A Excellent Review on the F6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 16:38   #1 (permalink)
FF Moderator

A Excellent Review on the F6

Well it's not all bad and goes to show there are two sides to every story.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E27286,00.html

Ford's powerful wind
Chris Riley
20jan05

Questions about clutch life aside, FPV's turbocharged F6 Typhoon is one sensational piece of automotive machismo.

Ford's performance arm copped a bit of flak when it announced plans for the Typhoon, with claims that it was "bastardising" the hallowed Aussie performance car genre.
Much of the criticism funnily enough seemed to emanate from the Holden camp which does not have a turbocharged power plant of its own.

But really, what's all the fuss about?

After all, HSV happily produced and marketed the supercharged XU-6 VT Commodore in 1996, didn't it?

The future is all about smaller, more powerful engines and five minutes behind the wheel of the Typhoon is enough to convince the most vocal critic that this car deserves to wear the FPV badge.

Heck! On paper and on the road, the Typhoon in our estimation has got the wood on V8 stablemate the Falcon GT.

The only bit that they haven't managed to engineer into the turbo is that wonderful V8 exhaust note.

Available in manual form only, the Typhoon is priced from $58,950, in line with the company's policy of producing uncompromising performance at an affordable price.

That's $2400 less than the manual GT – and apart from the GT badge you're not missing out on much.

The Typhoon's exterior styling with smallish badges and lack of striping is somewhat understated and we believe could be more overt.

The kind of people that drive these cars are not what you'd call shrinking violets.

Inside, there's also room for something fancier, particularly with the ordinary dash treatment.

Metal starter and gear shift knobs look the goods but get extremely hot if left sitting in the summer sun.

And, while on the subject of sun, tall drivers will find the lowered sun visor obstructs vision, even with the driver's seat set to its lowest point.

On the road the Typhoon feels lighter and more agile than the V8, although in reality there is only about 50kg difference.

The force-fed 4.0-litre DOHC straight six cylinder engine cranks out an impressive 270kW of power and whopping 550Nm of torque from a low 2000rpm, compared to the V8's 290kW and 520Nm from 4500rpm.

That's more torque and from much lower in the rev range, which as we all know is the stuff that performance is made of.

The Typhoon with a shorter first gear has incredible get up and go, punching through the gears to what surely must be a mid-five second time for the 0-100km/h dash.

Think WR-X and then some...

In fact, if you do the sums, the power to weight ratio of the Typhoon is 6.6kg per kW, compared to say the top of the line STi Rex which comes in at a 7.5kg.

In theory at least, it makes the Typhoon a quicker car, but of course other factors come into play.

Apart from the lift in power, most of FPV's tweaking is reflected in the superior handling of the car.

It's this rather than straight line performance that makes it so much more desirable than a standard XR6 Turbo.

The car sits low and flat with big sticky tyres that hang on for dear life.

Traction control is provided and can be switched off if desired but we found it much less intrusive than the standard system and assume this has been the subject of some refinement too.

Twin centre mounted, driver orientated dash top gauges show turbo boost and oil pressure.

The close ratio six-speed Tremec manual transmission has been specially engineered for the car and is light and easy to use, with an electronic lockout for reverse.

The twin plate AP Racing clutch also has a light action, but a couple of the motor magazines have managed to fry a clutch (we're not surprised).

Blue caliper performance 325/303mm brakes are standard while red caliper 355/330mm Brembos are optional.

Standard equipment includes FPV badged sports with a "suede feel" bolsters, dual climate airconditioning and a 150 watt six stack CD sound system.

News Limited Community Newspapers

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 16:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: A Excellent Review on the F6

CDAA i just made a reply to a thread on another review which F6 copped abit of flack on that. Now im reading this and all of sudden it seems its all cool like vanilla ice. Something fishy is happening here *scratches head*
KNG-40L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 18:18   #3 (permalink)
Falcon: Back II Back

As I said on another thread about another F6 Typhoon review, it's getting bloody hard what to believe with all these different reviews. With some the F6 is getting 4 stars or better, and on others, it's barely getting more than 3 stars. I am starting to get seriously bloody confused!
marcos04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:28   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Guys, all this goes to show is beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I only know 4 people that own one and three of them love it and the fourth hate's it. Based on that ratio I don't think the F6 differs much from any other model of the Ford or FPV range.

I remember when I bought my BAXR8 and most reviews were luke warm about it when compared to the likes of the XR6T. I decided to drive one anyway and make my own mind up. Needless to say I made my own mind up and purchased one. Did I regret it? Not one bit, it was indeed a great car that delivered on its promises. When resale came it shaped up much better than expected as well. In fact despite the T6’s hype at the time the demand for XR8's was much higher than the XR6T so if I purely listened to the media beat up I would have been much more out of pocket.

My point? Go drive an F6 and make your own mind up. When things settle down no one will care but you.

Colville

Old 01-26-2005, 04:56   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA

My point? Go drive an F6 and make your own mind up. When things settle down no one will care but you.

Colville
Thats good advice. From reading some reviews the car sounds like a disaster, but as you say most of the owners on here love the car. Time to hassle the local Ford dealer I guess.
R33GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 14:32   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Colville
I have been saying this all along. I also pulled out the 1st reviews from motor when they compared it to the R34 GTR, E49 Charger, BAGT and new clubsport all in the same mag and the F6 was viewed as the best car out of all of them (they did say it was hard to call between GT and F6).

Matt
Mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 16:33   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattm
I have been saying this all along. I also pulled out the 1st reviews from motor when they compared it to the R34 GTR, E49 Charger, BAGT and new clubsport all in the same mag and the F6 was viewed as the best car out of all of them (they did say it was hard to call between GT and F6).

Matt
Motor and Wheels for that fact. Both Magazines gave it great reviews, and it was the car of choice in both.
It seems that they have done a full back flip. Someone over in FPV land has given the mags/journo's the (I would say it would be over the clutch issue, FPV should have just taken it on the chin and moved on).
Still loving mine (hurry up EDIT)
Old 01-26-2005, 21:43   #8 (permalink)
Mid-life crisis

Quote:
Guys, all this goes to show is beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I only know 4 people that own one and three of them love it and the fourth hate's it. Based on that ratio I don't think the F6 differs much from any other model of the Ford or FPV range.

I remember when I bought my BAXR8 and most reviews were luke warm about it when compared to the likes of the XR6T. I decided to drive one anyway and make my own mind up. Needless to say I made my own mind up and purchased one. Did I regret it? Not one bit, it was indeed a great car that delivered on its promises. When resale came it shaped up much better than expected as well. In fact despite the T6’s hype at the time the demand for XR8's was much higher than the XR6T so if I purely listened to the media beat up I would have been much more out of pocket.

Colville

Just seems strange to me that the views should be so completely polarised. The car obviously creates either very positive or very negative reactions from people.
What I really can't understand particularly are the completely opposite views from journo's on steering and handling (from "extrememly sharp, light and responsive", to "lack of feel...wooden in town, heavy in tight corners") and cost ("too expensive" or .... "exceptional value-for-money") or a number of other issues from clutch feel (or lack of) to performance. Almost seems like theres 2 models, one built in China, one in Australia.
The SMH article reeks of copy-cat crap and is easy to dismiss ... it's not even well written, but the turn around by Wheels and Motor is mystifying and doesn't do their credibility or the cars much good.
Only thing that concerns me really is the damage the articles do to the F6's desirability and therefore its value.
Anyway......lovin' mine!......and glad it wasn't built in China..... or ....was that Australia??......
fpv f6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 21:46   #9 (permalink)
Mid-life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattm

Matt

Hehe .... obviously those journo's from Motor and Wheels have now been sacked for being on the take from Ford......coz we all now know .......the F6 is a piece of crap!
fpv f6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv f6t
Only thing that concerns me really is the damage the articles do to the F6's desirability and therefore its value.
I wouldn't be too concerned. Look at it this way, in 3 or 4 years time when you sell your car no matter what they are saying about the F6 now, when it comes to desirability do you think buyer won't try and stretch for an F6 over an XR6T? One will be in the low to mid $20k and one the upper $20k to low $30k bracket. I would think the F6 would be the most desired if for no other reason but to get the FPV name and extra gear associated with it.

As mentioned above the BA XR8 coped a bit from the media as well for being too soft, but when the dust settled it was the 8 that was more desired despite it being slower and heavy that it's little brother. Go figure…in the end we all want what we want, despite what others think or say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo