New Motor edition - Hot Tuners - GO THE T5!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2004, 21:37   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

New Motor edition - Hot Tuners - GO THE T5!!!!

Just wondering if you guys have read the above? Interesting. In particular I thought I would quote two sections about the T5 in both the XR6 and T....

Page 40: "The Phase III test mule has completed more than 140 dyno runs and numerous quarter-miles, and had a thrashing with the press behind the wheel. With its 400kW (plus) of crankshaft power, the stock T5 XR6 Turbo transmission has stood up admirably. It has not been modified, apart from getting a fresh sump of high-quality gearbox oil. It's amazingly quiet, the synchros still work like new and the shift is positive and precise. The same praise can be heaped on the differential and axles, which have stood up to the torture without failure. The only part of the driveline that has required attention is the clutch. It was factory designed to be a weak link that slips as power increases. APS's solution is an up-rated Phase III-capable clutch and pressure plate assembly."

I agree with them (not that I have Phase III or a T for that matter) given that my clutch has been causing me problems.....

Also, at page 52, the guys are talking about who the CAPA kits are good for the autos which are not handling the power from other methods....

"Since the BA Falcon range was release, the factory has been warning the aftermarket about the dangers of putting too much stress on the driveline. Initially it was considered that the manual XR6 turbo, with its "glass" T5 transmission, would suffer at the hands of the tuners the most, with the auto soaking up the punishment. In reality, it worked in reverse. It seems the clutch packs inside the automatic transmissions are suffering most at the hands of the big torque loading at low revs in the boosted turbo cars. This is where the the CAPA kit has a distinct advantage......"As we bring the boost on gradually, we aren't shocking any of the auto components...."

GO THE T5!!!!!!!! (Auto anyone??? )
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138

Last edited by XRchic; 04-09-2004 at 03:44.
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004, 21:53   #2 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

Re: New Motor edition - Hot Tuners - GO THE T5!!!!

that sounds like good news! 400kw in front of a t5 would be new waters, as no one else would think they would hold it!
Old 04-08-2004, 22:17   #3 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

That is good to hear. Just over 3 weeks to go 'til i get my XR6T hopefully.

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:58   #4 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

I thought it was great news, since so many people have been telling me what a mistake it was to get the T5 as opposed to the auto (see my sig - no auto for me in THIS universe!) and no-one believed me when I was saying it was pretty good, that I had no trouble with it, etc..... HA!

Oh and Aeron, I bet you are really dying right now, with the wait and all, huh? It will be worth it, trust me - you are gonna be one happy dude on the day! I'm heaps jealous!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-09-2004, 04:07   #5 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
(see my sig - no auto for me in THIS universe!)
Hi XRchic, have you driven a BA auto in the manual mode its very good ?
...without a clutch..unlike any Auto i have Driven...

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:52   #6 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Hi XRchic, have you driven a BA auto in the manual mode its very good ?
...without a clutch..unlike any Auto i have Driven...
Hey XRFPV8 - I have driven mine (obviously) which is NA XR6 manual, also: NA XR6 auto, XT manual and auto (including wagons), XR6T manual and auto, XR8 manual and auto. I have driven them all quite a lot and I do agree with you to a point - in "manual mode" they are as good as an auto is gonna get. And much better than any competition (most of which I have also driven). So if you are up for an auto, then Ford is your best bet (unless you wanna go for some pricey but nice auto European stuff).

However, it is just a personal thing for people, that's all. I learned to drive at age 11 on a race track, in a million different kinds of manuals - didn't touch an auto until I had to pass my driving test in my Mum's auto Cortina. I think I was well and truly in love with manuals to the point of no return by then. My Mum and my secretary girlfriends drive autos (and can't drive manuals) and I aint them, that's for sure. Manual mode in autos is fine for those who like 'em - gimme a clutch any day (even a bad one like mine at the moment) and some real gear changing - maybe it brings back memories of fun times on tracks - times where an auto was laughed off the track....

I guess you have driven a manual T then? And a manual XR8? I hated the auto T - really hated it!!!! Put me off the T altogether until I was convinced to try the manual T - loved it, didn't wanna get out! The T and the 8 are awesome in manual - just my opinion tho.

Each to their own, right?
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-09-2004, 05:09   #7 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

hi xrchic, the manual mode on my BA XR8 auto (m97-019) is not like a normal auto doing a manual change, you can go up and down gears anytime, just like a manual it well not change no matter how hard it is revved until you whack it into the next gear much quicker than any manual change..i have attached a word document have a read if you like....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 05:21   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
hi xrchic, the manual mode on my BA XR8 auto (m97-019) is not like a normal auto doing a manual change, you can go up and down gears anytime, just like a manual it well not change no matter how hard it is revved until you whack it into the next gear much quicker than any manual change..i have attached a word document have a read if you like....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Hey! Yes, I read the doc and it was very interesting, I must say. I would be very curious to drive it - if it is that much different to the regular BA autos I have driven.... don't think I would get one tho - there is just something about clutches and Hs and sticks that I like, and I don't reckon I could face anyone who knows me, in an auto - people would think I had some kind of personality transplant

But I reckon I know a few people who would be interested in your doc, so I might get them to read it! And I won't knock it until I've driven it either! Thanks for the info!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 04-09-2004, 05:30   #9 (permalink)
Blue Blood

blah blah blah - its not kW which destory transmissions - its the amount of Torque they have to absorb during changes and brisk take offs at low speed. As long as you are gentle with it - a manual can behave - however I guarrantee I could make a T5 blow its load on a BA XR6 Turbo (unmodified) if I had my way with it.

They are all in the way they get treated. Oh an auto could probably work okay with a better trans cooler.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 05:40   #10 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcginley
blah blah blah - its not kW which destory transmissions - its the amount of Torque they have to absorb during changes and brisk take offs at low speed. As long as you are gentle with it - a manual can behave - however I guarrantee I could make a T5 blow its load on a BA XR6 Turbo (unmodified) if I had my way with it.

They are all in the way they get treated. Oh an auto could probably work okay with a better trans cooler.
Yes, you are correct, technically. But if you think about it - any car that has 400kW, it is safe to assume it has fairly decent torque - so it is kinda a given really, yeah? And just out of interest, the XR6T Phase III as tested in Motor (this edition and others) has an estimated torque of 700Nm at around 3000rpm.

Although, I agree, I reckon you could probably kill it with enough desire and force. But you could kill anything given a chance, right? I don't think these guys are particularly gentle with the T5 but then, they don't set out to smash it either - they are just saying it takes more than they ever thought it would....

The clutch is the problem though, it is designed that way. Good and bad I guess. Bad for me in that my clutch is likely gone, but good in that my gearbox is intact because of it.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo