New XR6T running rich - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 18:36   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
New XR6T running rich

I have just under 1000 kms on my XR6T, and I have noticed a large amount of black dust-like material on the back of the car each time I wash it (2 times, so far).

Up to this point, the car has not been driven off bitumen, or on a wet road. This black dust appears to be most concentrated near the exhaust. This makes me think it is coming from the exhaust.

From what knowledge I have, I believe this type of deposit can indicate that the car is running too rich.

I have searched the forums and found a few references to a rich mixtures on XR6/8/6Ts. but nothing definitive.

It would not surprise me if new XR6Ts were deliberately setup at the factory too run rich, to protect the engine during the run-in period.

Does the black dust probably indicate a too-rich mixture ?

Any experience with this being common with XR6Ts, and if so, is it corrected at the first service ?
__________________
March 2004 BA XR6 TURBO Mercury Silver, SSS Auto, 18" Wheels, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, added lamps to those little courtesy light holders in the footwells that Ford thought we wouldn't notice, and a big grin.
DavidL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-04-2004, 23:41   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: riddells creek, vic
Posts: 127
Re: New XR6T running rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL
I have just under 1000 kms on my XR6T, and I have noticed a large amount of black dust-like material on the back of the car each time I wash it (2 times, so far).

Up to this point, the car has not been driven off bitumen, or on a wet road. This black dust appears to be most concentrated near the exhaust. This makes me think it is coming from the exhaust.

From what knowledge I have, I believe this type of deposit can indicate that the car is running too rich.

I have searched the forums and found a few references to a rich mixtures on XR6/8/6Ts. but nothing definitive.

It would not surprise me if new XR6Ts were deliberately setup at the factory too run rich, to protect the engine during the run-in period.

Does the black dust probably indicate a too-rich mixture ?

Any experience with this being common with XR6Ts, and if so, is it corrected at the first service ?


I think you'll find it may be fuel related, ie what type of fuel have you been using.

this has been mentioned on another forum if your interested pm me..


cheers andrew
RST2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 00:11   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
Re: New XR6T running rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST2000
I think you'll find it may be fuel related, ie what type of fuel have you been using.

this has been mentioned on another forum if your interested pm me..


cheers andrew
I have been using Shell Optimax.
__________________
March 2004 BA XR6 TURBO Mercury Silver, SSS Auto, 18" Wheels, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, added lamps to those little courtesy light holders in the footwells that Ford thought we wouldn't notice, and a big grin.
DavidL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:27   #4 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor
 
XRchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Adelaide
Age: 42
Posts: 1,700
Re: New XR6T running rich

I recently had a unichip installed in my NA XR6. Part of the process was a pre and post dyno. They checked the air/fuel ratios as a standard part of it, since they tune the car to optimum fuel efficiency. I was told that all cars, namely Fords, come out of the factory running rich - partly because the engines are all different and are not tuned individually for optimum fuel usage and also because it is safer to run them richer for warranty purposes, on the assumption that not all owners are going to drive well or look after their cars and that running them leaner can cause burning....

Some of the BAs are apparently worse than others in this regard - mine was pretty bad. Once the chip was installed and the a/f ratio fixed, it was much better - economy and performance. You could just have it run on a dyno to check the a/f ratios.....

Your black residue would be likely due to a rich mixture - I would get it checked if I were you. And perhaps forget Optimax - its crap. Its also only 95 ron - plenty of people have trouble with it - try Mobil Synergy 8000 or BP Ultimate (both are 98 ron I think) - the guys who did my chip recommended the BP and confirmed my opinions on the Shell rubbish.

Hope this helps!
__________________
2003 BA NA XR6, Silhouette, manual, sunroof, premium audio, alarm, window tint, scuff plates, Navman (in TIMEOUT (tm))
JMM DEV3 BA kit
Unichip
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:33   #5 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: geelong
Posts: 1,500
Re: New XR6T running rich

My XR8 gets the same black dust over the back of it and I thought it might be cause its running rich too but the exhaust tips are pretty clean. I figured if it was rich the tips would be black.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:36   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
Re: New XR6T running rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I recently had a unichip installed in my NA XR6. Part of the process was a pre and post dyno. They checked the air/fuel ratios as a standard part of it, since they tune the car to optimum fuel efficiency. I was told that all cars, namely Fords, come out of the factory running rich - partly because the engines are all different and are not tuned individually for optimum fuel usage and also because it is safer to run them richer for warranty purposes, on the assumption that not all owners are going to drive well or look after their cars and that running them leaner can cause burning....

Some of the BAs are apparently worse than others in this regard - mine was pretty bad. Once the chip was installed and the a/f ratio fixed, it was much better - economy and performance. You could just have it run on a dyno to check the a/f ratios.....

Your black residue would be likely due to a rich mixture - I would get it checked if I were you.
I have 2000 km s to go to the 3000 km service. I'll raise it with them then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
And perhaps forget Optimax - its crap. Its also only 95 ron - plenty of people have trouble with it - try Mobil Synergy 8000 or BP Ultimate (both are 98 ron I think) - the guys who did my chip recommended the BP and confirmed my opinions on the Shell rubbish.

Hope this helps!
Thanks XRchic. I mainly use Optimax because there is a Shell just down the road. I'll try the others though. Thanks again.
__________________
March 2004 BA XR6 TURBO Mercury Silver, SSS Auto, 18" Wheels, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, added lamps to those little courtesy light holders in the footwells that Ford thought we wouldn't notice, and a big grin.
DavidL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:39   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 17
Re: New XR6T running rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxr8
My XR8 gets the same black dust over the back of it and I thought it might be cause its running rich too but the exhaust tips are pretty clean. I figured if it was rich the tips would be black.
My exhaust tip is also fairly clean, but the black dust is most heavily concentrated on the bodywork near the exhaust. If not, I would have said it was brake dust.
__________________
March 2004 BA XR6 TURBO Mercury Silver, SSS Auto, 18" Wheels, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, added lamps to those little courtesy light holders in the footwells that Ford thought we wouldn't notice, and a big grin.
DavidL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 05:49   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 37
Re: New XR6T running rich

Some corrections are needed. Shell Optimax is 98 RON, the same as Synergy 8000. Actually it come from the same refinery.

I have been running my XR6T solely on Optimax and have around 2000 klm on the car now. I have NOT experienced any black residue around the exaust area. Perhaps it is the mixture but don't blame the Optimax.

Where I live the Optimax is around 4 cents per litre cheaper than the Synergy also.
__________________
02/2004, XR6 Turbo, Mercury Silver
cthor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 17:07   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 179
Re: New XR6T running rich

I get the same black dust on the back of my new XR6T (Feb 2004 build). I've got around 1100km at the moment.
There seems to be quite a bit around the chrome exhaust tip, and just inside the exhaust, as well as around the edges of the rear bumper. DOnt get me wrong, its not that bad - you cannot physically see it against the silver (lightning strike) unless you run your finger on the bumper bar for 2-3 inches - after which you get a build up of black dust - and its not just brown road dust definitely from the exhaust.

I also use only Shell Optimax (up to last weekend), after which I have tried BP's Ultimate (Premium 98RON). I'll let you know how it goes, but I doubt it has anything to with the fuel - likely that the engine is running rich. Currently averaging around 15-16litres/100km, and most of my driving has been driving very gently - with the occasional burst. I understand that you burn more in the first 10,000km (during the break-in period), so I'm not worried about this.

Does anyone know if the computer is reprogrammed at any particular service (ie...3000 or 15000km) to fix this ? or does it remain this way ?
Or is the computer designed to automatically reduce the mixture after a certain number of kilometres ?

I wish Ford would was a little more honest and informed its customers a bit better about this stuff. It would also probably stop queries like mine which I am about to make.
__________________
Sand Dune - V6 Escape Limited

Last edited by JamesA; 04-05-2004 at 17:14.
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 21:36   #10 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor
 
XRchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Adelaide
Age: 42
Posts: 1,700
Re: New XR6T running rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthor57
Some corrections are needed. Shell Optimax is 98 RON, the same as Synergy 8000. Actually it come from the same refinery.

I have been running my XR6T solely on Optimax and have around 2000 klm on the car now. I have NOT experienced any black residue around the exaust area. Perhaps it is the mixture but don't blame the Optimax.

Where I live the Optimax is around 4 cents per litre cheaper than the Synergy also.
Yes, corrections needed. Optimax is minimum 96 ron guaranteed and UP TO 98 ron. Ultimate is minimum 98 ron guaranteed. Coming from the same refinery means nothing, it is the additives that change it.

No, I never said that the black around the exhaust was as a result of using Optimax - just commented that he might wanna change. Optimax varies too much in quality and I know plenty who won't use it. Have a friend with a Nissan 200SX Turbo and another with a Monaro who have both used Optimax - both had all kinds of trouble with it, pinging etc. I then asked they guys at Blackwood Dyno when they did my chip - they said avoid Optimax at all costs - go for the Mobil or the BP - better performance and economy from Ultimate.

Oh and in case you are in any doubt, do a search on net for Shell Optimax and see some other forums and the opinions there - generally consistently that Optimax is crap. In fact, there has been discussion about it on this site and it has even been called Opticrap!

Maybe I'll start a new thread....
__________________
2003 BA NA XR6, Silhouette, manual, sunroof, premium audio, alarm, window tint, scuff plates, Navman (in TIMEOUT (tm))
JMM DEV3 BA kit
Unichip
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running very rich juarez General Tech 4 10-21-2003 23:08
AU 5.0 running rich fairlane500 Windsor Tech 2 07-12-2003 00:53
ea cfi running rich ? rabbi General Tech 3 05-25-2003 22:26
EF V8 running very rich honer General Tech 7 04-04-2003 13:59
running rich ncspeed Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum 25 12-25-2001 19:07

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:51.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.