literally filled it to the brim!!! I kid you not, took about 10 L or something stupid... blew her oil filter off!

As for mine, since posting this (1000km later), it has not used any oil at all, from what I can tell on the dipstick and it is going in for its 15 000km service this Wednesday, and for a few other bits and pieces - and not at Ford. If there is a problem will get them do do a compression test or something....

Worries me that it was run in on Mobil 1.... and I had to get them to go look up all sorts of things before they coud even tell me - they didn't even know to start with, at Ford. How come the run them out of the factory on synthetic when they should be using running in oil (ie mineral)???? Are they idiots or just don't they care???

With mine, it is going to be the test, after the service (my blokes are really good) to see how much it uses. Also, when I topped it up, as mentioned at the start of the thread, the oil was very dirty - and I don't know if it was underfilled from new, whether I used most of that amount in the first 5000km or so or what - I sort of expected it to be dirty but not 2L down...

What exact oil is best for running in? And I gather polished bores are kinda permanent....

#26 ·
The BA 4.0 L I6 has allowable oil consumption of 1.5 litres every service interval (15,000 kms). That's the difference between the FULL and ADD marks on the dipstick. If you're consuming more than that, you should take it in to a dealer for an oil consumption test.

As for what oil to put in the engine, only the oil that the engine designers design the engine to use. A hell of a lot of development work goes into bearings, pistons, rings and the VCT unit that depend on the exact type of oil specified. I believe this is Mobil 10W-30, but could be wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.