F6 Typhoon vs Z-Series Clubsport - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which do you think will be quicker down the quarter?
FPV F6 Typhoon 90 50.28%
HSV Z-Series Clubsport 89 49.72%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2004, 02:20   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

F6 Typhoon vs Z-Series Clubsport

As it's been rumoured in the other thread that the F6 is capable of doing 0-100 km/h in 5.2 seconds, and a flat 13 over the quarter, it got me wondering. With no real evidence of proof, that to me is just more speculation. As no time has been released for the 6 litre HSVs or the new F6, which one do you honestly think will be quicker down the quarter? Brand loyalty aside, which one stock do you think will be faster?

I'm going to have to say that i think the Clubsport will be quicker. With nearly 100kg less weight, and 30kw on the F6, I don't think even that phenomonal torque curve will be enough to propel the F6 to a Corvette engined HSV spanker. But it will be damn close....
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2004, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Re: F6 Typhoon vs Z-Series Clubsport

The Clubbie IMO. I would LOVE to see the F6 kick some Clubbie arse, make no mistake. I plan on getting an F6, so I would particularly be happy to be proven wrong. However, based on past Ford v Holden and FPV v HSV performances, I would have to assume that the dark side will win... an assumption I will have until facts prove otherwise. And its facts we are short on at the moment.

However, this lack of facts will soon be rectified and lets hope the stock F6 will be all that we dream it is, and that cynics like me are very wrong.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
Old 11-06-2004, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I'm hoping MOTOR road test both F6 Typhoon and any Z-Series HSV in the same issue with accleration and 1/4 mile times. Bring on November 10!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:07   #4 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

If the XR6 Turbo can beat an SS, i think the F6 is in with a good chance..
Old 11-06-2004, 03:07   #5 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
As it's been rumoured in the other thread that the F6 is capable of doing 0-100 km/h in 5.2 seconds, and a flat 13 over the quarter, it got me wondering. With no real evidence of proof, that to me is just more speculation. As no time has been released for the 6 litre HSVs or the new F6, which one do you honestly think will be quicker down the quarter? Brand loyalty aside, which one stock do you think will be faster?

I'm going to have to say that i think the Clubsport will be quicker. With nearly 100kg less weight, and 30kw on the F6, I don't think even that phenomonal torque curve will be enough to propel the F6 to a Corvette engined HSV spanker. But it will be damn close....
Turbo's work different.The F6 should get off the line much smoother than the Clubbie and GT making it a good straight line weapon.

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:23   #6 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I know how Turbos work mate, but look at the massive torque spread of the F6 Typhoon. It produces maximum torque at 2000rpm right through to redline. If that doesn't cause some difficulties launching then I don't know what will.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 11-06-2004, 03:28   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I think that the F6 and the LS2 will be pretty close, I wouldn't be game to call it either way, I just think it's a shame that the poor old GT will be hung out to dry, maybe the GT would be now known as the poorman's F6.
Laser a maser.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:34   #8 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Clubsport will whip the Typhoon's ass, sorry to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV TURBO
If the XR6 Turbo can beat an SS, i think the F6 is in with a good chance..
XR6 Turbo doesn't beat the SS though, its just behind. If we're going to Magazine race, Motor's best BA XR6 Turbo time was 14.14, and 13.94 in the 245kW VYII SS, 13.97 in the VY. Motor got something like 13.98 in the 225kW VX SS.

Typhoon has the torque - 550Nm - but its lacking power (270kW) and there's the bloody weight issue. If XR6 Turbo is 1751kg.. I'd expect the FPV to gain 28-30kg over the non FPV version (BAII GT is 28kg heavier then BAII XR8.. BA GT was 30kg heavier then BA XR8).. so.. 1751 + 30 = 1781kg. That's not nice at all.

Clubby's got the 297kW 530Nm LS2 on its side (the base Corvette runs 12.6s with the 299kW 542Nm version... last year's 302kW 542Nm Z06 also ran 12.6s) less weight, and almost the same gears. I can't really tell, but I think its safe to say the Typhoon will get left behind on the strip.

Both cars will be slower then they should be though.. put 295s or 305s on the back wheels HSV & FPV (kinda going off-trail here.. but the tyres they use suck).

Here's a more important question though: "Which car will actually be better, not simply faster, FPV F6 Typhoon or HSV Clubsport?"
Old 11-06-2004, 03:47   #9 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Steffo a stock 04 Z06 ran a 12.1 in Motor Trend earlier this year. As for Clubbie whipping Typhoon, I don't think so. It will be very close. The VZ SS has 10kw and 20nm on the XR6T, and in this case, the F6 has the torque advnatage, although down on power by 27kw. Both cars add weight from the SS and XR6T respectively, so that is balanced out. Lets just see if the F6's extra torque really does show up a V8 with 35% more capacity. As I said, it will be close, and although I really do hope I'm wrong, I can see the Clubbie winning by a whisker.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)

Old 11-06-2004, 14:03   #10 (permalink)
BOFH

The Clubbie should get it...just. I'd love to be wrong but I doubt it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo