Ford Forums banner

FPV XR6 turbo?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  HO HO HO! 
G
#1 ·
Hi

I have seen no mention of a FPV version of the XR6 turbo?

I would have thought this would be a no-brainer considering the huge popularity of turbo vehicles, the fact that there is so much power potential there and best of all it would be totaly unique with HSV & Mitsubishi having no answer to it. Only Audi would really be able to compete and look at the price of them.

I would love to see a XR6 turbo thats been lightened, huge brakes with no ABS, 6speed box, tweaked race-ready suspension and 300+kw. Just the thing to go club racing. They could also do a version with the luxury bits.

IMHO it sounds like the XR6 turbo has been deliberatly hobbled so as to not overshadow the V8 - this is pure madness. Ford need to be the leaders by offering something that HSV don't have which is a "high tech turbo" engine. The V8 that Ford are offereing is also great - I am happy they had the good sense to combine the 5.4 bottom end with the 4V heads (why didnt the yanks think of this earlier?) but one could still argue that the Gen3 is all alloy and 5.7 vs 5.4 iron block. I have to admit though the 5.4 4cam with a factory supercharger would seriously kick arse (but be expensive).

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Thats what HSV said - the result was the HSV Astra, Jackaroo and the S/C V6 auto models - all of which were seriously slow compared to the V8 models.

What people want is something thats fast - do you think the WRX would have sold well if it was slow?

#4 ·
As Uncle Geoff has said, the V-8 and Turbo 6 will appeal to a different crowd. I think that would be similar with a version of the GT but with a Hi Po Turbo 6.

#5 ·
Sub 60k XR6 T Sprint or Predator would be awesome with 19s,brakes and about 280kw. I personally would'nt want a big kit or wing on this car as its a six and does'nt need the weight or to be overstated. Put the $$ into performance. I love kits on Ts,GTs etc though. They are essential for their market IMO and look awsome.

#6 ·
What I really want to know is are the V8s all-alloy or Iron block alloy head? I dont care what Holden V8s are, I would much prefer our V8.

But Turbo 6 is iron block, I dont hea anyone complain. even the 2JZ-GTE and RB26DETT are iron block. What does the material have to do with anything.

You are right though. It would be great to see a turbo version in the FPV range, but as said before David Flint said FPV won't just be about V8's. I am sure there will the a hipo Turbo 6 of some sort in the FPV line up in the not to distant future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.