Need help broke CV shaft on BA xr6t - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How to remove diff cv shaft from BA XR6 turbo
BA rear diff cv shaft need fixed 0 0%
BA rear diff how to fix 0 0%
Fix cv shaft in BA xr6 turbo 0 0%
Help broke cv shaft in BA xr6t 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46   #1 (permalink)

Need help broke CV shaft on BA xr6t

Hi all hope anyone can help I just bought myself an xr6 turbo and my foot got a little light on the clutch and a little heavy on the accelerator and alls I heard was a Big Bang and the whole rear end shuddered. Now I thought I had blown my diff but when I pulled my wheel off there's a lot of oil spray under the car from what looks like its coming from the cv shaft.
The problem is I've had a go at trying to pull the shaft out myself so I took the righthand side brake disc off and undone any bolts that held the hub on from the top and left anything it was bolted on the bottom to just so I could get some movement to pop the shaft out of the diff and I've taken the centre nut off of the hub but that's as far as I've got. I was told that the shaft was held on to the diff by a circlip or Allen key bolts which ever but I can't get the shaft spline out of the centre of the hub. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I haven't done or missed I have hit it fairly hard. Please I need someone's help urgently as I need the car back on the road. Also is there a stronger cv shaft I can buy as I don't want this to happen every time I get a rush of blood to my head or feet lol. Thanx
Need more HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 19:44   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Need help broke CV shaft on BA xr6t

Sounds a bit dodgy if there is oil around. I havnt removed one of these before but normally they are held in by a retainer circlip that requires a direct and quite forceful pull to unlock the clip. If you dont have it off already then I will research it more for you.

I'm sure there are stronger CV's available but that would put the pressure onto the next weakest link in the drivetrain and that may be more expensive to repair.

You must have given it a bootfull or your tyres must have good grip. Was there any axle tramp going on at the time it broke.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46   #3 (permalink)

Hi thanx for the reply I will admit I was taking off like an idiot but no there was no axle tramp it didn't even spin it was more like it had all loaded up and then the cv had let go no axle tramp no noise or warning just the a Big Bang then it shuddered and stopped it wouldn't even move I thought I had blown the diff but I can start the car and put it in gear and it will very slowly creep forward but if I put my foot on the accelerator it just makes an awful grinding type sound. So I towed it home took the back tire off and that's when I seem all the oil sprayed up underneath the car in a neat straight line on the car body right where the cv shaft is circlipped into the diff centre and its more of a spray of grease/oil.
The only thing I can think of as to why it won't drive at all is because the diff is placing all the load into the right hand side cv shaft that is broke thinking that its not getting any grip other than that I hate to mention it but it'll be the diff. I started trying to take it all appart but I got to the point where I've undone all the bolts around the top of the hub taken the disc brake off taken the centre nut off the centre of the hub but I haven't touched any of the bolts underneath behind the hub as I didn't want to go to far without some advice on the shaft and how to get it out and also the shaft seems to be stuck in the brake hub. So do I remove the whole lot and pull it out with the hub connected to it and bash it out while its out of the car or am I able to get the hub off the cv shaft without removing to much more.

Thankyou for your help
Regards
Andrew
Old 05-03-2013, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Sometimes you may need to apply a little heat to the rotor, I've also used a dead blow hammer. "Bash" is a horrible word, I prefer "mechanical agitation". Haven't dealt with an axle made after about 1985, but I'm going to assume that the bearings are still pressed into place, which means a torch may be needed to be applied with a fair amount of mechanical agitation.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47   #5 (permalink)

Sorry I'm not here to upset anyone I just need some information on how to fix my car I probably should have said I tried some gentle persuasion but i really did try to bash the crap out of it to get it moving and get it out. As far as I know there is no pressed bearings the brake hub is on the spline of the CV SHAFT which is the part that I'm trying to remove if you haven't looked at what I'm talking about its a little hard to explain. If I had to explain it to someone who hasn't seen one before just imaging a cv shaft from a front wheel drive and put it on a rear wheel drive that's the easiest way to put a picture in your head of what I'm trying to fix they are basically the same set up and I imagine they are fixed much in the same way.
But my problem is I can't get the cv shaft/spline out of the hub and I thought of putting a bit of heat to it but I'd much rather do that with it off the car that's why I asked how to get the shaft out of the diff and off the hub as I didn't want to make any mistake that could of cost me more than it already is going to. Lance has kind of already answered how to get it out of the diff thankyou to Lance I appreciate the help from anyone and everyone. I'm going to take the whole shaft and hub out now and I will take it to someone and get them to try and press it out if I have to. But first I will soak it overnight in something to see if I can penetrate into the spline to get it moving but I would like to ask with the traction control is it removed just like a brake line and do you clamp the line off just like a brake line. (FYI) For those who read this your probably thinking I was doing a burnout but contrary to what your thinking I can tell you I actually wasn't its kinda hard to do one in these cars when you have traction control on but some people will believe what they want to believe. That said thanx for the help once again.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 05-04-2013, 21:36   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Sorry, the comment on bashing was more of a joke. I've had to use a lot of heat and pullers at times to get them off. As far as the traction control, that should be just a speed sensor that will restrict how much throttle you can give it, as far as I know, it should be electrical.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:45   #7 (permalink)

I just want to say thankyou for all your help I have it all fixed it was the shaft of the back of the diff
Old 05-16-2013, 18:24   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Good to hear!
Old 05-16-2013, 22:32   #9 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Thanks for geting back. Sorry I didnt catch up and follow up with your other posts but it seems it wasnt the CV but the shaft?. That could explain the oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo