drag predictions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:43   #1 (permalink)

drag predictions

i've been meaning to test my ute out on the qtr mile run , so i've finaly decided to take it to eastern creek next wed.
here are my specs :manual 6 speed mk2 xr6t ute with a phase 2 upgrade pumping 276rwkw , im gonna run it with the stock dunlops ,and im not sure whether i should take my hard cover off or not coz i wanna see what im running on the street aswell.
From what ive gathered the average times in a xr6t sedan is somewhere arround the 13 sec flat mark, however mine is not a sedan its a ute which carries abit more weight .
Im guessing that i might manage a 13.5 qtr mile , which will satisfy me , and anything below that would be a bonus.
What do you guys think my ute would pull ??, and any tips and advise about running it would be greatly apreciated like what revs are recemended at launch ...etc, thanks
POP6TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 04:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: drag predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP6TH
i've been meaning to test my ute out on the qtr mile run , so i've finaly decided to take it to eastern creek next wed.
here are my specs :manual 6 speed mk2 xr6t ute with a phase 2 upgrade pumping 276rwkw , im gonna run it with the stock dunlops ,and im not sure whether i should take my hard cover off or not coz i wanna see what im running on the street aswell.
From what ive gathered the average times in a xr6t sedan is somewhere arround the 13 sec flat mark, however mine is not a sedan its a ute which carries abit more weight .
Im guessing that i might manage a 13.5 qtr mile , which will satisfy me , and anything below that would be a bonus.
What do you guys think my ute would pull ??, and any tips and advise about running it would be greatly apreciated like what revs are recemended at launch ...etc, thanks
you cant be serious.... Mate 276 rwkw...... turbo car...

12.8 to 13.2 @ 115-117
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
aps

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP6TH
Call me at work if you get a chance, I've not been able to pm you.

Thanks

Peter
aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 20:21   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
12.8 to 13.2 @ 115-117
I would agree with Simon, unless you end up having some serious traction issues. With the sp9000's that maybe be possible, but should improve with practice. Hope it's a nice cool night for you.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 00:05   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
you cant be serious.... Mate 276 rwkw...... turbo car...

12.8 to 13.2 @ 115-117
mate if i crack in the 12's i'll be over the moon, for a vehicle that looks stock as a rock, one can only hope. Keeping in mind that its a heavier ute.
And Peter mate i will call you as soon as i get a chance your advise and experience are essential to me .YOUR DA MAN !!
POP6TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:27   #6 (permalink)
OFR No.33

Deano had an XR6T APS II ute and ran a 12.6 i believe. Alot will come down to the temps on the night. The standard Dunlops are a good tyre at the drags. I have run an 11.999 on them. launch at 2000rpm after doing a 3-5 second burnout to heat them up.

Geea.

RIP BOOF 28/02/03-20/08/04 12.24@115.38mph
.....HPF.....
geea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:32   #7 (permalink)

geea - I'm curious, what kinda car do you have?

328.7rwkw is amazing!
Falcon-DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 14:09   #8 (permalink)

I predict 13.4 to 13.6 for the manual if you’re a novice; 13.0 to 13.3 if you’re experienced.
In the modified manuals you drop too much boost between gear changes compared to the auto, the T56 is not exactly a box that you can fast change gears, plus the ecu works against you. You really need a lot more rwkw in the manual to keep up with a modified auto. I have raced my T-56 manual (once only) at WSID against modified autos, and it’s interesting to see a loss of around 2 car lengths against the auto every gear change.
By my calcs in 4th gear you’ll redline at around 112mph with the 3.73 diff, so you’re going to drop off towards the end of the ¼. Get into 5th before the end of the ¼ and you’ll lose more time changing gear, and you won’t have enough grunt to keep accelerating hard. I’m using a 4.10 diff, and it seems to have made the situation worse, although I’m still a novice.
Ideally you don’t want to get into 5th before the end of the ¼, and in this heavy car you need up around 400rwkw to accelerate well with the 0.8 overdrive gear if you do get into 5th.
I’m about to raise my rev limit to 7500 revs, so I should be able to pull 130mph in 4th even with the low 4.10 gears.
Good luck.
Brian
Old 02-08-2005, 17:07   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6t8u
By my calcs in 4th gear you’ll redline at around 112mph with the 3.73 diff, so you’re going to drop off towards the end of the ¼. Get into 5th before the end of the ¼ and you’ll lose more time changing gear, and you won’t have enough grunt to keep accelerating hard. I’m using a 4.10 diff, and it seems to have made the situation worse

Hey ya Brian. I think, your correct about the autos, they will always have an advantage in this situation. Interesting that you have gone for such a low diff ratio when one of the best benifits of a turbo its ability to produce huge amounts of torque at a low rpm. Thats a nice power package your running mate. whats your best et?
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 17:25   #10 (permalink)
aps

Quote:
Originally Posted by geea
Deano had an XR6T APS II ute and ran a 12.6 i believe. Alot will come down to the temps on the night. The standard Dunlops are a good tyre at the drags. I have run an 11.999 on them. launch at 2000rpm after doing a 3-5 second burnout to heat them up.

Geea.
Geea I agree with you 100%. With a genuine 270 RWkW's in an auto T is good for somewhere between a 12.1 to 12.5 in an auto trans T (as Big Mick proved last year with his APS Phase II auto T with a 12.15@118 MPH) though I'd say that a 12.5 ET for an auto XR6T sedan with 270RwkW's is more likely for the average guy going to the strip.

With a manual XR6T ute the ET will obviously be slower because of the additional weight of the ute and the slower changing of gears with a manual trans, I reckon get the entire pass right and a high 12 or very low 13 sec ET is very possible, as geea said lots will depend on the ambient temperature on the night, good luck in any event and I hope you have a hoot at the track.

Peter
aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo