MkII XR6T Oil Consumption - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 20:02   #1 (permalink)

MkII XR6T Oil Consumption

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading it for a few months now. I own a MkII XR6 Turbo - Shockwave in standard form.

I have noticed a rather excessive use of oil and afrer discussions with my dealer, I am on an oil consumption test. In the space of some 3,500 klms I have used 1.6 litres of oil - rather a lot for a car with 20,000+ kms under its belt.

Has anybody else had this problem and if yes, what was the outcome.

Look forward to hearing your views.

Canberra XRT
Canberra XRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005, 20:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: MkII XR6T Oil Consumption

My MkII was also placed on an oil consumption test when I took it in to get the power steering pump replaced. Still have not taken it back in for the check. My car has about 15 000 kms on the clock.
Old 07-26-2005, 22:13   #3 (permalink)

My Mk1T used to consistently use about 1 to 1.5 litres of oil every 15k. It stayed consistent on the stick until about 9k after a service then seemed to use it faster as it got closer to service time. I accepted it after a while- no engine problems up to 70k when I changed it over for an xr8.
1.6 litres in only 3-4k would be exessive in my view.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:31   #4 (permalink)
It wasn't me officer

Ha ha sucked in mate. Nah just kidding, i'm the sucker, I bought a new MKII 6sp and in the first 1000km used 4L. Then in 450kms used 2.5L. and another 750mls in a weekend. No leaks, no smoke.....just some oil gremlin. Anyway with 2150kms on the clock a new engine is on its way. Good luck mate, sorry to hear it happened to you as well.
IH8PORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 19:27   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. I had a collegue who also had this problem and blew up his engine because apparenetly the oil guage does not light up until almost empty, which in his case was too late.

Like others that responded, I don't have any obvious leak or don't seem to be burning oil. My collegue with the blown (and I don't mean turbo charged) was told that it was leaking into the turbo - but this doesn't sound right to me.

Anyway I need to do a third check after another 1,000ks and I will do this over this weekend. I will keep you posted of the results and Fords response - which I think will be a new engine.

Do you tink that Ford would put in a typoon engine??? (Only kidding....)
Canberra XRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo