Build Quality issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 00:46   #1 (permalink)

mad Build Quality issues

G'day all.

I've got a ba1 xr6t that I've had since new, august last year-7km's actually.
I was wondering if anybody else has had build quality issues with their cars?

Since new i've had a string of problems with things like the door bumper strips on both sides coming off, the passenger side seat slide not locking in properly, also on the passenger front side the power window sounds like it's labouring it's guts out when going up and that door's inside panel has come loose.
the rear doors on both side have the rubber surrounds for the quarter glass peeling away. The rear bumper has warped so that when the boot is closed the top lip of the bumper actually touches the bottom of the boot.
there is a rattle from the front that sounds like Im dragging some empty cans on a string. and to top it all off today i went to check the oil and the entire bonnet release mechanism broke off of the dash and now hangs down over the throttle pedal!
I know that individually these aren't massive problems but it's more than a little frustrating and disapointing to find these kind of problems on a brand new car.
Especially when I live 15oo km's from the nearest reputable ford service agent.
XR6tEnvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 06:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: Build Quality issues

sorry dude...sounds like you got a poorly built one!!

The only similarity i've had is snapping the bonnet release handle when being too eager to show my mates what's lurking underneath!

It's happened to heaps of my BA owning mates.

The ford service stooges can mod/shorten the cable to correct this.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:46   #3 (permalink)
Blueprint T

No problems to speak of with my T, other than a noisy heater fan.
All good here.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:43   #4 (permalink)

Yeah does your heater fan sound like it has a thin bit of cardboard stuck in the blades?
I got that too. Heard it in an XR8 sedan also.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:33   #5 (permalink)
Blueprint T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomXRT
Yeah does your heater fan sound like it has a thin bit of cardboard stuck in the blades?
I got that too. Heard it in an XR8 sedan also.
Thats the one. The Ford man was good enough to change it over for me.
Old 06-17-2005, 22:37   #6 (permalink)

I had some of the problems you mention with my last car which was a Mk1 XT Falcon including the bonnet release snapping and problems with trim and seals coming off. Most of this was around the 50 000 km mark right before I got rid of it so could possible be put down to wear and tear rather than build quality. Brakes were shocking which is well noted in these forums. Had the discs replaced at 30 000km service because they were too badly warped to even be machined, but even the new discs had to machined after about 10 000kms because the shudder had returned.

My new XR6T which I have just clocked 7000kms on, has some minor problems also. The power sterring does not work at idle but will when the car is revved. Makes me look like an idiot who can't drive a manual when parking it because I have to rev the guts out of it to get the p/s to kick in. There is also a rattle coming from under the car when idling and the brakes squeel. Thisis depite buying the premium stoppers which I got specifically because of my bad experience with the standard brakes. The car is going in next week to get all these problems looked at.
Old 06-18-2005, 20:39   #7 (permalink)

Wait...now we are on to warranty issues .....I forgot to mention these probs i had rectified.

My LSD (diff) had a severe groan in it when reversing...like serious enough for ppl who know nothing about cars to hear it and say "...holy shite what's that noise?..."
It was like a whirring groan...and it did it when warmed up going in a forward direction...but only when i turned left or right.
Turned out that my left rear wheel was locking up when reversing or while turning....or something similar. Diff gears were shoddy. Ford fixed it.

I also had to have a new radiator put in at 36,000km due to a tiny split in the left hand side main-seam. You could smell hot coolant everytime I put her away in the shed. So Ford replaced that too.

Try and bulletproof your 'T' before your warranty is up ppl coz....u gotta remember, as cool as they are, Ford still have some niggles too iron out in production quality issues.

I thought the MK 2 would be much more bulletproof than the Mk 1.

Finally got my ROH Modenas in 19" all round too....pics are coming!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:56   #8 (permalink)
walking power

Quote:
Finally got my ROH Modenas in 19" all round too....pics are coming!
Now im jealous
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39   #9 (permalink)

with the AP bfake kit it should look smashing....i live in the country so...lowering it isn't really an option. The ride height is scary enough as is on some roads round here!
Lots of dirt in between tar.....that means potholes! I will be taking the long way to get anywhere with those Modenas on I tell you now!!

It's also getting a Di Filllipo Turbo Pipe kit to chrome up the engine bay...guys at Aussie Car Enhancements think that my current BOV may not fit their adaptor. Bummer hey....might have to run a smaller one.

Have u lowered yours Fordy? Or are you running a Typhoon like the pic suggests.
Speaking of...saw my first Typhoon on the road today. Haha ford turbo's are so cool...no matter what shape or form.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:58   #10 (permalink)
walking power

Quote:
with the AP bfake kit it should look smashing....i live in the country so...lowering it isn't really an option. The ride height is scary enough as is on some roads round here!
Lots of dirt in between tar.....that means potholes! I will be taking the long way to get anywhere with those Modenas on I tell you now!!

It's also getting a Di Filllipo Turbo Pipe kit to chrome up the engine bay...guys at Aussie Car Enhancements think that my current BOV may not fit their adaptor. Bummer hey....might have to run a smaller one.

Have u lowered yours Fordy? Or are you running a Typhoon like the pic suggests.
Speaking of...saw my first Typhoon on the road today. Haha ford turbo's are so cool...no matter what shape or form.

Havnt lowered it yet but will do as soon as i sort some things out.

Mate check out the turbo forums there are a few other options other than the difillipo kit, im not a fan of that one at all.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo