I have December MOTOR right here... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 01:07   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

I have December MOTOR right here...

Hi guys

I got December MOTOR this morning. And yes, the times posted were correct, the real ones that is. Here they are for the F6 and the GT.

F6

0-10....0.51
0-20....0.99
0-30....1.44
0-40....1.89
0-50....2.35
0-60....2.86
0-70....3.42
0-80....4.33
0-90....4.98
0-100...5.73
400m....14.02

GT

0-10....0.54
0-20....1.06
0-30....1.56
0-40....2.03
0-50....2.54
0-60....3.03
0-70....3.76
0-80....4.34
0-90....5.04
0-100....5.74
400m....13.85

The comments were generally good re the F6 in the article although they did comment on having trouble doing burnouts in it because of the clutch:

"Less happy is the Typhoons twin plate clutch, which is obviously strong and takes up smoothly and predictably but offers sod-all feel in the process. The friction point is hard to judge in Blundstones, even through the metal pedal pads. But there's so much grunt, even at low revs, so stalling the thing isnt really too likely. This was brought home during a photo session, which, in the time honoured MOTOR tradition, required a burnout.

Basicall I ballsed it up; stepping off the clutch with nowhere near enough revs on board. In just about anything else, the thing would have bogged and stalled but the Typhoon's clutch held and the motor hung on grimly, grunted me back from the abyss, built some boost and then flung the tacho needle into the limiter before I could even think about grabbing second."

He he

They basically say its smooth and quiet and are reasonably impressed I think.

Interesting comment when comparing the XR6T:

"Compared with an XR6T, its faster, yes. But perkier? No, not really."

Anyways, as you can see from the times above, it seems that 0-100, the F6 beats the GT across the board although the GT does catch up. It seems that right to the full 400m length, it the GT does reel in the F6 and in fact beat it. I guess the GT was always gonna do that given that the KW difference between the two becomes an issue only towards the higher revs/end of the quarter... and this is where the GT has its strength I guess.

What it means for ME though, is off the traffic lights, I will probably beat a GT in an F6, off the line and to 100kmh. But on the drag strip, perhaps not, as the lack if higher end power and the drop off of torque may be its undoing....

I also wonder about the differences in times between using the correvit and the times at the strip. From what I know there is a few tenths difference in favour of the drags, on account of the car being moving when timing begins, whereas the correvit measures time from the instant the car moves.... So would we be expecting mid to high 13s from the F6 at the drags???

Also I wonder how MOTOR test them? Is it not correct that MOTOR test with a driver AND a passenger and half a tank of fuel? And this is not the case on the strip???

I also wonder about the running in of the F6 - I know that the Ford I6s do take a long time to run in, say 5000km + before it is free revving... and is it correct that the 6s are more prone to a longer run in time than the V8s? So would we expect better times from MOTOR tests in a few months, even when compared to the GT???

Anyways, just my thoughts....

I'm still gonna buy one. It's screaming out for mods IMO!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138

Last edited by XRchic; 11-09-2004 at 01:18. Reason: Buggered the formatting!!!
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Re: I have December MOTOR right here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Hi guys

I got December MOTOR this morning. And yes, the times posted were correct, the real ones that is. Here they are for the F6 and the GT.

F6

0-10....0.51
0-20....0.99
0-30....1.44
0-40....1.89
0-50....2.35
0-60....2.86
0-70....3.42
0-80....4.33
0-90....4.98
0-100...5.73
400m....14.02

GT

0-10....0.54
0-20....1.06
0-30....1.56
0-40....2.03
0-50....2.54
0-60....3.03
0-70....3.76
0-80....4.34
0-90....5.04
0-100....5.74
400m....13.85

The comments were generally good re the F6 in the article although they did comment on having trouble doing burnouts in it because of the clutch:

"Less happy is the Typhoons twin plate clutch, which is obviously strong and takes up smoothly and predictably but offers sod-all feel in the process. The friction point is hard to judge in Blundstones, even through the metal pedal pads. But there's so much grunt, even at low revs, so stalling the thing isnt really too likely. This was brought home during a photo session, which, in the time honoured MOTOR tradition, required a burnout.

Basicall I ballsed it up; stepping off the clutch with nowhere near enough revs on board. In just about anything else, the thing would have bogged and stalled but the Typhoon's clutch held and the motor hung on grimly, grunted me back from the abyss, built some boost and then flung the tacho needle into the limiter before I could even think about grabbing second."

He he

They basically say its smooth and quiet and are reasonably impressed I think.

Interesting comment when comparing the XR6T:

"Compared with an XR6T, its faster, yes. But perkier? No, not really."

Anyways, as you can see from the times above, it seems that 0-100, the F6 beats the GT across the board although the GT does catch up. It seems that right to the full 400m length, it the GT does reel in the F6 and in fact beat it. I guess the GT was always gonna do that given that the KW difference between the two becomes an issue only towards the higher revs/end of the quarter... and this is where the GT has its strength I guess.

What it means for ME though, is off the traffic lights, I will probably beat a GT in an F6, off the line and to 100kmh. But on the drag strip, perhaps not, as the lack if higher end power and the drop off of torque may be its undoing....

I also wonder about the differences in times between using the correvit and the times at the strip. From what I know there is a few tenths difference in favour of the drags, on account of the car being moving when timing begins, whereas the correvit measures time from the instant the car moves.... So would we be expecting mid to high 13s from the F6 at the drags???

Also I wonder how MOTOR test them? Is it not correct that MOTOR test with a driver AND a passenger and half a tank of fuel? And this is not the case on the strip???

I also wonder about the running in of the F6 - I know that the Ford I6s do take a long time to run in, say 5000km + before it is free revving... and is it correct that the 6s are more prone to a longer run in time than the V8s? So would we expect better times from MOTOR tests in a few months, even when compared to the GT???

Anyways, just my thoughts....

I'm still gonna buy one. It's screaming out for mods IMO!
What color was the F6 if it was the VIXEN one it had around the 4000 kay mark on it.

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:49   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Lightening Strike
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 11-09-2004, 01:53   #4 (permalink)
Harry Be Kewell

0-100 in 5.7 is still ****en fast. F6 looks awsome, lots nicer than ugly new HSV range. love those mags on it.
Kewell_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:02   #5 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewell_711
0-100 in 5.7 is still ****en fast. F6 looks awsome, lots nicer than ugly new HSV range. love those mags on it.
Yeah like I said, I'll still live with it when I get one LOL.

And I agree, put it next to the Clubbie especially and it's all class IMO. And yes, agreed re the wheels - love 'em!!!!!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 11-09-2004, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

F6 will be a tweakers delight, few little tweaks and tune it will hammer....Have a look at the XR6T.
Ford could have easly made the F6 quicker than the GT, but were would that leave there GT sales...

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:29   #7 (permalink)
MYF6

The forces of the universe are in balance. The F6 and the GT have virtually identical times - as they should. The V8 and T6 clans will both be happy and everyone gets what they want - bloody fast world class cars - and Ford don't rob from the GT to give to the F6.

As many have stated: Any car with a 0-100 under 6 seconds is bloody fast. To get top line handling and a comfortable interior like the GT/F6 you have to look at the european cars and for them you don't get change from under 150 grand. Aussie, aussie, aussie!!

Now, where did I put that Exede I pulled out of the XR6T...?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:35   #8 (permalink)
gone

Carnt wait to see what the real world times are on the straight!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:38   #9 (permalink)
Tornado F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
F6 will be a tweakers delight, few little tweaks and tune it will hammer....Have a look at the XR6T.
Ford could have easly made the F6 quicker than the GT, but were would that leave there GT sales...
I agree 100% .. Ford has an obligation to the GT owners and they are treading a very fine line.
As you say a "Tweakers delight" with 550nm Torque and only 270kw the F6 is shackled to please the GT boys but they all know that the F6 is a weapon and there is now way an N/A engine will match it in the long run.
Its all about Torque and something most drivers still have not come to grips with how to drive.
Unfortunately the Torque could best be used with an Auto but not to be at this point in time but as people adapt the the torque you will see the F6 rule for a long time.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:47   #10 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge
Carnt wait to see what the real world times are on the straight!
For sure! I think that will be the real test.... And one we can compare to other cars times on here.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo