Can I play CD-RW discs? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2003, 00:15   #1 (permalink)
gspierings

Can I play CD-RW discs?

Hi all,

About to take delivery of my car next week (after three and a half months wait) and I want to burn a few CDs for first long distace trip away. Does the CD player that comes in the standard sound system play CD rewritable disks (CD-RW)? The one in my current car is happy to play CD recordable discs (CD-R) but refuses to read CD-RW discs.

Has anyone had any success with CD-RWs?

P.S. I was told by the dealer that if I had ordered a XR6-T with auto, I probably could have had the car within a fortnight. I asked for a manual and it is now three months. Even the custom leather only added two days to the order, the rest of the wait was with Mr Ford. Are they hand building these bloody things!

Cheers,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 01:23   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Re: Can I play CD-RW discs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspierings

Has anyone had any success with CD-RWs?

A big welcome to the forum Gary.

Sounds like you have a nice machine coming your way. I think you will find that the system 'should' play CD-RW, however you need to use quality CD's that have a blue tint on their underside. I assume your burning music that you have a license for of course:

As for the wait, I think they are really pushing the auto's now and dealer are taking stock as they appear to be more popular. I'm a bit surprised on the 3 month wait however for the manual

Cheers,
Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:46   #3 (permalink)
gspierings

Thanks for the welcome to the forum and the info. Yes, I am looking forward to getting the new car as I am currently driving a VT commodore on lpg and burning about 40,000 km per year between Syd and Canberra and life is too short to be doing that in a car that handles like a sponge.

I am currently using Verbatime datalife CD-RWs which are very good quality discs, however, I have never seen a CD-RW disc that uses blue dye (have seen them in CD-R discs). My understanding is that the CD-RW disc has a different reflectivity to that of the CD-R disc and that is the reason some CD audio players can't read them. My good lady has a Saab 93 less than a year old and it won't play the CD-RWs. I assume it is the older technology they are using in their players! Has anyone successfully played a CD-RW in the BA falcon system?

As for the 3.5 month wait for the car, yes I am amazed it has been such a long time. I was originally told it would be 2 or 2.5 months and about a week after placing the deposit (mid Jul) the confirmed the SIDO number and said dealer delivery on 1 Oct. On 30 Sep I rang the dealer (I won't mention their name but they are a Ford dealer at Artarmon in Sydney ) and they said the salesman I had been dealing with no longer worked their. A quick chat to the sales manager revealed that the new delivery date would be 18 Oct (last Sat). No apology for not bothering to ring me! Again, a phone call this time two days prior to the expected delivery only to be told again that another delay of a week. Getting a little annoyed at this stage by their lack of customer focus (they had a customer focus right up until I parted with my $1000 deposit). So, they get the car the end of this week, the dealer stuff, window tint, custom leather and I should then see the car mid next week. All up, 3.5 months!

I only hope it is still the current model by the time I take delivery of it.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 10-20-2003, 18:45   #4 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Im pretty sure you can not play any cd-rw cd's on any Stereo other than computer CD-ROMS. I have tried on countless cars and home steroes with no prevail.
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 21:18   #5 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1SIXA
Im pretty sure you can not play any cd-rw cd's on any Stereo other than computer CD-ROMS. I have tried on countless cars and home steroes with no prevail.
I have a Kenwood z919 in my EL and it plays CD-RW discs fine and dandy. Maybe making the stereos not read CD-RW's is their way of trying to slow down piracy. If people want to copy music then they'll have to at least buy blank CD-R's each time rather than re-use CD-RW's. Dunno, just a thought...
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 23:41   #6 (permalink)
gspierings

Possibly a cunning plan to stop piracy but I can't imagine that the manufacturers of car audio systems give a toss about piracy. I am sure they are more interested in getting more people to play music on their machines.

I don't like piracy either but I also don't like 75% of the music that comes on each CD. Hence the reason I get the ones I do like and burn them on a CD-RW if possible.

I like both kinds of music..... country and western!
Old 10-26-2003, 16:13   #7 (permalink)

re cd-rw i have burnt cds and play them all the time in my au2 xr8 it has premium sound system dont no if that helps and for the problems with your ford dealer, i have had my ute back in the shop 4 times in the last mth,was not steering right,first time for 15,000 klm service they left the lock nuts lose,the had major tyre wear back again and again,on the third visit i was told i need a wheel balance and alignement,which should have been carried out on the 15,000 klm service. after a lot of problems i was getting sick and tired off all the crap so i wrote a letter 2 customer service, and funny enough next week car was fixed after they put it on 2 car hoists and found that all the cambers toe in and out and sway bars were out by a mile,my point is if u have a problem with them put it in writting, it shore dose make a differance,now unhappy ford customer turns back into happy ford customer.
xr8uteau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 16:32   #8 (permalink)

Well depends on the unit as well
I had mine replaced in my AU2, looks identical etc but no longer plays any burnt disks no matter what the format
Apparently there were a lot of different units even though they looked the same
But the unit that came from the factory played everything, no problems
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 18:35   #9 (permalink)

I play cdr's all the time in my BA, so you will have no problems dude ;-)

Try driving with ya window down as well, you will soon turn your radio off :)
Xr6_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:45   #10 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

just make sure when it finally arrives that it's got the right engines, the right transmission and the right interior... been known to come with the wrong engine...

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo