Dunlop sport 9000 dissapointment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 23:24   #1 (permalink)

Dunlop sport 9000 dissapointment

I had a pair of YOKOHAMA ES100 tyres on the front of my TE50 and was impressed with their roll resistance and general shoulder wear under hard cornering (I was only using 35 psi).

Now I have the factory specified DUNLOP SP9000 and what a disappointment! Understeers a hell of alot more and shoulder wear like something I've never seen before. I bumped the tyre pressure up to 38 PSI which has reduced wear but does nothing for cornering grip.

I seem to like goodyear, bridgestone or Yokohama, because they make reasonable tyres at a good price. I can't see how tyre stockists can get away with selling this sh&t at $500 a pot. They try to use the 'original equipment' line on ya, how they get away with it I don't know.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 00:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dunlop sport 9000 dissapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
I had a pair of YOKOHAMA ES100 tyres on the front of my TE50 and was impressed with their roll resistance and general shoulder wear under hard cornering (I was only using 35 psi).

Now I have the factory specified DUNLOP SP9000 and what a disappointment! Understeers a hell of alot more and shoulder wear like something I've never seen before. I bumped the tyre pressure up to 38 PSI which has reduced wear but does nothing for cornering grip.

I seem to like goodyear, bridgestone or Yokohama, because they make reasonable tyres at a good price. I can't see how tyre stockists can get away with selling this sh&t at $500 a pot. They try to use the 'original equipment' line on ya, how they get away with it I don't know.
try 45 psi. sound a bit high, I know, but it is not. You will get much better tyre wear and better all round performance from the tyre at 45 psi cold...

Most if not all tyre shops recommend 35-36 cold psi a a good compromise between ride comfort and handling. If you are after the handling side of the tyre then use a higher psi, but for safety DO NOT exceed 50psi cold
Old 01-05-2006, 00:17   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
try 45 psi. sound a bit high, I know, but it is not. You will get much better tyre wear and better all round performance from the tyre at 45 psi...
Im with you on that jabba when i had the dunlops i ran 40-45psi with great tyre wear 33000k's out of the rear and 45000k's out of the fronts.
Lowride260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 00:19   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Im with you on that jabba when i had the dunlops i ran 40-45psi with great tyre wear 33000k's out of the rear and 45000k's out of the fronts.
Great minds think alike
Old 01-05-2006, 01:02   #5 (permalink)

I don't know guys, it might be good for your BA's because of the greater compliancy that the suspension has. On my pothole bashing TE I reckon I'd lose my fillings in my teeth at that pressure. The ride is verging on tiering on rough roads.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:35   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
I don't know guys, it might be good for your BA's because of the greater compliancy that the suspension has. On my pothole bashing TE I reckon I'd lose my fillings in my teeth at that pressure. The ride is verging on tiering on rough roads.
Just try it, you can always let some air out if you don't like it.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:14   #7 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

The sp9000s are overpriced & overated, FPV are getting them for a song to be using them. We tryed them on the BAGT we used in the Dutton tarmac rally & ditched them. I had them on the T3 when new & I wasn't very inpressed with them then.
They are a very safe tyre because there is not much grip, there for you dont push on with them too much. We put Yokohama V 102s on it for the rally & it was so much better. Ive put them on the T3 with great results. There are much better tyres on the market for a lot less money, its worth shopping around..
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:31   #8 (permalink)

I wrongfully criticised someone for running 40psi but now I understand why. You just understeer with 9000's can't accelerate through corners at all. With the Yoko's you literally fly through corners, while asking for more gas!
Old 01-05-2006, 20:02   #9 (permalink)

I'm just wondering what this has to do with the F6 or Typhoon when it's on a t-series?
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 13:09   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
I'm just wondering what this has to do with the F6 or Typhoon when it's on a t-series?
It doesn't, That why the F6 has not been mention. So lets get back on track and talk about tyres shell we....

NoBoss, was it the lateral(cornering) grip or acceleration grip. I ask this because I found the acceleration grip was very good, but lateral grip was dreadful. So i bumped the psi up to 45 and it was better, as in you could live with it until the tyre's needs replacing. The reason for poor corning ability is that the side wall is very soft, (you can actually stick you thumb in to the side wall). the sp9000 is a very good tyre for the executive that like a little spirited driving as it offers a smoother ride and reasonable amount of grip, particular in the wet. As a all out handling tyre that are the pits. I now have a set of Hankooks K104 (NoBoss, if I remember correctly, you highly recommended these in your former life). At less then half the price of the sp9000 and the handling ability far exceeds the sp9000. So far I am very happy with the K104 and in say that, I have given the tyre a hell of a time which has included 25 runs down the 1/4 and 28 laps of Morgan park. It's now time for a tyre rotation, me thinks.

Also NoBoss, I have some questions for you relating to the Dutton rally that I will sent PM, But I don't have time now. speak soon.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo