Ford Forums banner

Bizarre Herrod conversation today

5K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  fordboy1996 
#1 ·
Im considering getting a Herrod Stealth installed on my F6 Tornado before I pick it up. So I called Herrod today and spoke to a guy there (not Rob) who basically told me on the Tornado I would be much better off getting a cat-back exhaust system fitted BEFORE the edit as the stock exhaust system is very restrictive.

He recommended I wouldn't get much extra power with the stealth without the exhaust mod first, probably 20kw.

Now this goes against everything I've been reading about. Especially from Herrods as from memory they almost guarantee an extra 50kw off the shelf.

Tell me this guy was dreaming?

I'm aware a custom tune would definitely be better than an off-the shelf stealth. So that will come later.

#2 ·
Terebro said:
Im considering getting a Herrod Stealth installed on my F6 Tornado before I pick it up. So I called Herrod today and spoke to a guy there (not Rob) who basically told me on the Tornado I would be much better off getting a cat-back exhaust system fitted BEFORE the edit as the stock exhaust system is very restrictive.

He recommended I wouldn't get much extra power with the stealth without the exhaust mod first, probably 20kw.

Now this goes against everything I've been reading about. Especially from Herrods as from memory they almost guarantee an extra 50kw off the shelf.

I'm aware a custom tune would definitely be better than an off-the shelf stealth. So that will come later.
From my experience I would strongly recommend you do the edit first. I own a Typhoon and living in Perth, was able to get Simon from Xtreme to work his magic on her. No mechanical changes what so ever and he was able to find an extra "50rwkw +". She now runs 252 rwkw on all standard mechanicals. :whoaa: Worth every cent!

Peter

#3 ·
Terebro said:

Stick to WA mate..... Simon has done probably more Typhoons than any one in aus and we know he has done probably the first 2 Tornado's in Aus with a lot more than 20RWKW's so why would you go east for a tune?
Its all here in your own back yard!!!!
Look at Peters (Aussie_Geo) for example thats 44rwkws up on my stock dyno STD. :driver:

#4 ·
Mate no worries about that. If anyone is going to be tuning it it will be Simon I can guarantee that!

Because its a lease vehicle if you recall, I have to sort out what mods I want BEFORE I take delivery of the vehicle. So I have to think about these things now. Im going with Herrod because McInerney Ford (their sole WA distributor) say it does not affect new car warranty. They'll be fitting the stealth, then I'll get Simon to tune it.

Yeah thats what I thought Aussie_Geo cheers.
I dont know what this guy from Herrods was talking about. Perhaps looking for more revenue?
:whatever:

#5 ·
Mate, from the cat back is twin 2 1/2".. the restrictive part is the cat.. Ask him where he gets his information from, based on what results.. Also ask him what he reccomends as a replacement exhaust ( just to humour him ).. twin 2 1/2 is equal to a 3 1/2" single, so he'd better be backing a 4" drain pipe in his package, if he wants to improve' your exhaust flow... Remembering by the time it gets back there, it's cooled off and 2 x 2 1/2 is plenty for just an edit/injector combo..

Maybe he'll tell you they have 'hi-flow' mufflers or something..

Dump pipe and cat maybe a worthwhile replacement option, if they do them, but by the looks of their site they don't.

BTW, their cat back exhaust on average gives an 8rwkw gain over stock..

Tell them what YOU want, not the other way round.

#6 ·
I just called him to ask how much their 'off the shelf' Stealth tunes will give me, and if they have an F6 tune available too. Then he went into the 'exhaust first' spiel.

Of course he recommended their own $700 cat-back system.

I had none and still dont have any plans to modify my exhaust as Ive heard plenty that the stock system is fine up until around 300rwkw.

#7 ·
Sounds like they only want to sell the addons. Not knocking Rob, but it is pretty sad that they will try to push their other products on you when you dont need them or want them.

Personally I would stick with the stock system and maybe just add in some higher flowing cats. I know that Simon was working on a comparison for them.

#10 ·
Terebro said:

I think they are trying to extend their bank account, the Typhoon system is capable of flowing at least 350 fwkw before it becomes restrictive, then all you have to do is put in a 3'' hi flow cat and it will free up. n entire new system will only give you a different note. The restriction is in ther cat, not the exhaust. Save your money for other things, like bigger injectors and an edit. :hy: :driver:

#11 ·
Yeah I dont think I'll bother with the exhaust.

I'll have to see what Mr Warranty & Mrs Insurance have to say before I think about injectors.

Spoke to Suncorp Insurance today and they rock... no problems with edit & suspension lowering, didnt change the Premium.
Shannons on the other hand refuse to budge on their premium and wanted to charge me an extra $1600 for my trouble. Thanks for the good times Shannons but cya!

#13 · (Edited)
Terebro said:
I just called him to ask how much their 'off the shelf' Stealth tunes will give me, and if they have an F6 tune available too. Then he went into the 'exhaust first' spiel.

Of course he recommended their own $700 cat-back system.

I had none and still dont have any plans to modify my exhaust as Ive heard plenty that the stock system is fine up until around 300rwkw.
The stock exhaust is fine from the cat back, if you are going to do anything to the exhaust just do the cat and dump pipe, you will get a better result if you are chasing up to 300rwkw.

He did the exact same thing with me. When I asked him how much the exhaust would give the car he said "about 3 - 6 kw. " I thought wow, the stock exhaust is that restrictive that they get a wopping 6kw out of their exhaust for $700.

I would go throught the whole dilemma I had first which triggered the conversation but I dont want to discredit him too much. Anyway after him telling me the exhaust would fix all my problems, I wasnt satisfied and sent the box to Simon (from Xtreme) to tune and all my problems were sorted better than I expected.

#15 ·
Glen said:
The stock exhaust is fine from the cat back, if you are going to do anything to the exhaust just do the cat and dump pipe, you will get a better result if you are chasing up to 300rwkw.

He did the exact same thing with me. When I asked him how much the exhaust would give the car he said "about 3 - 6 kw. " I thought wow, the stock exhaust is that restrictive that they get a wopping 6kw out of their exhaust for $700.

I would go throught the whole dilemma I had first which triggered the conversation but I dont want to discredit him too much. Anyway after him telling me the exhaust would fix all my problems, I wasnt satisfied and sent the box to Simon (from Xtreme) to tune and all my problems were sorted better than I expected.
Don't waste your money on a dump pipe either. I fell for that one myself until a certain someone decided to measure the factory one on an xr6T. It is 2.88 inches, so all us fools who have been forking out hard earned for these apparent performance enhancements have been shafted again, what would .12 of an inch be worth in power gains? 1/2 a rwkw on a windless day I reckon, all you need to do to the stock exhaust is the CAT anything else is just expensive wishfull thinking. :driver: :driver: :hy:

#17 ·
Hypnodoc said:
Don't waste your money on a dump pipe either. I fell for that one myself until a certain someone decided to measure the factory one on an xr6T. It is 2.88 inches, so all us fools who have been forking out hard earned for these apparent performance enhancements have been shafted again, what would .12 of an inch be worth in power gains? 1/2 a rwkw on a windless day I reckon, all you need to do to the stock exhaust is the CAT anything else is just expensive wishfull thinking. :driver: :driver: :hy:
The original dump pipe is 3" o.d which is about that 2.88 i.d. I had a look at a stock dump pipe today and thought it looked big enough. So yeah I might just get the Cat changed and see how that makes a difference.

Thanks for the heads up, you may have just saved me a few thousand bucks. :hy:

#19 ·
Hypnodoc said:

Doc, I agree somewhat on 3" dumper, but moving to 4" would not see an over amount of power production over stock either, on the amount of power they make with injectors, but would make the turbo spool up quicker and change the characteristics of power delivery..

Not all mods are done for outright power increases, but a better power delivery can be better and more rewarding than just more power imo..

just another 2c..

#20 ·
Terebro said:
Mate no worries about that. If anyone is going to be tuning it it will be Simon I can guarantee that!

Because its a lease vehicle if you recall, I have to sort out what mods I want BEFORE I take delivery of the vehicle. So I have to think about these things now. Im going with Herrod because McInerney Ford (their sole WA distributor) say it does not affect new car warranty. They'll be fitting the stealth, then I'll get Simon to tune it.

Yeah thats what I thought Aussie_Geo cheers.
I dont know what this guy from Herrods was talking about. Perhaps looking for more revenue?
:whatever:
Terebro,

Can you clarify that your dealer said that the stealth does not affect the warranty? My dealer in canberra said that even fitting an aftermarket airfilter could affect the warranty if they could establish that the power of the motor was improved through any modification.

#21 ·
Yes.

My dealer is the sole distributor of Herrod gear in WA.
As long as its fitted and tuned by said dealer, it will not affect warranty.

Problem being, if I want to get it custom tuned by someone else, I need to get my tuner to go to the dealer and do the tune there.

#22 ·
Now that is bizarre, the dealer in Canberra has told me that even Herrod stuff will affect the warranty, even though it is fitted by the dealer it is not approved by the factory.

The dealer told me that Herrod's arrangement is with the dealers and has no approval by the factory.

As its the factory that pays for warrenty work I would double check with Ford and not believe everything the dealer says. On the other hand my dealer could have his facts wrong.

The fact that most owners hide the edit from their dealers would suggest that Ford would not be happy to pay for warranty on a car that has been edited.

#24 ·
One thing I've learnt over the years are that dealers are full of shit when it comes to warranty. At the end of the day they are just customers of the factory and can only do work that the factory approves or they don't get paid.

I would be getting something that is some type of legal documentation saying the stealth does not affect warranty. But I can almost bet you that Ford will not pay a claim on the motor or drive train if the motor has been modified in a way that has increased the power of the motor whether the mod was fitted by a Ford dealer or not. It would also be unfortunate if you had to go to court so you could get your car fixed just cause the dealer lied.

The other thing is that if the dealer fits the stealth then Ford will know for sure that you have been using one. If you buy and fit the stealth yourself at least you can hide it from Ford.

#25 ·
patmore1 said:
One thing I've learnt over the years are that dealers are full of shit when it comes to warranty. At the end of the day they are just customers of the factory and can only do work that the factory approves or they don't get paid.

I would be getting something that is some type of legal documentation saying the stealth does not affect warranty. But I can almost bet you that Ford will not pay a claim on the motor or drive train if the motor has been modified in a way that has increased the power of the motor whether the mod was fitted by a Ford dealer or not. It would also be unfortunate if you had to go to court so you could get your car fixed just cause the dealer lied.

The other thing is that if the dealer fits the stealth then Ford will know for sure that you have been using one. If you buy and fit the stealth yourself at least you can hide it from Ford.
I can vouch for the dealer Terebo is talking about, i had almost everyaftermarket part you could think of on my ute and they fixed my warranty issues..

#26 ·
Did you have a stealth fitted and have you blown up a gearbox or motor? Not trying to be smart but if in fact your dealer does warrant such things than this is the best news ever, I'm sure a lot of people will be going down the same path you have and getting a stealth fitted from the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.