Manaul v auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2004, 04:48   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Manaul v auto

I have just been having an auto v manual argument with someone, specifically re the T. I am pro manual, they are pro auto. I hate autos, especially in the T, but that is kinda beside the point.....

My argument for the manual was that yes, there are some durability issues, and yes, some people find it horrid to drive, but that they are not as bad as people make out, that they are pretty decent to drive, especially once run in and that they can handle a surprising amount of power....not to mention manuals are more fun to drive.... but again, besides the point.

The other side argued that the autos are stronger (yes, I agree with that, I think) and that the manual in the BA is waste of time, particularly if you modify the T.... the guys that did my APS chip reckon the manuals handle Phase II ok (and I don't mean racing it either, obviously that is a different issue) but that they have had some autos come back post Phase II that have been buggered.... Anyway, the other side reckons everyone they know that has BA manual has hated it, reckons it is shocking to use, has had to be fixed and have gone for auto....

I have heard SOME stories about the BA manuals being shyte, mostly in car mags (which I tend to not totally believe in that they often test cars in EXTREME conditions that regular drivers don't) and all the stories about the autos being MUCH better with the T.....I know plenty of people who own Ts with manuals that love them and no probs, but the other side reckons everyone they know it is the opposite..... I have also driven the T with auto - hated it, really whiny, boring etc. Driven manual T too (not with chip) and loved it. Have also driven auto and manual XTs, auto and manual XR8s (BA), auto and manual AUs of various kinds and have hated the autos in all of them - athough the BA XR8 manual was clunky - presumably due to having to be bigger to handle 260kw....

Oh, and I own a BA XR6 manual - for 9 months - have had no trouble with it and actually love it. Other side reckons I am just lucky, that 95% of the BA manuals are crap, they die quickly (with normal use) and that I don't know what I am talking about (he owns XT auto I think).

The question is not about whether you like it or not - that is a matter of taste.... although it would be interesting to hear your views on what you like... but I would like to know what any of you think about the durability issues of manual v auto BA, particularly with regard to mods....

Not looking to start an argument - just wanna hear what you all think, coz if I am wrong, and you all agree with the other side, I will apologise to them on the spot.... Are the BA manuals crap or not? And are the autos in Ts as good as they say in the mags?

Cheers
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2004, 05:07   #2 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Re: Manaul v auto

Mines a manual,

I nearly bought an auto as I wanted Lightning strike and was told that I'd be waiting at least 4 months for a manual one.

There was an auto on the showroom floor that I could have driven away that day. I nearly did and I would have enjoyed it for about 6 months, then I would have been bored and wished I'd waited for the manual.

My AUII XR6 was manual and I had a few problems of it popping out of first. It amost turned me off manuals altogether.

When the BA was released and the jurnos were complaining about missing the 2-3rd throw I wondered what they were on about. However I soon found out that I was doing the same thing. Now though, I'm used to it and have no problems. Even though the gearbox is the same as the AU, it has a better feel to it.

As for reliability issues? Well it's a new car with a new car warranty. If there is a problem Ford will fix it. Worse comes to worse, I'll see Mal Wood and get a 6 speed fitted.

I have a shorter gear lever ordered ( I had one on the AU). They improve the throw and make it quicker. Hopefully I should be fitting that next week.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:29   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Yeah, good points. I think they take a bit of getting used to. Shorter stick sounds good too.

As for reliability and durability, my main question was particularly in regard to mods, so basically, if you get the mods, void your warranty and f*ck your manual, you can't go back to Ford! And I keep hearing very conflicting stories about that exact issue - can the T manual handle the mods or not? Coz I aint gettin no auto - mods or not!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 03-20-2004, 06:33   #4 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

XRchic, it does not matter what we think, you have to drive it, so if you like manual, then get it.

btw, if its auto, your really only steering :)
Old 03-20-2004, 06:49   #5 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon coupe
XRchic, it does not matter what we think, you have to drive it, so if you like manual, then get it.

btw, if its auto, your really only steering :)
Yeah, I love mine, no doubts. But if ya saw my signature thingy, you would see I currently own a non turbo XR6..... so my question was mainly about durability in the T - coz I am thinking of getting a T, and from there, thinking about Phase II.....I have heard so much conflicting stuff from so many people about whether the T manual can handle it or not, and I wouldn't mind knowing what you all have experienced with your turbs, manual OR auto - coz it might influence my decision on whether or not to get mods at all.... I don't have the dosh to spend on doing it up all the time if the gearbox craps itself all the time....

And I am in a "debate" with someone who says that ALL BA manuals are rubbish, that no-one likes them, the manual cannot handle the power increase from mods, etc, etc and I just don't think everyone thinks that.... and thought you guys would be able to give me more of a clue either way....

I like the steering comment - auto with cruise on.... as fun as watching Skaife drive (shit, sorry, that IS fun(ny) most of the time - I meant as fun as watching golf or something....)

Thanks for the comments though : )))
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 03-20-2004, 07:18   #6 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

first car was an XE falcon s pack manual... loved the manual, but hated it because i couldnt drive one handed. was a bitch because of non manual steering..

second car is my eb. LOVED the auto.... for a week. then ever since id wanted to put a manual in it.. trying to drive it like a manual killed the gearbox and gave me the chance to drop a manual in it.

so thats what i did. nothin compares to a manual i reckon.. autos are alright to cruise around in a bit, but you're not driving the car.. you're just dictating whether to speed up or slow down.

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:19   #7 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

as far as durability goes... i think it all evens out.. sure the t5 aint known as the strongest box around, it does well against near standard engines, and its really doing alot of flat changing that hurts it.

Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
Old 03-20-2004, 07:22   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartion
first car was an XE falcon s pack manual... loved the manual, but hated it because i couldnt drive one handed. was a bitch because of non manual steering..

second car is my eb. LOVED the auto.... for a week. then ever since id wanted to put a manual in it.. trying to drive it like a manual killed the gearbox and gave me the chance to drop a manual in it.

so thats what i did. nothin compares to a manual i reckon.. autos are alright to cruise around in a bit, but you're not driving the car.. you're just dictating whether to speed up or slow down.
I see your EB, jmartion! Very nice! Love the colour! Changed to manual, huh? Gee, big move! GOOD move! Yeah, accelerate, brake, go left, go right.... why don't we just get GPS that you can just enter your destination into, and just let it drive there itself..... Ha ha.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 03-20-2004, 07:23   #9 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartion
as far as durability goes... i think it all evens out.. sure the t5 aint known as the strongest box around, it does well against near standard engines, and its really doing alot of flat changing that hurts it.
Yep, that's pretty much what I reckon too....
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 03-20-2004, 07:38   #10 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

hey go on irc!

yeh i was really pissed off when i saw minority report and saw all the future cars driving themselves..

i'd kill myself if it came to that.. pfft thats not driving... hell... i wouldnt even rate it as anthing other than a minibus..

Last edited by jmartion; 03-20-2004 at 07:43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo