My mods, a step by step guide to good affordable power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2004, 04:08   #1 (permalink)
OFR No.33

My mods, a step by step guide to good affordable power

Just got my car back from my most recent mods. This is my entire mod history.
Here goes.
Part 1:
I had the centre muffler removed and had twin pipes made up with flanges that can bolt straight in. $150.00 (this has its own thread)
I installed a 2nd homemade intake to the existing air box. $30ish(this has its own thread)
I also installed a BMC air filter.$170ish (numerous threads on this)

I'm not sure what the dyno read on this would have been. I do know that a stock XR6Turbo is supposed to run 14.6 for the 1/4 mile (i know there are variations but i read that this is the average figure) and i had a best with just these mods of 14.02@99mph.
Total cost of Part 1 = $350.00

Part 2:

I had the Xede piggyback cpu installed. This is the Chiptorque chip. It was installed at Chiptorque's Melbourne distributor Amberley Auto's in Dandenong. They are great and very helpful. They also listen to what you want and tune the car to your requests. This gave me 233.3rwkw's. They tested the car with my Geea stage 1 mods and it gave a reading of 196rwkw's so a gain of 37rwkw's with just the chip was good i thought. Some people claim more rwkw's with different mods, all dynos are different. I ran a 13.322 @ 105.37mph at Calder i have another 13.3 aswell so i'm happy with this. This cost $1095 for the Xede, $355 for tuning and $145 GST for a grand total of $1595. The car is now running 8psi. The only slight problem i have is when the air is cool and the car is cold it can hit the boost cut out until it heats up a bit. I was told that i could turn the boost down a touch or just be aware of it till it heats up. It only happens during the first 10 minutes or so from start up so i left it at 8psi. This happens because the injectors are at their capacity.

Total costs of Part 1&2 is $1945.00 I'm very happy sofar.

Part 2A: Auto upgrade. (this has its own thread)

Kewish Automotive

Remove Automatic Transmission
Modify Valve Body
Modify Pump Regulator Valve
Reset Clutches - Band Replace (Hi-Torque)
Fit Large Cooler
Assemble and Top up with Oil.
Total inc GST $1690.00

It took 2 1/2 days. During the rebuild they had it back together then tested it and said that it was changing to hard they then did some more work to the valve body to make it a bit less harsh.
The auto is awesome. Its a bit clunky when in auto and under very little throttle. When using 1/4 throttle or more its amazing and maual mode is like a clutchless manual.

Total costs so far:
Parts 1&2 $1945
Part 2A $1690

Now the good stuff.
Part 3:

Tuesday i dropped the car off and picked it up just after lunch today. (1 1/2 Days)
I had 6x Bosch fuel injectors (part no. 0280155968) installed $979.20
I also had a new fuel pump installed $398.00
Labour was $350.00
GST $172.72

Total $1899.92

I wasn't sure about the fuel pump, Ian said the old one is capable but it could deteriorate and cause problems in the future, so i got it as insurance. The injectors are out of a Volvo v70Rawd, i could have gotten the injectors a bit cheaper through friends but it would have taken a few months and i couldn't wait. They have the same housing and connections as the standard Ford injector with a bigger flow.
The car was then retuned on the dyno. Ian said he could have gotten another 5-10rwkw's but that it wopuld have caused heat problems with the standard intercooler. The car now has 255.5rwkw's an improvemant of 22.2rwkw's. This was also on a hot day (32C) so it could be good for an extra 5 or so rwkw's on a cool day.
I have been told that it is roughly 345fwkw's. This isn't exact so dont flame me

Total cost of Geea's mods
Parts 1-2-3 = $3845.00 For 255.5rwkw's
Part 2A (auto mods) = $1690.00 For a very solid and fast changing auto.

The car is amazing to drive it drives like a family 6cylinder in traffic. When you put your foot down it doesn't stop pulling, it keeps you pinned to the seat till you take your foot off the accelerator. Ian said it should be good for around 12.7ish. He told me after the chip it should do 13.5- 13.6 and i got 13.3 so i'll have to see.

Initially after picking the car up i was immediately thinking about a bigger intercooler and 12-13psi of boost. After driving round in it for a few hours i dont think i'm going to change anything, its awesome. Time may change this veiw, we'll have to wait and see.

If anyone has any question ask away and if your in Melbourne let me know and if possible we can catch up.

Part 4 Hi/Lo Switch with Hi boost map

Dropped of the car at Amberley Auto's on Wednesday morning and picked it up Friday, I asked if i could get more power earlier aswell as the high power map.
The original tune was 9psi running up to 10psi and achived 255.5 rwkw's. This was altered to be 10psi all the time and is great.
The performance tune is at 12psi and achieves 270.4rwkw's, its awesome.
The switch cost $13.00 and the tune involved a few hours on the dyno.

The new bottom line is 278rwkw's and
12.320@116.56mph.
Gotta be happy with that.

Geea

RIP BOOF 28/02/03-20/08/04 12.24@115.38mph
.....HPF.....
geea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2004, 04:37   #2 (permalink)
OFR #7

Re: My mods, a step by step guide to good affordable power

Very impressive geea, when are you heading out to Calder next? Would be good to catch up with you out there.

I've taken a different route to you regarding mods, but ended up with a similar rwkw figure.

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 04:42   #3 (permalink)
OFR No.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mick
Very impressive geea, when are you heading out to Calder next? Would be good to catch up with you out there.

I've taken a different route to you regarding mods, but ended up with a similar rwkw figure.
Hey Mick, i'm planning on being there this Friday (16th April). The only thing that will stop me is rain.

Geea.

.....HPF.....
Old 04-15-2004, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
OFR #7

Can't make it tomorrow night, planning for April 23.

Good luck, can't wait to see your times.

Mick

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:01   #5 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Thanks for the great read Geea.

A fantastic effort and result I must say. You have taken an interesting approach, which is refreshing and it's good to see another chip supplier getting a good result to. No doubt the car is awesome to drive and from the outside she will look as stock as a rock with the standard exhaust exit.

Well-done mate!
Cheers,

Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:07   #6 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by geea
Hey Mick, i'm planning on being there this Friday (16th April). The only thing that will stop me is rain.

Geea.
GOOD stuff as you know i have Xede, had a slight change in tunning see you there tommorow night...
Great for $5500 with i tricked up auto...XR6T has got be the the best value for dollar = performance..
i noticed you didn't spend big bucks on a zorst, nizpro also belive its not worth spending a large some of money for 10 to 15 kwatts....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:21   #7 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA

A it's good to see another chip supplier getting a good result to.

Colville
its the perfect chip (Xede) for a turbo, it has a extra output that can be used for and any external gadget it gets set to any RPM when the car hits that RPM the output powers up the WRX's use it for water spray over the intercooler..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:04   #8 (permalink)
BA xr6 turbo

Well thats cheap horse power.my plan is to mix the and match kits. I want to get the custom alloy plenum,injectors and fuel pump out of the cobra kit in the current street machine mag, and the unichip and exhaust from aps, now that is the sexiest exhaust i have ever seen. and because the ba's work off such low boost the pwr intercooler is plenty big enough. im thinking that may not be the cheapest set up but would be a set up that would work very well.i haven't done 3000klms yet but when i have my first service she goes into the shop.

and 2002 Ba xr6 turbo,white,6 SPEED manual,gt wing,APS II,dvd+3 screens,19" wheels.278 rwkws
xlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:24   #9 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

Sounds like my dream XR6T you have there mate.
Good to see some cheap Hp being made.

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:08   #10 (permalink)
OFR No.33

Went to Calder tonight hoping for big things. I was aimimg for a 12.7-12.8, and to be honest if i didnt hit the 12's i was going to be disappointed.
I drag the car in exactly the same trim as it is driven on the road so i know what i get on the track i can duplicate on the street. I could possibly get faster times on slicks or similar tyres but i'm more interested in what i can do in the real world .
After arriving i let the car cool down for 40-50 minutes. I had some friends there aswell as the wife. Mark (100%) got there a bit latter so there was lots of good company to talk to as we all watched the cars running and waiting for our own to cool down.
In my first group of runs i was able to get a 12.885@111.87mph. This run had a 60" of 2.177. I was happy with the time and mph but it was early and i was hoping i could improve on this. I couldn't. I'm rapt though, the car was great. I also ran the following, including that run.

12.885 @ 111.87 60"= 2.177
12.927 @ 111.35 60"= 2.121
13.067 @ 110.97 60"= 2.189

I had a few other runs, some i never got the time slips and some were a bit slower due to wheel spin.
The 60" times are not that great. I tried to improve these but wasn't able to. I did all my good times while launching with 2000rpm on the tacho. If i went to 2100rpm i got lots of wheel spin.
I will talk to Ian at Amberleys cause i have a theory. I believe that the car has been tuned so that the power doesn't all come on to early, possibly to protect the drive line. I had a couple of runs against V8 BA's and both times i launched and was a little ahead then at a certain point the car would just take off and leave them for dead. It was an amazing feeling. If this is the case i think its good cause it will help the car in the long run.
I think that next time i go to Calder, if i let the car sit for 2 hours or so after arriving to really cool down it might shave 1/10-2/10's off the time but that is only my thoughts and i guess i'd have to do it first to find out.
I saw Mark had one run, i dont recall the time but i know it had a speed of approx 117mph, and that was on street tyres.
It was a great night and i rapt with my car.

.....HPF.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo