Ford Forums banner

Negative XR6T owner review

5K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  BADXR8UTE 
#1 ·
I was shown this owner review by a friend: http://www.carsurvey.org/review_39693.html

For those who don't know, Carsurvey.org is a site where owners of all kinds of cars can write up their experiences, good or bad.

What do you guys think? :ihi:

#3 ·
Sounds terrible and I feel for the guy. However, if this was a huge problem we would have heard about it by now. I think the extreme list of problems in his case would be one of few.
All of us XR6T owners will have to expect one or two teething problems - goes without saying when you buy the first series of a new model - when you seem to have all of the problems .... that is just bad luck.
I have been lucky and haven't had any problems but I have heard from others and read lists of numerous minor problems.
By the series 2 and 3 the car will have gotten rid of most of its hiccups - unfortunately it takes people like us to buy them and find the problems to start with!!

Hang in there - a good Ford dealer will help you through the bad times (if you happen to know one.............!!)

#4 ·
"5) Replaced head seals and new head."

i think that might be a big problem for the ba. I posted a few days ago about a guy at my dads work have this problem but thought it might be a one off. But since then in a few days ive heard of seven cases exactly like this happening.

#5 ·
even the owner doesn't think all BAs are bad.. he even says his is the bad apple.

I note he didn't say anything about the dealer... just gave them a 5/10. I agree that for $50K you would want more reliablility than that but at least if the dealer fixes it quickly and without a hassle that should make the whole experience a wee bit more palatable.

#7 ·
I like the 2000 XR8 review

"This car was so bad, Ford Australia gave us a new car - a Ford TE50. There have been no problems with this car. "

I think your right, 3 major faults in first year and they should offer some kind of compensation or replacement.

However concidering the changes performed on BA, its been remarkably easy first release. Doubling of the head components, VCT, alot of new stuff plus the interior. Hopefully series II is bank vault style solid.

Alot of the issue bought up maybe related:
-VCT problem cause by ECU programming fault
related to engine shutdown, running like a pig, possibly dammaging engine throttle, head seals etc, vibration etc.. Hence only on real problem that caused alot of symptoms.

Even the reviewer redemed ford by saying "But wait for the next series of the BA Falcon".. Theres still hope!

#8 ·
The first 7 issues the guy listed seem pretty common with BA XR6Ts, the rest not so common. He's just telling it like it is.

#9 ·
IPhido said:

I think your right, 3 major faults in first year and they should offer some kind of compensation or replacement.
Geez I wish this could have happened with me with my AUII XR6. I was ready to almost leave the keys in it and park it unlocked at a dealership. ;-)

No serious I was, but not at a dealership, just Footscray

#10 ·
With over 5000km on the clock, my "T" goes like clockwork...the only problem I have had is the AM reception and that, it seems is due to Dealer error in putting metalised film on the rear screen.

#11 ·
a bad apple ... a look the otherway during assembly .... things happen

I'm glad that the series I problems have only been so "small"

read somewhere that if you buy a series II then you only have a lttle time driving a new model car, buy a series I and you get the new car look as long as possible ... but you have to go through the teething problems...
doing just that has been a good experience for me and have enjoyed sharing that experience on places like fordforums ...

paint treatment peeling on the bonnet ... hmmmm ... no big deal
(heck ... it is the paint treatment ... not even the car)

a squeaking wheel gets the oil (and also gets all the attention)

cheers

#12 ·
Its an interesting read, but as with any new cars made here or anywhere really, you generally shouldnt buy the very first run of the model.... whether its a BA or a BMW.... it seems to take a bit of work to get everything running sweetly on the production line...

I am (un?)lucky enough to run up kilometres in all manner of company pool vehicles, mostly Falcons, and have found that of the 10 or so I have used, the EL was probably the better nailed together of the lot of them. There were problems with the AU's... getting stuck between Echuca and Bendigo for a few hours when the engine decided it would go on holidays wasnt an endearing experience in the middle of summer.

We all have our car war stories I guess, and its only the negative ones that seem to reach the surface.

When at PI for the Supercars a few weekends ago, I enjoyed the pleasure of the AWD Magna and fell in love... this thing was more powerful, handled better, loved the flick flick gearshift and had substantially more grip than my FWD version.... but I am scared of the technology aboard for a while till its totally nutted out with real life testing before I even thought about looking at buying one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.