Disappointed XR6 Turbo Owner - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2003, 03:50   #1 (permalink)

mad Disappointed XR6 Turbo Owner

I own a BA Falcon XR6 Turbo Ute and have a major problem with it.
It is supposed to have 450nM of torque between 2000 and 4500 rpm, I have had mine dynoed and it actually drops off in torque at 2000 rpm and doesnt pick up agin untill 3500rpm. It is 35- 40% down from Fords torque specs in this rev range.
It is supposed to have 4psi boost at 2000rpm, mine only has 1.5psi, at 3500rpm it finally has 4psi boost, and at 5250rpm it has nearly 5 psi boost when it is supposed to have 7.6psi. At 5250rpm, it only has 150 rear wheel kW. It has been to and from Ford for the last 3 months (since i bought it new) and they have had a few mechanics look it, they even sent a mechanic up from Melbourne, who said that he thought it wasnt far off the pace and basically didnt want anything to do with it while the dealer mechanic admits that it has a serious problem, he described it as a gutless piece of crap. It has no go until it hits 3500rpm, and i have been dragged off by last years model Fairmont Ghia... I want to know if anyone else has had any trouble like this as Ford dont seem to want to know anything about it and i want to take the matter to consumer affairs. The Ute in general is a very good vehicle, except for the power factor. Id be happy to hear from anyone else with a similar problem with the data to back it up as i want to get this matter sorted out one way or another ie, fair trading department etc, then possibly even to court. All i want is the power that they quoted to everyone and the torque to use it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2003, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
blue blooded

XRT sleds go as well as the sedans .. a little heavier and rigid rear but otherwise just the same ...

Ford PR might be the best avenue ... FORD have had bad experience with some of their cars being way under spec (eg most of the 99 Cobras in the US) ....

You have all the information you need by the sounds of things ... sounds to me like it's the ECU/boost controller ... has the ECU been replaced (not just checked but replaced) ?

Just go for the juggler with them .... 150 rwkw standard or 165 shootout is about 10-15% below par and the torque should come in clean @2000

Good luck and let us know how you go ....

xr6t ute (289rwkw and fast) & blown Mustang Cobra (347 rwkw and faster)
Old 05-10-2003, 08:25   #3 (permalink)

you posted in the right spot, if your having trouble with your car and getting through to Ford is hard, then perhaps Geoff could assist in a way.

Have your car checked over for this problem though, it sounds a bit suss.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:53   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Fark that sucks man, good luck in finding a solution to the problem...
Old 05-11-2003, 15:05   #5 (permalink)
fpv pursuit no 255

ray1 please let us know how you go with this problem.i am looking at getting a turbo but i want to make sure that it is the right way to go cheers.
fpv pursuit no 255 lightning strike with leather,prem sound and no stripes, thanks to my wife mrs forte au2 . winner of the LONGEST DISTANCE TRAVELLED award all ford day albury-wodonga 2004 and maybe 2005 " my name is marcos ambrose i'm talented and i'm fast i'm here to claim victory i won't be coming last i'm am the devil racer and i am #1 so buckle up and brace yourself cause there's plenty more to come"
Old 05-12-2003, 03:59   #6 (permalink)
DARK SIDE spy

Do you feed it the good fuel all the time?
I know with "enemy cars" , what I would call "anti-destruction mechanisms" were built into the computer! I beliveve the Turbo has a couple of these on board as well in its computer.
May be just see if they can change your computer or "flash" another program into it.
After prolonged use on a dyno a stock GENIII's power starts going down because of the computer and the Heat etc.

motomk
Old 05-12-2003, 04:32   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

thread closed and explanation sent to thread starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo