I cancelled my order for a Typhoon..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 00:55   #1 (permalink)
MADABOUTFORDS

I cancelled my order for a Typhoon.....

I know I'm probably going to get roasted on this subject but I must say that I cancelled my order on my Typhoon soon after the negative article in the "Herald-Sun" a few weeks ago. I saw the first article in "The Age" and freaked. I calmed myself down and thought it cant be right. The second artcle gave me chills down my spine. I thought I'm not paying $60k for a car and have to go back for warranty work!!!!!!!!!

Not happy Jan. Anyway I cancelled the order and I purchased an XR6T Mk2. I'm happy with the car but just thought I would post this as FPV people seem to read this material. I must say that the lack of straightline speed that has been reported since the news of clutch failures has only reinforced my decision to cancel the Typhoon order.

To FPV: I feel that the Typhoon has under delivered on it promise. I know no particular promise was made in writing. I talk more about the implied promise of "a step forward" "the next phase" etc,etc. Your fooling youselves people if you dont think straight line speed matters to performance car buyers. Hell the best time for the 1/4 mile in a Typhoon is 14.04 secs which by my estimation is 0.1 secs faster than a stock XR6T Mk1 ( I know on a different day rah,rah,rah). What do you think people look at first? SPEED!!!! Then is it a good ride and is it reliable. There you go. A bit of free market research right back at you......
Blueblud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 01:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: I cancelled my order for a Typhoon.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblud
I know I'm probably going to get roasted on this subject but I must say that I cancelled my order on my Typhoon soon after the negative article in the "Herald-Sun" a few weeks ago. I saw the first article in "The Age" and freaked. I calmed myself down and thought it cant be right. The second artcle gave me chills down my spine. I thought I'm not paying $60k for a car and have to go back for warranty work!!!!!!!!!

Not happy Jan. Anyway I cancelled the order and I purchased an XR6T Mk2. I'm happy with the car but just thought I would post this as FPV people seem to read this material. I must say that the lack of straightline speed that has been reported since the news of clutch failures has only reinforced my decision to cancel the Typhoon order.

To FPV: I feel that the Typhoon has under delivered on it promise. I know no particular promise was made in writing. I talk more about the implied promise of "a step forward" "the next phase" etc,etc. Your fooling youselves people if you dont think straight line speed matters to performance car buyers. Hell the best time for the 1/4 mile in a Typhoon is 14.04 secs which by my estimation is 0.1 secs faster than a stock XR6T Mk1 ( I know on a different day rah,rah,rah). What do you think people look at first? SPEED!!!! Then is it a good ride and is it reliable. There you go. A bit of free market research right back at you......
You are a very wise man Blublud I think you have saved yourself a few sleepless nights. I just found the cause of the rattle in the front RH side of mine that had the mechanics stumped. Some fool on the production line at the clown factory simply shoved the piece of plastic in behind the front guard at the door end without bothering to put the clips in so there is a plastic panel happily flapping in the breeze. Had to just laugh and wonder what else they forgot to bolt up properly, pretty good for what was supposed to be an enviable high speed weapon. Perhaps it may drive me to the
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:56   #3 (permalink)

Well a Typhoon is a XR6T so you are getting one anyway. It just has more options. Doesnt matter which car you choose you mod either of them and you'll be happy with the power
Geeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Welcome to the forum Blueblud, but a very unfortunate way to start you first post. At least on the brighter side you have ordered a XR6T so congratulations on that. The good people at FPV do read these forums from time to time and I'm sure they are aware they have some problems on there hands.

This is not aimed at you Blueblud, but for others posting in this thread lets not make this another F6 vs XR6T debate or a F6 bash either. There have already been plenty of threads started on those topics. All constructive comments welcome.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:15   #5 (permalink)
MADABOUTFORDS

Thanks people for your thoughts. I have bought what I feel is a pretty good car. For my part I would like to think that one day Ford do an all alloy version of the IL6 and strap a 6-speed auto behind the motor. If they could shave off a few kgs, say around 50 or so without comprimising the build quality then I believe the car would be a real weapon!!

By the way my XR6T is a 6-speed manual and it has the same gearbox chatter that Hypnodoc mentioned on another thread. If it drives me around the bend I will get the suggested oil. Not too bad at the moment though. finally I marvel at the economy...500kms around town with limited freeway driving despite hiting the loud pedal fairly often! Cheers.
Blueblud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 14:43   #6 (permalink)

I think its sad (but understandable) that you actually cancelled an order because of what some journo's have written. Don't get me wrong, I understand how dis-heartening it is to read bad things about a car that you've really wanted...but I wouldn't have gone and got an XR6 straight away...perhaps just held off a bit to see what happens.
Again, I do understand it though...despite what some of us think about a lot of auto journo's, those prikcs do have a lot of influence.
TJS-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 15:07   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblud

Welcome to the site. I dont' think anyone will roast you. It's totally understanding that you backed out as I was in the same boat as well. 60K is not petty cash and it makes me a bit nervous reading all those journo articles as well. One thing I've learnt from this experience is that you can't believe everything journo's write. In the end I've chosen to go ahead with the Typhoon for my own reasons. Hope you enjoy your xr6T.
Phoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 22:48   #8 (permalink)
wasting money on cars

welcome mate.at least your still in the turbo six that seems to be quicker anyway
dicast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 00:59   #9 (permalink)

well ford has just recalled a hundred or so typhoon's (all the cars sold?) for warranty repair on the clutches, so maybe the journos werent totally wrong?

"Production of the turbocharged F6 Typhoon has been suspended. The car maker is conducting a recall while it rectifies clutch problems. Clutches have failed in nine cars."

"This week, Ford's performance vehicles division (FPV) began contacting the 100 or so customers who have taken delivery of Typhoons and informed them that their cars will need to be returned to the dealer to have a new clutch fitted."

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...vf=2&bg=1&pp=0
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 13:16   #10 (permalink)

If enough people cancel their ordered cars, maybe the message will sink in at FPV that we, the (might have been) customers arent impressed
R33GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo