My new XR6 Turbo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2004, 00:25   #1 (permalink)

My new XR6 Turbo

Well guys, I've gone and done it.

New XR6 Turbo in Lightning Strike with premium sound and blue plexis cloth interior. It will be a 2004 build, with the delivery date around March 2004. I left myself an extra month to get rid of my current AUII.

One of my important issues for me is fuel economy. When I test drove the XR6 Turbo on Saturday, I notice that if I drove gently, I couldn't hear much of the turbo, and found that the ins fuel cinsumption was quite low.

I found when I fanged it, fuel consumption went up to 40-50 litres/100km.

What sought of fuel economy are you guys getting around town if you take it reasonably easy with the right foot ?
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2004, 19:48   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Re: My new XR6 Turbo

Why buy an XR6 Turbo and then worry about fuel economy. Just drive it and enjoy it, so what if it costs you a few extra bucks a week the enjoyment of giving it some stick should make it worth it. Interesting choice of interior color with the Lightning Strike exterior although you made a good color choice. My Lightning Strike XR8 looks awesome especially with the tinted windows.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:19   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxr8
Why buy an XR6 Turbo and then worry about fuel economy. Just drive it and enjoy it, so what if it costs you a few extra bucks a week the enjoyment of giving it some stick should make it worth it. Interesting choice of interior color with the Lightning Strike exterior although you made a good color choice. My Lightning Strike XR8 looks awesome especially with the tinted windows.
Yep true. I want fuel economy, while at the same time wanting power so I can 'cream' that wanky Holden next to me....yep I know it doesn't make sense...

When I test drove it on the weekend, I found if you dont take the revs up beyond 2700, the turbo barely kicks in anyway, but feel like a grandpa driver with those sought of revs.

PS - I hope your right about the BAII (later this year) not having many differences. I figure with 240kw, I should be safely ahead for a few years, and if I want more, some minor changes should be able to take me up to 280 with no probs.

I agree with tinted windows, looks great on Lightning Strike, but the dealer is trying to rip me off (asked for $495 to use the 3M - metallic free film). Told him to hold off, and I'll get back to him.

Spoke with Tint-a-car, the best they have is the Formula 1 Plus tint, while they use a carbon fibre based tint on the back windows b/c of the aerial. They recon that metal free films actually turn purple in the long run...

Where did you get your tinting done ? (and how much ?)
Old 01-13-2004, 16:58   #4 (permalink)

Hey Jamesa,

Nice colour choice. Mine is 5000kms old and currently averaging 17l/100kms. Highway is approx 8-9l/100kms, with the pedal down you can get as high as 80l/100kms .....hehehe.

It all depends how and where you drive. It is getting better though as they tend to once they get more kms under the hood. But yep I agree, do not expect great economy with power of 240kw.

Re the tint, try Australian Auto Tint, 401 Maroondah Hwy,Ringwood
9870 6800 or 0419511155 the guys name is Peter Matthews.
Approx $300.00 it is called reflective tint or something like that. Looks great.

Cheers.
XR6T Sedan, SSS Auto, Blueprint, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Sports Steering Wheel, CAI, BMC Filter, Centre Muffler Replaced with 2 x Straight Through 2.5" Pipes & Hot Dogs - OMG, WOW!!! Bring on the Edit, Injectors, Valve Springs, Bigger IC.......
TE Cortina 2.3Lt 200Hp Showcar (4 Sale - any interest?),
XR6T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:28   #5 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Where did you get your tinting done ? (and how much ?)[/QUOTE]

I've got the factory tint, with employee discount only cost about $250 so can't complain and it won't bugger up the radio reception like some tints can although I would like it a bit darker.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:29   #6 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxr8
Where did you get your tinting done ? (and how much ?)
I've got the factory tint, with employee discount only cost about $250 so can't complain and it won't bugger up the radio reception like some tints can although I would like it a bit darker.[/QUOTE]
Enjoy.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:29   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

[QUOTE=bossxr8]I've got the factory tint, with employee discount only cost about $250 so can't complain and it won't bugger up the radio reception like some tints can although I would like it a bit darker.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:35   #8 (permalink)

Tongue Re: My new XR6 Turbo

Its going to be just like mine. I too have made the leap with the same spec as yours but also with Side Airbags and a tow pack. Lighting Strike and Blue Plexis looks awesome. Getting mine in march. Only 48 more sleeps until wet dreams while I am awake.
KNOWHEREMAN_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 03:48   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOWHEREMAN_V8
Its going to be just like mine. I too have made the leap with the same spec as yours but also with Side Airbags and a tow pack. Lighting Strike and Blue Plexis looks awesome. Getting mine in march. Only 48 more sleeps until wet dreams while I am awake.
You getting your windows tinted dude ?
Old 01-26-2004, 07:13   #10 (permalink)

i get an average of about 11/100km with alot of highway driving everyday.
Venom XR Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo