New results on my T -Piggyback to EDIT 305rwkw - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 03:08   #1 (permalink)

New results on my T -Piggyback to EDIT 305rwkw

Well as a few of the Vic guys know, Phoenix (My T) has been on development camp over the past couple of weeks.

It will have come as a surprise to some people that were aware, I was removing the piggyback unit originally to return the car back to stock. I was doing this in order to have ford rectify some problems that I have had with the car for sometime. This meant that the car would have gone for engineering assessment to find out what was happening with the diff. Being that this has been an ongoing problem my best option was to return the car to stock, so Ford could not take the easy option of blaming my mods rather than assessing the actual issue at hand.

Anyway with that aside, Rob from Horse Power Factory (Amberley Autos) heard about some problems that I was experiencing with the factory PCM, that Ford had made attempts to fix but could not seem to rectify. With that he tested my car and asked me to give him the chance to learn the new software he had in which he believed would fix my problem.

With Horse Power Factory taking delivery of the new edit software it gave both Rob and myself the chance to benefit from my car being the first one to be tuned. Amberleys needed a guineepig car to trial and also build up some platform software, and I needed a solution to issues that Ford could not seem to rectify plus any additional benefits that this new software could provide for Phoenix.

Our goal was not to achieve outright peak power but more so to build ontop of the previous results I had achieved with my piggyback unit. This meant getting maximum power and torque through the whole range rather than just a peak power point at optimum revs.

The other goal was to make the car smoother in it's delivery and improve on fuel economy and remove the niggling factory PCM issues I had been having.

The work that HPF have done is amazing to say the least. A lot of members on the forum always make the quote that it does not matter what modded platform you are running "It's all about the tuner" and this could be no more from the truth.
I am very pedantic and a bit of a perfectionist, so it was refreshing to see when I turned up to see what was happening with Phoenix, Rob turned to me and said that "it's ready to go, but you cannot have it as I am not totally happy with the result yet", most customers would probably be not impressed but I quietly smiled as I had found someone that wanted to make sure I left with a car that was 100%.

My opinion in relation to custom tuning of the edit remains, and I know others do not agree, however my personal opinion is that what I have seen had to be done even from a base perspective, represents that if you are going to go to the trouble of spending $1295 odd bucks on an edit you must have it custom tuned. The variances in these cars are so that you just cannot afford to take risks for the long term.

The results from HPF speak for themselves. Leaving the existing a/f ratios and boost parameters, we just changed cam and timing settings got us an additional 20+rwkw. Overall as you will see from the comparison graphs posted below we have gained power across the whole range and as you will see the graph line is particularly smooth. This was partly achieved by taking out the restrictions that the factory pcm puts in when it retards the timing to compensate for over and above parameters.

The rest of the stuff is far too technical for me, but to say the custom tune has changed the car is an understatement. It's driveability around town is awesome, it is extremely smooth, yet power is on tap immediately.
As those who know me are aware I am a no bullsh*t type of guy, I am very impressed with the product, but I would stress my opinion of a custom tune.

I was not aiming for peak power but more beefier power across the range. My request was to not go over 300rwkw as I want to try to limit damage the the weakest link which is the gearbox. The car has dialed up over 310rwkw so anything is possible, we just sometimes have to put common sense in front of our passion for more power.

The work that has been done on Phoenix will be the starting point and benchmark for everyone else who has their work done through Amberley's, and from the results and the effort that has gone into Phoenix, you guys will only continue to better and benefit from my results.

As some were also aware we had stumbled across an issue with boost spiking due to aftermarket components and factory componenets combined, such as exhaust and Axuator. After a lot of follow up work by Martin and his crew we have seen this problem resolved with a form of duty cycle table. This problem would only exist for modded T’s without factory exhausts. However this is a direct representation of why Horse power factory and myself agreed to go down this development path, to ensure everything was ironed out before other customers came on board.

I know of 3 odd guys that are ready to go with HPF as soon as this testing was completed, so I will be interested to hear their results. The other guy who will use my final tune as a base platform, good luck I think you will see some very interesting gains achieved with the same settings you have now!

I have attached all the graphs so people can analyse and draw their own conclusions.

Time to get it down to Calder and hose some LS1's!!!!

Long live the power of the T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JB 8 march 2.JPG (39.7 KB, 326 views)
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2005, 03:44   #2 (permalink)
Weapon of HSV Destruction

Re: New results on my T -Piggyback to EDIT 305rwkw

Mate that is truly awesome!!

Pity Im still stuck here in Canberra without a custom edit tuner in the entire ACT!

Home of the Summernats and all!!!

The results you have shown here are great, best of luck smacking some holdens with your newly tuned weapon of mass destruction.

288rwkw
Go You Good Thing!!
Dannopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:13   #3 (permalink)

Great to hear HPF have finally got some good branded cars coming through the door, at last!!!!
Top work,i would love to know what sort of power threshhold these cars have though.
420RwKW??
Nice secretary as well there hey!
Are you going to the GT Nats this Easter at Ballarat??
Fordaus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:59   #4 (permalink)

ALl i can say is congrats to all involved and well done to the tuner, Helps when you have a great product that makes the job just that ALOT easier :)
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 14:56   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordaus01
Great to hear HPF have finally got some good branded cars coming through the door, at last!!!!
Top work,i would love to know what sort of power threshhold these cars have though.
420RwKW??

We are still trying to establish the threshold as Bruce in SA is running 395rwkw and I believe peter from APS is up near the 500 mark. There are several others aroun the mid 300's, but from a personal perspective I am happy with where I am at now. I suppose I come to the conclusion, nomatter how much power you have, someone else has more......

I suppose the T's will go through the development process like the VL's did, we have to remember that this car is really only a couple of years old and still has much more development to come.

Nats as easter? I was not aware Ballarat ahd them as I actually work in Ballarat, live in melb.
At this stage I will probably be going to the easter nats at Sandown.
Old 03-24-2005, 18:41   #6 (permalink)

Awesome!!
BATRB-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 22:57   #7 (permalink)
OFR No.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordaus01
420RwKW??
My cars been tuned by HPF for 18 months now. Quite a few of the "T" guys use HPF. I think now they have the edit and are doing custom tunes Fords might soon out number the "other" brand there.
They also have an XR8 ute they have for developmental purposes. With edit only the ute has run a 13.8. I think it's mnaual and the driver (Danny) was having his first time at the drags.

RIP BOOF 28/02/03-20/08/04 12.24@115.38mph
.....HPF.....
geea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 18:18   #8 (permalink)

sweet
barthez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo