BA1 XR6T service - lowering boost - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 20:47   #1 (permalink)

confused BA1 XR6T service - lowering boost

Just took the car in for 40000km service. they said that they wanted to lower the boost, as it will improve the smoothness of the gearbox (5 speed manual). i told them NO! i didnt want them lowering the boost at all. i told them ide figured out the gearbox by now and have got it down perfectly when driving enthusiastically. as a result they didnt change the boost (or so they said). i dont know if they still redid the 'flash' computer on the car or not? has anyone else had this happened at a service? am i correct in thinking boost as in 'turbo boost'...? either way im happy with the way the car came out of the service, feels just as good as when i took it in.

Oh, and this is my 3rd radiator after this service..... i hope theyve fixed this problem for good now.

Venom
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 20:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA1 XR6T service - lowering boost

Interesting Venom XR Turbo. I asked the local dealer's Service manager yesterday what this was about as my xr6T was going in today for some drivetrain work. He said that yes they had been told to do it. I asked why and what did it do. Apparently reason given was that some xr6T's had been destroying themselves from running too lean? and this "reflash" fixed that. I mentioned pig's posteriers and suggested that they were not to do anything to my car other than what it was in for.
Does anyone know anymore about this. What is Ford telling dealers to do to XR6T's and what is the real reason for it & effect on performance? If it reduces performance to something less than the original spec of the purchased goods then Ford needs a Please Explain. I was planning to order a new MkII xr6T shortly but I may now hold off and consider something else if performance is downgraded.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
Falcon AU XR8

biggrin Re: BA1 XR6T service - lowering boost

I read in the sunday telegraph that ford were reflashing the pcms as there had been cases of over boosting.
check out the ford xr6 turbo forums, as i think i'd seen a thread about this there.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 01:14   #4 (permalink)

I took my car to the dealer yesterday for some warranty work and thet reflased my ECU. Said it was recall job, when driving home home the car felt like a NA. I rang the dealer when I got home and asked them what they did. They told me that the reflash lowered the boost to smoothen out drive train and gear changes (SUX). I reloaded my performance tune from my edit box and all was OK again AHHHHHHH.
johng001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 21:29   #5 (permalink)

I have had my car go into gaurd mode a few times ( overboost ) when the car has been running around 3 to 4 minutes from cold. I also heard about the boost lowering and talked to my very trusted mech in the local dealership about it. He said the latest update has left the boost where it should be. Which i reckon he is right since the blimmin thing went in to gaurd mode agian today. Im going aftermarket for my next tune.
Old 05-07-2005, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Is this only T5s or are the T56s and autos being done too. If it is only the T5s then maybe there IS a problem and the box is just not up to the task.
Remember these cars have a designed lifespan of 10 years and/or 250,000 km.

Funny how the F6 ECU upgrade actually increases the output.
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 16:58   #7 (permalink)

It's all XR6t's auto and manual at the 40-45k service.
The Ford tech told me the cars are overboosting and cooking the engine plus generating more power, the way to tell if it's happening to you
if you plant your foot the car will have a dead spot 2000rpm and then go off its head.
He also told me if i get it done i will lose power. Thank god servicing is optional you dont have to get it done.

Now for my theory
The F6 is suposed to generate more power and go harder than the XR6T, from what i've seen on the road they don't. Maybe this is FoMoCo way of fixing this little problem by giving us a bullshit story and then taking power off us.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:03   #8 (permalink)

i wouldnt be surprised if it was done to simply seperate it from the typhoon, after the typhoon was such a big let down in straight line performance. the Mk2 XR6Ts are still pulling quick times acording to the journo's (having personally discussed this with Jesse Taylor (Motor Mag Editor)), so who knows? mabey it was just the use of a crap 'box in BA1
Old 05-14-2005, 00:52   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom XR Turbo
the Mk2 XR6Ts are still pulling quick times acording to the journo's (having personally discussed this with Jesse Taylor (Motor Mag Editor)), so who knows? mabey it was just the use of a crap 'box in BA1
Sorry but the mags have been quoting 14.8s for the Mk2 a far cry from the 14.1s quoted by Motor for the Mk1. O.7 of a second is quite a bit and you would be basically owned over 400m.
Call me paranoid but I think it has been knobbled as with the MK1 with reflash. That said there also others have claimed improved performance on stockers so go figure.
Damned dealer reflashed mine without my permission and it dropped from 280rwkw to 240rwkw and the mixtures were rich as . Wonder the thing ran at all .
Old 05-15-2005, 02:35   #10 (permalink)

Motor Mag Journo's have personally assured me that that particular MK2 XR6T that ran 14.8 was a complete dud, the worst one theyve driven, and i have also been assured that other MK2s they have driven have been consistant with BA1 times: 14.1 etc.
They said they would question Ford on it, but didnt think the MK2 had the same reflash as the BA1s are getting.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo