Buy an XR6T second-hand or new? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2003, 22:40   #1 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

Buy an XR6T second-hand or new?

I know I have just bought the EB XR8, but after already spending a fair bit of money on it, fixing little things (because the previous owner didn’t look after it) I am now seriously considering selling the car. It just seems like everytime I fix one thing, something else goes wrong with the car. The car seems to be fine now, but it’s just not the same as the ED. I looked after the ED, and it always ran fine, never leaked oil, never creaked or groaned always went well. The XR8 on the other hand, always feels like an older car. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great car, but I think I just want something better.

So I’m thinking of buying an XR6 turbo. I went to the Ford dealers and had a look at the cars there - and I love them – I don’t have to tell you guys (you all love them, especially you lucky owners out there). I’m thinking of buying a second hand XR6 turbo, from a Ford dealer, will save myself heaps of money – I’m guessing anyway. Anyway, just wanted to get some advice on what to expect to with these cars – price, condition, mileage etc.

I looked at one today at John McGrath in Canberra. It was red, tiptronic, 6 stacker, 10,000 kilometres on it, October 2002 build. Apparently it used to be a Ford exec car. Although the price concerned me - $49,990. Aren’t they around that price brand new? I’ve worked out insurance, so financing shouldn’t be a problem through Ford Credit (they said that I would need to get comprehensive insurance if I were to finance the car). I thought though, if this is how much they are going for second hand, I may as well spend the extra few grand and get a new one.

What do you guys think? How much should I pay for a second hand one? How much did you guys pay new? Has anyone else financed through Ford Credit? What is their interest rate? I’ve had a look at their website, but can’t find too much info there.
- GT scoop and wing
- Kenwood mp3 player, Kenwood splits and 6x9s
- Momo woodgrain steering wheel & gearknob
ED195KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2003, 22:53   #2 (permalink)
walking power

Re: Buy an XR6T second-hand or new?

Id spend a bit more and go new at least you can get the colour you want, options,etc etc.. and no one else has owned it.

Heres a thread i started on Ford Credit let me know how you go with them as i still havnt decided.
Ford Credit
Old 07-06-2003, 23:14   #3 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Mate of mine bought one locally on saturday, white, colour stereo, auto for $45,000 drive away.
It had 64km on the clock , that is 0000064.
I think you are being scammed.
There is a Venom manual there too at about the same price and a manual XR8 in yellow (rush) for about 48k
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 23:25   #4 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

As for the Ford Credit thread - are you as confused as I am as to which way to go? Some people like them, some people hate them. I'd say by looking at that thread that Ford Credit is a reasonably safe option, but it does have it's downsides.... yes?

As for the price, $49,990 is definately too much right? How much were they new? What should I pay for this one with 10,000 on the clock?
- GT scoop and wing
Old 07-07-2003, 02:40   #5 (permalink)
SM

Check www.carsales.com.au and do a search in the used section for BA XR6 and you will get a good guide. There are BA XR8's for sale for less than that. Of course options may make a difference.

Last edited by SM; 07-07-2003 at 02:47.
SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 17:37   #6 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

I think I will probably go for a new one, the price difference isn't really that big, and for piece of mind, it's worth it. Maybe I should wait for series II? When is this due to be released?
- GT scoop and wing
Old 07-07-2003, 20:46   #7 (permalink)

ED195,

I spoke to the guys at Gregory's last week about a black 5sp XR6T, 18's and premium sound. $50990 plus on roads and stamp duty (was Vic reg) = somewhere around $53k+ drive away. Also had Phantom auto XR6T, $50990. They reckon that they are hard to get through the dealer auctions so they pay a premium on the second hand price and have to pass it on.

For that money you can order a newby with your own options and colour if you are prepared to wait. The "rarity" and the fact you have to wait for a new one make the second hand ones seem attractive but you pay in options and colour selection if you are fussy.

It is still a fair bit of money to just be satisifed rather than ecstatic like some of the boys are with new ones they chose and optioned.

Any one know what's around the Sydney used market?

I'm in the same position as you, wanting, cashed but not sure which way to go. I'm thinking the same to wait for BAII plus some of the other goodies due out early next year. Territory? Maybe a surprise dual cab falcon ute. Fingers crossed.
AJ's XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 21:28   #8 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

I just went over to John McGrath again and test drove that XR6 Turbo with the 10,000k's on it. I have to say I was impressed. They took my car for a spin while I was driving theirs and afterwards we compared notes...

The fact that the VIN number had been removed and replaced on my XR8 made them very sceptical - until I presented the documents explaining that it had been stolen and recovered. Then they offered me a trade in quote for my XR, bloddy ridiculous, but what I expected. So I'll most probably sell the XR8 privately.

Anyway, we sat down and worked out finance, I'm approved (no obligation of course) for the $49,990 + insurance costs, but I told them that if I did buy the car, it wouldn't be for that price. I told them I'd have to have a long hard think about it (read: convince the missus).

I think I would prefer a different colour, so I'm thinking of giving this car the flick, although it does have the premium sound, traction control, side air bags, sports wheel... books show it has been owned by Ford since new.

McGrath finance through GE capital finance, interest rate offered was 10.75%, although this was just a guide, they said they can offer lower rates, but with extra fees. Works out to be around $220 a week with a $10,000 deposit over five years.
- GT scoop and wing
Old 07-08-2003, 00:01   #9 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

Go for the new for sure, premium sound and side airbags dont help when you go to trade it in later on, so i wouldnt bother with them, same with the steering wheel, your better off with a brand new one! As for the finance 10 % is a bit rich me thinks? Maybe you should shop around a bit more!! Im sure if you looked hard enough you should be able to get it for 8%, but it depends where you go ofcourse.

As for the Ford Credit inhouse people, they add their commission into that, and personally I wouldnt touch Ford Credit, as they are known to be shonky. Maybe your better off going where you do your own banking and have your funds stored? Neways good luck with it what ever decision you make.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:47   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED195KW
IMcGrath finance through GE capital finance, interest rate offered was 10.75%, although this was just a guide, they said they can offer lower rates, but with extra fees. Works out to be around $220 a week with a $10,000 deposit over five years.
Shop around for your finanace, the Ford dealer offered me just under 7% (business rate) while I just undercut this with a broker (Creditline in Vic). All the Ford exec cars are turned over every 7 months (unless the option of buying it is taken up) and so they are then passed on the auction companies for Ford dealers to purchase. It could even have been driven by the spouse of a Ford employee.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo