Baii Xr6t - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 20:10   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Baii Xr6t

after reading motormags top 9 muscle cars, makes it very clear that the transmission is the only part of the car they don't love, and again how it most likely would have taken out PCOTY if it had a decen manual tranmission..

There is no way this transmission is going to continue into BA II is there? Does anyone have a pretty good guess why it will be replaced with?
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2003, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

yeah i've heard conflicting stories on this. I've heard that BA2 won't be such a substantial upgrade as initially thought. Even the weight reductions will be minimal. The model after BA2 will have the mechanical and weight savings.

At this stage it's... who knows???
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 21:31   #3 (permalink)
BOF

The T5 must Go!!

I know I will get flammed for this but what is wrong with the Getrag 5 speed? It's the box in my VX S pack and I can assure you its 10 times better box than the one in my old mans Manual Au3 ute.

And if anyone doubts how strong it is, it did a fine job in Dick Johnsons Serrias and everyone elses Serrias during the late 80's early 90's and those things were good for almost 700hp with the boost wound right up in qualifing.
VC Valiant 245Hemi, 280zx Nissan 5 speed, 88 EA 3.9CFI,94 ED Gli X Chaser, 79 FC LTD, 351, FMX, 91 EA2 Fairmont Ghia, 1999 AU S pack, 2000 AU Forte, 1992 EB2 XR8, 2001 AU2 SR, 2002 VX2 Acclaim, 2002 VX2 Manual S pack,2003 BA XR6 manual, 2001 VX2 Berlina.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 00:35   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by BOF
The T5 must Go!!

I know I will get flammed for this but what is wrong with the Getrag 5 speed? It's the box in my VX S pack and I can assure you its 10 times better box than the one in my old mans Manual Au3 ute.

And if anyone doubts how strong it is, it did a fine job in Dick Johnsons Serrias and everyone elses Serrias during the late 80's early 90's and those things were good for almost 700hp with the boost wound right up in qualifing.
Oh BOF. Holden ownership has softened your grey matter.....

Surely you don't seriously believe the box in your VX S is the same that was in the Sierra Group A race cars??????

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:08   #5 (permalink)

BOF,
Those boxes are completely different - the Sierra box ended up with all it's internals made by Hollinger anyway.
Sixpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:47   #6 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

well actaully it was a whole new gearbox....dick used the same box (obviously rebuilt) in all his racecars up to his EF V8 supercar....the standard Getrag box is weak as piss....look if it were that easy ford would have done it.....the T-5 was the strongest one they could get that would fit the 6 and at reasonable price....the V8s use a stronger (but not by much) box is because it wouldn't fit on the 6 and the V8 was presumed to be more powerful then it really was, also it costs a far bit more...
bottom line is lets stop whinging about the T-5, it could be ALOT worse!!! if you don't like it, buy an auto!!!!

Dave.
-------------------------------
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
-------------------------------
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:47   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by JEM
yeah i've heard conflicting stories on this. I've heard that BA2 won't be such a substantial upgrade as initially thought. Even the weight reductions will be minimal. The model after BA2 will have the mechanical and weight savings.

At this stage it's... who knows???
l have no idea either JEM, but what you have said sounds reasonable and l hope you are right. The AU has terrible resale value and the last thing l want to see is a largely improved BA2 that losses significant weight and in the process harms BA1 resale values.

l reckon losing 30kg on the next model would be a good achievment without resorting to the use of more expensive metals etc.
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:09   #8 (permalink)
Movin!

I dont think much can be done about weight saving (maybe 40-60kg or so), car improvements don't come without additions to the scales. They come from using alternative materials to whats there. I'm sure the next commie will have the same dramas.

As far as the series 2 tranny goes i'm sure it'll be a shtyeload better than whats in it now, and will see 1/4's lowered quite significantly with g/b change alone....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo