Holidays in a Typhoon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 21:16   #1 (permalink)
Mid-life crisis

Holidays in a Typhoon

I thought you all may be interested in how the Typhoon handled the notorious Pacific Hwy in a recent trip from Sydney to Coffs Harbour and a little beyond.
The road itself is vastly improved and continues to do so every year. However, as anyone else who travels it fairly frequently would know, it just isn't improving fast enough. Our esteemed *cough* premier Mr Carr promised on election several years ago that it would be dual carriageway to Brisbane within ten years, yet his roads and traffic minister Mr Scully reported a few weeks back that it couldn't be done "within the next 20"!
Anyway the road in its present condition is a fair touring test for a car as it offers varying surfaces and driving conditions.
The best sections.... the new bypass at Karuah (though it still has some traffic problems, but I'm talking about the road itself) and the Buladelah (sp?) bypass are probably about the best bits of road in Australia and the 110k limit is ridiculously low.
As a touring car the F6 is simply brilliant. My car was pretty full; full boot 2 passengers and through moderate and occasionally heavy holiday traffic made everything a breeze.
The thing you really appreciate is the in-gear acceleration. Because of the buckets of torque, the in-gear pulling power is fantastic. It allows you to effortlessly squirt past vehicles travelling in queue just under the limit in relatively short overtaking lanes, making overtaking so much safer and easier. You hardly ever have to even change down; 6th gear at 100k is about 1850rpm...max torque from 1750 to almost 5000. The in-gear acceleration figures were impressive in initial tests, but its in highway driving conditions that these figures mean something. I seriously doubt any unmodded HSV or GT is capable of dealing with traffic so easily.
Some parts of the road were simply made for this car, like the forest south of Coffs. Unfortunately because of numerous fatals on this section the limit is now 90, but in the early morning when the road is empty.......... Keep the revs in the power band,3rd and 4th gear sweepers .... *goes all misty-eyed*. The thing is a joy to point and boot (nah its not "boot" ...better if you squeeeze!) and has so much grip. Great fun!
The most startling thing about the trip tho was the fuel economy. Mostly, yes, I stuck to speed limits (ok theres a few straight sections of expressway...and there wasn't too much traffic on the way up....... )
so I expected reasonablr economy. I haven't got anything to really compare it with but the trip up averaged 10.4 l/100k according to the computer and the entire round trip including a couple of relatively hard squirts drives averaged 11.1 l/100k.
The only real issue I have with the car is the grinding, grating, rattling from the gearbox. Unfortunately it seems to be getting worse so I'm concerned. It's only between about 1500 and 2000 rpm but particularly noticeable under load. The car pulls so easily from this rev band that you want to be able to use the torque available. You should'nt have to change down because of gearbox harshness. Because 6th gear and 100k is right in the middle of this zone it becomes annoying. I'm wondering if it may be as simple as a different gb oil....any ideas? My car has very faint driveline shunt.. I can live with it ....easily,and the diff ....is so far silent.

Overall, I still love it and congratulate Ford on a fine vehicle.

Ian
fpv f6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 03:02   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Re: Holidays in a Typhoon

Great post Ian and thank you for sharing it with us. All the BA models make fantastic highway motor cars, but would imagine having that 550 Nm of boosted torque would make it a blast. It's shame about the gearbox noise and I would have Ford look at it ASAP.

Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:38   #3 (permalink)

Ian,

Can only agree with you wholeheartly. As the proud owner of Typhoon number 44. I went on a little trip over Chrissy with my son, Perth to Albany and back (about 410km one way).

This car is a true "mile eater" and I also have to say that the torque really came into its own on the open highway. I was cruising at 120 kmh in 6th gear, about 2200 rpm all the way. Had her in Cruise control mode and she was just purring, when I came to a hill, no problem all that happened was the turbo boost needles raised a little off the peg and that was it.

Occassionaly I had to overtake a B double with maybe one or two riceburners stuck behind it, no problem, just a flick back to fifth gear and hey presto :).

I was also surprised with the fuel economy, I registered 11L / 100 km for the trip and this agreed with the fuel pump calculation. N ot bad for a car that has barely been run in (3,000 km on the clock).

The only thing I have in common is the driveline shunt, minor, but than again this is my third Ford (all manuals, two XR6's and now F6) and they all had hte same problem. Maybe it really is just a Ford quirk?

Only problem is.... do I go for the APS stage 2 :).... hell yeah !!!

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:03   #4 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

They must be a great car, the F6. I LOVE driving my T on the H/Way. They still pull hard at 110. The F6 must be magic to drive!!

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 13:37   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Holidays in a Typhoon

Ian,

I have picked up my F6 and absolutely love it . Drove it on my holidays and experienced the same fuel consumption. The only thing is around town you know about it.
I do have to admit I miss the V8 grumble (owned a EL XR8 - supercharged and a TS50 which was great), but that quickly gets forgotten when that turbo kicks in and as for the torque... well all I can say "is unbelievable" . Also, you don’t know how quick you are going due to the cabin being quiet, you look down and you are doing 130k 140k plus, engine running so smooth, again not used to a quiet car
(Ahhh the good old V8)

One question for you guys, I checked the oil levels the next day, and surprise, it was close to empty. Had to go and top up. Have you noticed the same??
(I have only just hit 2000Ks).

Cheers Simon
Old 01-06-2005, 14:04   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_FPV
Ian,

I have picked up my F6 and absolutely love it . Drove it on my holidays and experienced the same fuel consumption. The only thing is around town you know about it.
I do have to admit I miss the V8 grumble (owned a EL XR8 - supercharged and a TS50 which was great), but that quickly gets forgotten when that turbo kicks in and as for the torque... well all I can say "is unbelievable" . Also, you don’t know how quick you are going due to the cabin being quiet, you look down and you are doing 130k 140k plus, engine running so smooth, again not used to a quiet car
(Ahhh the good old V8)

One question for you guys, I checked the oil levels the next day, and surprise, it was close to empty. Had to go and top up. Have you noticed the same??

Cheers Simon
Simon,

after my 1,000 k Perth - Albany - Perth run that was one of the first things I checked both in Albany and back in Perth. I was happy to find that I had not used any noticeable oil.

If you managed to run it near dry then something is WRONG! I would get it checked straight away.

cheers

Peter
Old 01-06-2005, 20:37   #7 (permalink)
Mid-life crisis

Quote:
Ian,

(Ahhh the good old V8)

Cheers Simon
G'day Simon,

Welcome to the Forums, mate and many congratulations on your purchase!

Yeah, like Peter says, oil usage is a worry and you made me go out and check mine again as I haven't done it since I got back. Fortunately theres no sign of any oil loss at all so I'd be getting that checked absolutely straight away.
I know there are various issues with the boss engines using oil... sometimes at a fairly alarming rate, but I haven't heard of anyone using oil in a 6 at all. What was the gauge showing you??... no low oil pressure alarms??

Ian
fpv f6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 15:08   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv f6t
G'day Simon,

Welcome to the Forums, mate and many congratulations on your purchase!

Yeah, like Peter says, oil usage is a worry and you made me go out and check mine again as I haven't done it since I got back. Fortunately theres no sign of any oil loss at all so I'd be getting that checked absolutely straight away.
I know there are various issues with the boss engines using oil... sometimes at a fairly alarming rate, but I haven't heard of anyone using oil in a 6 at all. What was the gauge showing you??... no low oil pressure alarms??

Ian

-------------------------------
Thanks Ian,

Very very happy with the purchase. I do seem to have another problem with the car and I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same and that is I do not want to get out of the beast. I take the long way to home and work in fact everywhere I go!

In regards to the oil usage, I took it to my ford Dealer and the FPV guys mentioned that it is not uncommon for this to happen especially when you are in the running in process....or in my case the lack off. I tend to drive all my cars hard as soon as I get them.
The gauges were fine. I have taken it on another trip and it seems to have settled down. I will keep watching it. It is coming up for it’s 3000Kms service and I can tell you one thing, Ford recommends the cheap oil, not the nice synthetic stuff that I have always been using in all my cars!!!!! Mate that is crazy. I think I will be supplying my own oil (synthetic) when it goes in for its service.

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-10-2005, 23:57   #9 (permalink)
MYF6

Hi Simon. Understand driving the long way everywhere. Great arn't they?

imho suggest you keep the mineral oil up to her till the oil consumption question is settled and you get to a point where she does not use oil. If its still bedding in and you change away from mineral you will effectively halt the bed in process with synthetic. I had them drop the oil and change the filter at the 3000km service and refill with mineral in my F6. I plan to drop the mineral at 7000Km for synthetic. My F6 has used less than 250mls in 5500Km so hope your oil consumption stabilises quickly.

Cheers
Craig
Old 01-11-2005, 04:40   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

-------------------------------
Thanks Ian,

Very very happy with the purchase. I do seem to have another problem with the car and I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same and that is I do not want to get out of the beast. I take the long way to home and work in fact everywhere I go!

In regards to the oil usage, I took it to my ford Dealer and the FPV guys mentioned that it is not uncommon for this to happen especially when you are in the running in process....or in my case the lack off. I tend to drive all my cars hard as soon as I get them.
The gauges were fine. I have taken it on another trip and it seems to have settled down. I will keep watching it. It is coming up for it’s 3000Kms service and I can tell you one thing, Ford recommends the cheap oil, not the nice synthetic stuff that I have always been using in all my cars!!!!! Mate that is crazy. I think I will be supplying my own oil (synthetic) when it goes in for its service.

Cheers
Simon
Simon,

I have to agree with Craig. The oil consumption you quote seems to be too radical. Have done 4,000k in my little blue girl and she has hardly used any oil.... and I have been following the run in guidelines. I would be keeping a real CLOSE eye on that oil usage ..... and if it does not settle .... get it fixed....

Other than that... what can I say Typhoon is as much fun as a bloke can have sitting :)

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo