My XR6T drive, just to be different! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2003, 15:24   #1 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Thumbs up My XR6T drive, just to be different!

Hi all,

Well, I've finally caught up with a lot of you. A month or so ago, I started putting out feelers with dealers here in Perth to get a test drive of an XR6T, with a view to changing up.

I got 2 calls back recently and went to 1st base yesterday afternoon

This one was a phantom auto, with 18's (like them!), premium sound, satnav & leather. My observations? First the negatives:

The leather's still, IMO, average. Not sure why it seems a lot like vinyl, after seeing photos of the Herrods leather, it just doesn't seem to cut it.

The handbrake is so plasticky! Sheez, add some meat to it, will ya?

I don't like the standard steering wheel, you get used to it, but the aesthetics aren't up with the one I have now. Will need to check out the sports and momo wheels.

I could only take it around a 'big block' (Newcastle, Beaufort, Walcott, William, Newcastle), as it was a floor car and already had 145km on the clock, plus the fact that there was only 26km of fuel in the tank! (18km, by the time I'd finished)

That's it. Now, on to the best bit:

I LOVE it! I was especially impressed with the gearbox. Having a manual now, I was a bit unsure how I'd like going back to the auto, but you truly do get the best of both worlds. Ummm, to backtrack... The power is cool, this was my first turbo, so it was a bit difficult for me to detect the difference between turbo and gear changes (sounds stupid, but that's what I felt at the time). It is SO smooth at changes, especially on down-shifts (I had an EL auto before my XR6) and always seems to be in the right gear.

I didn't play with the Tiptronic for a while, but when I had, I couldn't get enough of it! (Hehe). You know how sometimes in an auto, you're in slightly too high a gear when slowing down to be comfortable, well, just give it a quick flick to change down another gear.

I tried a couple of quick takeoffs at lights (not easy in the CBD, at 4:15pm, with the low fuel warning light on), without the tiptronic (is that the official name for it in the BA?) and with. The difference was beautiful. I want to do that again! (Funny,it was just like the buzz from skydiving and from being in the cockpit of a 747 landing at Singapore at night - a huge buzz, with time accellerating and going too quick. At the end, you say "Lets do that again!!!)

The car they had was an order that was cancelled, the guy got transferred overseas and they think they'll have to make it a demo as it's on the books at $63k and with the 145km, it will be a bit hard to shift. I'm going to ask them to let me know the day they do, so that I can have a better play and go on the freeway!

Anyway, I'm lined up with another dealer to have a drive of a manual this afternoon / evening. Bring it on!

Ford, Geoff, David and all the guys and girls involved, I am impressed!

Now I just have to do the sums to do a $56+ upgrade

Anyway, sorry to impose another "My XR6T drive" on you, but someone may be interested!

Simon....
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2003, 15:58   #2 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

A couple of things I forgot:

The auto just had standard brakes, I didn't notice a substantial difference from my premium pack. In fact, I had to ask if it had the premium kit as they felt 'good'.

The ride was smoother than the AUII XR6, not a long enough drive to pass total judgement, but was a talking point as we drove.

Simon....
Old 01-14-2003, 16:08   #3 (permalink)

Great post Simon! I test drove an XR6T manual but wanted an auto so I drove a Futura auto afterwards just to get the feel for it but I gues I was expecting too much after jumping out of a 240kw missile into a 182kw repmobile, so I was a bit dissapointed. The XR6T seemed to ride softer than the Futura even though it had the sports suspension and low profile (17s) tyres.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:47   #4 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
Great post Simon! I test drove an XR6T manual but wanted an auto so I drove a Futura auto afterwards just to get the feel for it but I gues I was expecting too much after jumping out of a 240kw missile into a 182kw repmobile, so I was a bit dissapointed. The XR6T seemed to ride softer than the Futura even though it had the sports suspension and low profile (17s) tyres.
Thanks for the 'great post', I tried. Wanna hear about my XR6T manual experience?

Let me sum it up in 3 words..... I'M BUYING ONE

Simon....
Old 01-15-2003, 05:59   #5 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Okay, this will be brief, as I hand over to the US in 10 minutes. I went to the other dealer this afternoon at 17:30 for a test drive. I got home at 20:00 (Funny, I didn't guess that this emoticon was doing 'that') Give an idea as to how successful it was?

Anyway, why so long? 'Cos I drove the manual, Narooma Blue, for about half an hour (almost wiping it out on a speedbump, how embarressing), did some "what will I have?" stuff, got mine valued ($30k, $5k more than the other lot, sheez and was what I was expecting) and got them to plug in some rough sums into their magic box.

Being with Ford Credit now, they just looked up the figures... They came back and said, yup, as you thought, you're maybe 12 months early. I said "Did you allow for the fact that I'm a rich bugga and earn more now and can afford to pay more per month?" Hmmmm.... Back to the magic box.

The outcome? For an around an extra $170 per month, I get a silver (liquid silver?) XR6T, with sunroof, premium sound, leather, stock 17's (they're nice enough for me) and stock brakes (proven to work at aforementioned speedbump). I may add the momo gear knob too. Still don't like the steering wheel! Do you reckon I could transfer my AUII momo? :s6:

We then talked semi-turkey, they'll drop the new price by a couple of $K, throw in tint, mats, scuff plates, mobile presenter and transfer of mobile car kit to sweeten the deal.

I also get a 3rd less of a balloon at the end.

What's the catch? Don't bloody know.... :)

More info on the exhilerating drive, including the damned speedbump (I was looking at the rev counter, okay) and other gory details tomorrow.

Oh, it's going to be a manual (assuming I go ahead, which is 99% definate)

Woohoo, can't get enough of this.

Simon.... (heading for a sleepless night)
Old 01-15-2003, 06:26   #6 (permalink)