The Beast broke down - any ideas? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2004, 18:21   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

The Beast broke down - any ideas?

I know, I know, this is a turbo thread and mine is NA. I post here because there is a large amount of guys who post here who have chips and who might be be able to give me an idea what my problem is....

OK. Had chip installed couple of months ago. For last month have had fairly nasty flat spot at about 3500 under acceleration. Take foot off throttle, is fine. Was driving up Flagstaff Hill Road the other night (moving house, so had car load of stuff) - and those of you in SA might understand how unpleasant a road that is to break down on - and the usual flat spot hit. However, I am going up this rather steep hill and kept foot on throttle. Flat spot turns into something else.

The engine just about stopped. Became totally unresponsive to the throttle, revving at just above stall, shaking all over the place and I am slowing on hill drastically. Manange to roll to top and find spot to pull over. Car is jumping around, about to stall, no response from throttle. Turn off. Wait a min and restart. Was fine and drove home.

Took to dyno guys next morning, they run on dyno, cant find anything. Take them for a drive and eventually it does the flat spot thing as it always has. Not sure what it is yet, but replaced plugs. Should also add that it has been surging a bit at low revs (hence plug change idea). I had not been ignoring the problem by the way, I was going to just leave it until its next service (not at Ford) in a week or so to get it sorted.

I have my own ideas what's up - but just wondering if you guys have had similar experiences or have any ideas what is going on? I would suggest non mechanical but electrical, possibly fuel management.... but that is my uninformed opinion. Is there a chip issue? I am thinking disconnect chip for few days to see..... Oh, and I should also add that the guys who did the chip are busting to find out what's going on and have been great - thanks guys!

Also, my clutch is dead - see next new thread.....
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 18:31   #2 (permalink)
gone

Re: The Beast broke down - any ideas?

What Chip was it? Unichip?

I would dump the chip, go for a drive and see if you can find that flat spot.

Having run unchips in my cars, the only way these things can be tuned properly IMO, is to have the thing on the road, with computer pluged in, and tunning on the fly

Also, i beleive there are better options to Unichips that some of the guys have discussed here
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 18:40   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge

Having run unchips in my cars, the only way these things can be tuned properly IMO, is to have the thing on the road, with computer pluged in, and tunning on the fly

Also, i beleive there are better options to Unichips that some of the guys have discussed here
Yes, Unichip - see sig.

Cool - thanks for the info - will check it all out - causing me huge frustration at mo.....its like having a sick kid that wont get better.....
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-04-2004, 22:24   #4 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Any positive feedback jacqui?

Sorry to here of the re-occuring problem. I realise Unichips have excellent output potential, but Im not too certain about what its doing to the stock ecu. Seems a little risky to muck around with factory settings imo. I hope you sort things out sooner rather than later.

cya
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:30   #5 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Any positive feedback jacqui?

Sorry to here of the re-occuring problem. I realise Unichips have excellent output potential, but Im not too certain about what its doing to the stock ecu. Seems a little risky to muck around with factory settings imo. I hope you sort things out sooner rather than later.

cya
Hey Shav, how's things?

Actually, I have had the plugs replaced and for now I have not had any recurring problems - so who knows? Apparently the plugs the guys took out were totally cactus - so perhaps they were interefering with the electronics somehow....

Guess we will see over the next week or so...
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-05-2004, 04:17   #6 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge

Good advise and I have experienced the same. Remove the chip first before you start playing around with anything else XRchic.

P.S Good to see another Adelaide member

Cheers,
Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 20:08   #7 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Good advise and I have experienced the same. Remove the chip first before you start playing around with anything else XRchic.

P.S Good to see another Adelaide member

Cheers,
Colville
Have I seen your car around??? Nice beast by the way - love Phantom!

Yeah, well as I said in my original post, I suggested to the guys at dyno that we disconnect the chip to see what's going on - to either eliminate that or not, as a cause.

However, I have not had ANY more trouble since the plugs were replaced last week - I didn't think that would work but it seems to have. Mind you, I have been a bit careful with it due to clutch problems (I am not sure the clutch is buggered yet though...)...so who knows? I am really hoping the plugs have fixed the problems although I doubt it somehow.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it - not often I get stuck not knowing what to do. The car is going back to Blackwood Dyno for its service on 20th April so they are going to have more of a look at it then.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-05-2004, 20:34   #8 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Have I seen your car around??? Nice beast by the way - love Phantom!.

Sounds like the plugs were the problem then, but they should last longer than that I would have thought.

I don't think I have seen your beautiful machine yet on the road, but I mainly drive in the city and around it, with my office based in Payneham. Other than that I live in the north eastern suburbs….a little way from Blackwood, but you never know. Adelaide is a small place.

Cheers,
Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 20:57   #9 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Sounds like the plugs were the problem then, but they should last longer than that I would have thought.

I don't think I have seen your beautiful machine yet on the road, but I mainly drive in the city and around it, with my office based in Payneham. Other than that I live in the north eastern suburbs….a little way from Blackwood, but you never know. Adelaide is a small place.

Cheers,
Colville
Yeah, well it seems the plugs were the problem - at this stage - for some reason tho I am not convinced that it is over yet...but yes, I was told the plugs were absolutely horrid so they may have been responsible for some of it.

I drive in the city too - work in Waymouth St - you might see it parked there in a little dirt car park. Will look out for yours - should stand out! XR8s always do! To me, anyway : )
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-05-2004, 22:01   #10 (permalink)
Bottle Feed Your Baby

do the sixes have the computer controlled throttle like the Boss? May have something to do with it
Tighe custom grind camshaft, 75mm Throttle body, EGR Spacer, Head pocket work, 11.5 comp, SRP forged Flat tops, Autronic Computer, Pacemakers, twin Mandrel bent 2.5" Exhuast, custom mandrel bent 3" air intake, Tremac 3650, Lowered, 18"s Polished roll bar, intake Manifold, Shortend 4" alloy taillshaft, Leather, Momo wheel and gear nob, Autometer C2 5"shiftlight tacho, air fuel meter. 50-250hp NOS Kit, 4:11 Diff gears, 2 12" subs and sony amp,
NOS 347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo

Related Reading: The Beast broke down - any ideas?