My Test drive in a XR6T - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2003, 05:31   #1 (permalink)
FF Moderator

My Test drive in a XR6T

Well, I finally took a XR6T manual for a fang today. It was 35 degrees in Adelaide so this was probably not the best day to test this car out. The car was in phantom with the 18Ē and looked just beaut. Well I can best describe my driving experience of this car with two words. Sling-Shot

I am a V8 man all the way and was dead set on the XR8 (which I will drive on the weekend). I was really just driving the Turbo for the experience and comparison value, however I am just so impressed, what a car. The gear changes were good IMO and the car felt light, though I know itís not. I simply forgot I was in a family size car as it drove and handled more like a WRX.

There was a minor hesitation when I put my foot down, however when it came on, it came on stronger than any six Iíve ever driven. It actually felt faster and stronger than my previous modified 250kW AUXR8.

All I can say is if you havenít driven one of these, do yourself a favour and do it. Itís no V8, but the funny thing is this car is not trying to be one in the first place and it makes it so easy to accept this. Itís in a league of its own and feels more like a powerful sports car than a muscle bound grunter.

This must be the best new Ford I have driven in a while.

Cheers,
Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2003, 06:17   #2 (permalink)

Would you buy the XR6T?

JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 14:53   #3 (permalink)

was that the one at jarvis ford out payneham way.
I didnt think the 18's looked that good , especially for extra $2.
KAMIKAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 16:15   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KAMIKAZE
was that the one at jarvis ford out payneham way.
I didnt think the 18's looked that good , especially for extra $2.
????? 18" not look good? They looked great IMO. They also cost $1500 extra. I don not know anywhere you can by a set of 18" with the same dunlop performance rubber for $1500.

The car at Jarvis is a demo and it's just beaut, however I will be buying a new car as I qualify for FMC employee pricing.

Old 02-13-2003, 16:22   #5 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JG33
Would you buy the XR6T?
Well that's the question. I will reserve my judgement until I drive their XR8. I'm really a XR8 kind of person; however as mentioned in my original post, the XR6T has really just surprised and impressed me. A good friend of mine is a Holden nut and is considering a XR6T over an SS. This appears to be happening alot lately from my observation from colleagues and membership on LS1.com.au. It maybe fun to both have a XR6T's for a change instead of going with the norm (XR8 & SS).

I'm sooo torn it's not funny.

Old 02-13-2003, 18:16   #6 (permalink)
Mercury Silver XR6t owner

well all i can say is im gald i bought my turbo and you love it more and more everyday. yeah sure its had a few minor problems, but it is one damb fine car indeed. some times when i am about to get in i just say to myself God im lucky to have such a fine car.
mmmmm turbo ahahhhhrrrr.
Old 02-13-2003, 23:50   #7 (permalink)
Movin!

They certainly are an eye opener. I was suprised how powerful, balanced and good it felt after my first drive. Power virtually everywhere and i think it will be maybe the most popular XR in the line-up.

Although i prefer V8's, you can't be unsatisfied after driving a turbo
Old 02-14-2003, 04:29   #8 (permalink)
EHPerth

Quote:
Originally posted by OwnaXR6T
well all i can say is im gald i bought my turbo and you love it more and more everyday. yeah sure its had a few minor problems, but it is one damb fine car indeed. some times when i am about to get in i just say to myself God im lucky to have such a fine car.
mmmmm turbo ahahhhhrrrr.
Hear hear, this car really grows on me, I look forward to driving it each day - even trying to get the best (lowest) fuel consumption has become rewarding because it is such a well balanced car.

Had so many comments from people who admire the car - and I am a long time Holden man - with two EH's to look after as well!
Old 02-14-2003, 07:00   #9 (permalink)

CDAA
You only live once take a step outside the norm and go for it, as you've already learnt it's an all round nice car with heap's of grunt and although it's not an 8 with a burble you'll save a quid that you can put toward's more option's or even better a few tweak's.
Dagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 17:19   #10 (permalink)
Mercury Silver XR6t owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagabond
CDAA
You only live once take a step outside the norm and go for it, as you've already learnt it's an all round nice car with heap's of grunt and although it's not an 8 with a burble you'll save a quid that you can put toward's more option's or even better a few tweak's.

exactly, i at first was a bit disapointed with off the mark performance but now after having 10000km on the clock it has fully losened up and feels great from word go. and the 8 grand you will save could easily get you around 300kw, i personally want about 320kw so im going to have to get some ideas on what to do with my transmission and diff so it could handle such power.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo