Blow off valve in a Typhoon? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 16:30   #1 (permalink)

Blow off valve in a Typhoon?

Hey guys, I'm not 100% sure what a blow off valve does, but would it boost performance in a Typhoon?

They sound neat :o
Falcon-DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 16:45   #2 (permalink)
RACE

Re: Blow off valve in a Typhoon?

What it does is is release excess boost pressure out into the atmosphere during gear changes rather than the air going back the wrong way toward the turbocharger. If this happens, the turbocharger slows down. So the blow-off valve stops this from happening which results in maximum available boost pressure.

The loud ones you hear are really only for show.
Old 01-07-2005, 20:33   #3 (permalink)

I noticed all the rally guys at the rally of Canberra don't use them any more, they use some form of exhaust fuel ignition system. (not sure how that works or if it is appropriate for the XRT ). Was interesting to see all of the really seriously fast WRX's, EVO's etc with pea-shooter exhuasts as opposed to bazookas like all the ricers.

As for the blow-off's sounding cool, plenty of people reckon they do (and fair enough horses for courses) but I would have said they sound annoying. I do like the sound of turbos spooling up though.

Falcon XR8 - "A car powerful like a Gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball"
BossyXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:11   #4 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
What it does is is release excess boost pressure out into the atmosphere during gear changes rather than the air going back the wrong way toward the turbocharger. If this happens, the turbocharger slows down. So the blow-off valve stops this from happening which results in maximum available boost pressure.

The loud ones you hear are really only for show.
Actually it vents back into the inlet manifold on the vacuum side. You can get loud and quiet BOVs that all plumb internally, the loud ones hide the compressor surge which is all you hear on the XR6 T/F6, since there isn't much boost to dump when the throttle body snaps shut on lift off.

However my standard BOV is rather loud for a stock T, turns heads on lift off.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52   #5 (permalink)
RACE

Yep you're right YOOT. I was thinking more along the lines of the aftermarket style.
Old 01-08-2005, 13:56   #6 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Stealth FX make an adjustable one, it will fit in where the bosche unit is, and you can select from 10 settings, full vent to full plumb back. In other words, full loud or fully quiet mate, sik.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:48   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossyXR8
I noticed all the rally guys at the rally of Canberra don't use them any more, they use some form of exhaust fuel ignition system. (not sure how that works or if it is appropriate for the XRT ). Was interesting to see all of the really seriously fast WRX's, EVO's etc with pea-shooter exhuasts as opposed to bazookas like all the ricers.

As for the blow-off's sounding cool, plenty of people reckon they do (and fair enough horses for courses) but I would have said they sound annoying. I do like the sound of turbos spooling up though.
That would be an anti lag system that keeps the turbo compressor spinning when decelerating or when your off throttle
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 15:16   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
That would be an anti lag system that keeps the turbo compressor spinning when decelerating or when your off throttle
Yep, I think that's it.

Falcon XR8 - "A car powerful like a Gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball"
BossyXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo