Busted clutch at 14 000km - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2004, 18:35   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Busted clutch at 14 000km

Hi again - this is related to my other thread re the Beast breaking down....

When I took it back to the dyno guys to have them look at the flat spot/break down problem, they guys drove it and found the clutch was stuffed - slipping all over the place. I told them I had not noticed this myself but on thinking about it now, I reckon I might have (but put it down to my own bad driving) - and I had also been a bit kinder to it of late due to this flat spot thing....

Anyway, it has done just a tad under 14 000km, and it is pretty much cactus. It is OK just under normal driving conditions but its gonna need cash spent on it. Now, before you all ask, no, I don't do particularly stupid things with my clutch - I drive it hard, yeah, but no more than anyone else on this site (he he) but this is surely not hard enough to kill a clutch this quickly.

I might also add, I drove a Festiva before this, and hammered that too - sold it at 55 000km and never had a clutch problem.

My question is: should a clutch last more than 14 000km in these things with driving that would be considered in the normal range for these cars? And am I totally screwed when it comes to warranty since clutch plates are likely not to be a warranty item? I mean, I know that, but even so, I would have expected it to last longer than this and Ford should not be able to get out of that by saying it is not covered by warranty.....IMO.

Anyone else had their clutches go too early????

Oh, and NO, DONT EVEN SUGGEST GETTING AN AUTO - AINT GONNA HAPPEN!!!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 22:17   #2 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

Re: Busted clutch at 14 000km

That sure seems a bit early for a clutch!
I'd say for it to go that early, either there was a problem with the clutches manufacture or its from heaps of slipping of the clutch, ie, resting your foot, holding it on hills by the clutch, taking off fast with huge slippage, etc.
The worst speedy driving cant hurt a clutch that quick, in fact, being rough with quick gear changes and very rough take offs wont hurt your clutch much at all, as long as you arent slipping it at all and bang the clutch in and out.

Some small cars clutches can wear out at 10,000, but just because of the drivers slipping style(know of some such examples), however they can last over 100,000 with the worst racing crunching thumping wheelspinning crazy wacky banging high speed(up to *** often) gearchanges, as long as theres no slipping!
I've had gearbox bearings and 3 sets of synchros in a hyundai accent gearbox break, and still didnt need a clutch change(did it anyway tho at 120,000, as it just cost the clutch part price and not labour as was a warranty repair). Shows you can be rough on the gears, but not the clutch.

So if its not your fault(slipping) its definitely a warranty repair.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2004, 04:20   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Cheers ED Manual, thanks for the info! I must admit to the odd spot of holding the car on hills with the clutch/accelerator balancing thing, but only very rarely (like, maybe 5 times since I have had it).

Interestingly, on the way home from the Motor Show tonight, I decided to give it a proper test and drive up a nice hill....in 4th.... and then rev it up while letting clutch in and out..... did it till it got hot and smelly.... didn't slip once, engaged right back in and resumed normal revs really quickly. I was thinking this would be the best test since the clutch would be under the greatest torque load at this point (say 4500 revs). Nothing happened, even when it got hot. The problems that the guys had with it who found the problem found it on takeoff...

So now I am not sure what is going on at all. All I know is that I should trade the car in on the F6 I saw tonight... : )
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-03-2004, 04:26   #4 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Waiting for sbutler to arrive.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 04:40   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

They don't have strong clutch's in them so it looks after T5 gear box..They can slip at times but doesn't mean its totally stuffed...The pressure plate could have more clamping pressure, but it could be at the expense of gear box and [Hmmm]they are covered by warrenty....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 05:12   #6 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
They don't have strong clutch's in them so it looks after T5 gear box..They can slip at times but doesn't mean its totally stuffed...The pressure plate could have more clamping pressure, but it could be at the expense of gear box and [Hmmm]they are covered by warrenty....
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the case since they build manuals with clutches as the weakest point to protect the boxes - and it does seem the T5 needs the protection (from me??? He he).

I guess it's a bloody good reason to get the T (stonger clutch) but does this mean the T box is more susceptible to damage - stronger clutch means more punishment on the box with more power???? Perhaps it's an even better reason to forget the T5 and go for the 8s with the Tremec....
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-05-2004, 22:04   #7 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

Yeh, I know someone from FastFoursForums with an N/A XR6 BA with a slipping clutch problem..........but he was doing a burnout, so yeh

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 22:37   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
Yeh, I know someone from FastFoursForums with an N/A XR6 BA with a slipping clutch problem..........but he was doing a burnout, so yeh

Me, do burnout? Is THAT what did it???

Nah, I am not even sure that it is gone at all now.... I have it a good test the other night in 4th and all it did was get hot and smelly - but no slippage. And that is the best test you can give it. So whether there is some other problem besides clutch plates, I dunno yet.

Anyway, what is someone with an XR6 doing on the FastFoursForums? He he.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-05-2004, 22:47   #9 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
:Anyway, what is someone with an XR6 doing on the FastFoursForums? He he.
Well, i drive a Commodore and im on FastFours and FordForums.............now THAT is strange

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 22:52   #10 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
Well, i drive a Commodore and im on FastFours and FordForums.............now THAT is strange
Yeah, that's funny! But your'e getting the T, so good enough reason to get on here, huh? Wish I was getting a T! At least you get a decent clutch!

Why don't ya check out the Holden forums? Bet they'd be a laugh....
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo