It gets worse for Typhoon. Drive.com.au review - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 12:36   #1 (permalink)
Falcon: Back II Back

It gets worse for Typhoon. Drive.com.au review

Another bad review for F6 Typhoon.

Ford F6 Typhoon
The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday January 21 2005

Faults in Ford's big six turbo shoot it down, reports BILL MCKINNON.

Drive verdict: 2.5 stars (out of 5)

Unstable air mass.

Good: Engine has a character all its own and no shortage of power. Smooth as they come. Secure on the open road. Reasonable ride. Comfortable driver's seat.

Bad: It's too expensive. If I owned one and it had as many problems as the test car(s), I'd want my money back. The claimed 270kW is only produced under ideal conditions. Tyre noise. Heavy in tight corners. Wooden steering in town. Falcon seating position won't suit all drivers.

High-powered "hero" model Falcons and Commodores are now nudging the 300kW mark. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that reliability and durability may be casualties of the power struggle.

In stretching the 4.0-litre XR6 turbo Falcon's 240kW to 270kW in the new Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) F6 Typhoon, for example, significant faults have emerged on test cars which are hardly conducive to recommending ownership.

Ford and Holden - which has also had its problems with 5.7-litre V8 engines - pitch hotrods like the F6 as hard drivin' bloke mobiles, yet when road-testers and customers go out and do just that, the engineering seems to be falling over at an increasing rate.

Drive's week with the F6 included one day when the temperature hit 42 degrees. All engines - especially turbos - like their air delivered dense and cool. At 40-plus, our car's ECU would frequently shut the engine down for a moment as the turbo came on to full boost, usually with the tachometer passing through 4500 revs. This problem has been reported elsewhere, in less extreme conditions and on the 240kW XR6 turbo. On cooler days, it wasn't apparent in our car.

The clutch in Drive's F6, a twin plate item specifically developed to handle the engine's claimed 550Nm of torque, was fine during our test, however both Wheels and Motor magazines had clutch problems in their time with the F6.

Our car also had a clunky tailshaft/differential connection, which seems common to Falcons and, if they're driven hard, can require replacement. Excessive gearbox noise was also apparent, particularly under load at low revs. If you had just handed over $58,950 for an F6, and were unlucky enough to score a series of dramas like that, you would be inclined to return to your FPV dealer for a not very matey chat.

The F6's 30kW power gain over the XR6 turbo - and a 100Nm torque increase - is achieved by increasing the capacity and efficiency of its induction system/intercooler, which raises boost pressure by 50 per cent. Stronger valve springs and conrods, plus a huge oil cooler, are also fitted. The six-speed Tremec T56 gearbox is shared with the XR6 turbo (and V8 Commodores).

PBR brakes with twin-piston front calipers and large, grooved discs are standard. The premium Brembos are a big dollar option.

Eighteen-inch alloy wheels are fitted with 235/40 Dunlop SP9000 tyres; our test car had 245/40s at both ends.

The F6's engine is less cantankerous than expected and from idle to redline is beautifully smooth. Around town, especially on a warm day, it does stutter and surge a bit on light throttle openings; this can also occur when running on cruise control. It doesn't have that instant off the line lunge of a base Falcon six or V8 but once the turbo kicks in the delivery is jet-like and elastic, stretching from 2000rpm to 5600rpm.

The turbo is clearly audible, its high-pitched whistle rising to a menacing hiss as the revs build, accompanied by a subdued but pleasantly mean straight-six exhaust growl. At 100kmh in sixth, the tacho shows 1900rpm. There's only a trace of turbo lag when you put your foot down to overtake.

The ratios in the six speed gearbox are well-chosen, allowing you to keep the engine humming at 3500rpm-plus across the intermediate gears. The shift action is reasonably fluid and precise. The heavy clutch has a very late, high takeup.

Fuel consumption is comparable to a V8. Premium is recommended because the engine "pings" on regular unleaded.

The lowered, stiffened suspension works well on the open road, where the F6 tracks through sweeping bends with great composure and accuracy. In tight corners, the Falcon's sheer mass cannot be disguised. It is considerably less responsive and agile than a Commodore. The tyres provide decent grip, at the expense of excessive noise levels on coarse bitumen.

The steering is direct, almost too direct for its size. Around town, though, the test car has a strangely stiff, wooden feel at the wheel, perhaps due to the ultra-wide tyres.

The ABS-equipped brakes are only average. Firm pedal pressure is required to begin arresting 1700kg.

The ride is compliant, given the low-profile tyres. It's more of a tourer than hard case sport, so the F6 is quite comfortable on a long drive. The plush, armchair-sized driver's seat helps, too. Its upholstery (optional leather on the test car) is embossed with a triangle motif, also used for the grille. The deeply concaved backrest could use more lumbar support.

The dash layout is as per Falcon. Tough guy touches include gauges for turbo boost (oddly, with no numbers for reference) and oil pressure, tacky faux carbon-fibre trim, a big, fat leather-wrapped gear lever knob and a push button starter. Standard equipment includes air-conditioning, an in-dash six-stacker CD player and four airbags.

Some drivers will dislike the Falcon's high seating position and the slightly bus-like angle of the steering wheel.

The back seat is steeply angled. The Falcon's tapered, low roofline, and pronounced wheel arch intrusion, means you have to duck and weave when getting into the back.

The boot's uneven floor can be extended with the 60/40 split fold rear seat. A full-size spare on an alloy wheel is underneath.

The 240kW XR6 Falcon turbo, especially with the four-speed automatic, is the best drive in the BA range, with refinement, performance and poise that really shine on a flowing country road. The F6 feels considerably less cohesive and convincing, as though the unique big six turbo concept has perhaps been pushed too far in the pursuit of mine's bigger than yours (ie Holden's) performance numbers.

Given the gremlins which affected Drive's F6 (and others), it seems that the Typhoon may be yet another example of Ford (and Holden) sending a new model out underdone, leaving customers to finish off the reliability and durability testing program.

Vital signs

Engine: 4.0-litre, 24-valve turbocharged six cylinder.

Power: 270kW at 5250rpm (above average).

Performance: Not possible to record an accurate 0-100 kmh time. We'd estimate mid-six second bracket, which is competitive.

Brakes: Discs with ABS (average).

Economy: 10-13 litres/100km highway; 18-23 litres/100km city (thirsty; premium).

Prices: Recommended retail $58,950.

Street price: No deals yet.

Main options: Brembo brakes $7302; leather upholstery $3375; sunroof $2761.

Warranty: Three years/100,000km (average).

Residual value: New model, no history.

Safety rating: Four stars out of five (BA Falcon).

Alternatives

Ford Falcon XR6 turbo

$46,350

Less power and pose value but a much more refined, coherent package and better value. 240kW turbo six goes smoothly and strongly with the four speed automatic. Magazine tests show this is quicker than the new F6.

Ford FPV GT

$59,850

Like the XR6 turbo, the GT drives like it has been more thoroughly tested and debugged than the F6. But it's still big and heavy. The 290kW V8 sounds great but needs to be revved.

HSV ClubSport

$61,850

HSV get the 297kW 6.0-litre Gen IV V8 donk fitted to the latest Corvette. Will it stand up to being driven hard? The 5.7-litre Gen III wasn't a model of reliability but we're yet to hear of any dramas with the 6.0-litre.
marcos04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 17:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: It gets worse for Typhoon. Drive.com.au review

This is an appalling effort by FPV, what kind of performance cars are you building for the public?. It just gets worse with each review we come across. I just cant believe all the negative reviews were reading about the typhoon is actually happening. Such a beautiful looking car with the extra grunt and the so called extra performance just isnt do any justice. I might sound harsh but its dissapointing to read news like this especially when we thought FORD/FPV were onto a good thing.

FPV if a future BA GTHO is on the cards make sure its a performer, its got character and most of all FASTEST FOUR DOOR SEDAN so i can frame it and put it next to my canary yellow GTHO on my wall. Otherwise it will tarnish a very famous nameplate!!!

On a slightly positive note I hope in the end there would be a good outcome to all of this and having our smiles put back on our face and the F6 could be dubbed the next turbo KNG :)
KNG-40L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 18:57   #3 (permalink)

I have to say though, they are quoting problems that occurred across several cars and making it sound as though they all happened to them. "If I owned one and had as many problems as the test car(s)" Well yes if you owned one car, and it had every problem that any examle of that car had all rolled into one, you WOULD want your money back! I think this is a case of bad press generating more bad press - its what you get for releasing faulty cars to the journalists. Someone at FPV deserves to lose his job.
R33GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 19:06   #4 (permalink)
Falcon: Back II Back

mad Re: It gets worse for Typhoon. Drive.com.au review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNG-40L
This is an appalling effort by FPV, what kind of performance cars are you building for the public?. It just gets worse with each review we come across. I just cant believe all the negative reviews were reading about the typhoon is actually happening. Such a beautiful looking car with the extra grunt and the so called extra performance just isnt do any justice. I might sound harsh but its dissapointing to read news like this especially when we thought FORD/FPV were onto a good thing.

FPV if a future BA GTHO is on the cards make sure its a performer, its got character and most of all FASTEST FOUR DOOR SEDAN so i can frame it and put it next to my canary yellow GTHO on my wall. Otherwise it will tarnish a very famous nameplate!!!

On a slightly positive note I hope in the end there would be a good outcome to all of this and having our smiles put back on our face and the F6 could be dubbed the next turbo KNG :)
Im starting to find it hard what to believe. Wheels Mag gave the F6 a 4 1/2 star rating, and then we get reviews like this, with just 2 1/2 stars. But the worrying thing is that the reviews just keep coming, and they keep getting worse! The times that they're getting out of it are just appaling. FPV have got to get their act together!
marcos04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 20:28   #5 (permalink)

Yeah i know, im getting bloody confused, i mean the other review gave it 4 stars?

wtf?

Protien, Creatine, and other supplements all below retail, PM me for a price list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
...his sheep shagging buddy with the loser sideburns.
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 21:15   #6 (permalink)
MYF6

Since when did the Sydney Morning Heral become the tome for all motoring news/opinion

Whats next? How about a report from someones grandmother that the cars crap because the passenger seat bolsters make it had for her to get in and out of the car!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 22:22   #7 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Theres one thing I do know, This sort of thing never happend with Tickford, I think the poms[prodrive] have something to do with this, well they have too, they own the joint. They may not be spending enough money in R&D, I dont know, but it has to stop. FPV need to short cut this and as fast as they can, and I dont mean 2years They need to fix it now, the XR6 was there baby and Ford are reaping all the rewards for it. How can they go from a silk purse, to a souws ear, when the cars are basicly the same? It just dosn't make sense..........
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 00:50   #8 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Something is definately going wrong with FPV. I was flicking through an old copy of Motor that had a 32 page spread on the EL GT and the whole article praised Tickfords efforts in R&D, especially in the field of durability testing, and the costs involved seemed cheap considering the amounts of money that seem to get throw around these days devloping new models. Why is everything British crap. They can't seem to do anything right. Or is it that Prodrive are more about profits first, product second.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 19:08   #9 (permalink)

Well surprise, surprise.
It is becoming more obvious by the day what an over stated, over priced, under performing sh!tbox these things really are. I wonder if they'll have it sorted by the time the series 3 arrives in 2010. HSV will be laughing and the Clown Factory mod still won't give a toss. They are akin to a mob of glider pilots trying to fly a jumbo jet IMHO.
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 19:11   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos04
Im starting to find it hard what to believe. Wheels Mag gave the F6 a 4 1/2 star rating, and then we get reviews like this, with just 2 1/2 stars. But the worrying thing is that the reviews just keep coming, and they keep getting worse! The times that they're getting out of it are just appaling. FPV have got to get their act together!
They are getting exactly what they deserve. Shame that nobody at FPV seems to be doing anything about it
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo