P Platers with XR6T? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 02:35   #1 (permalink)

P Platers with XR6T?

just wondering if there are any p platers out there who own an XR6T? I know you are not allowed to drive them while on your P's but i have seen a few around and even XR8's with P plates on and i wanted information on how you get away with rego and insurance and even police hassles?
Orange XR6ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 03:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: P Platers with XR6T?

Well, answer is, you don't.

My 20 year old brother has only driven my car when I'm in it. This doesn't mean insurance will pay for it if it gets pranged and he is driving, but it means that I can have some input into how he drives it!

August 2003 Venom XR6 Turbo. T5, Leather, Premium Sound, 18" ROH Azzurro (T3 TE50) rims and various useless dealer options.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:17   #3 (permalink)
The new one is here...

What a load of crap! I'd rather have a P plater blast down the road in an XR6T than an old Cortina with a 250...

EL2 XR8, White, Auto, Completely stock and the best looking Falcon ever built...
Citric XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:20   #4 (permalink)
.au member

what makes you think you cant drive one on your P's? Shit, Ive driven god knows how many XR8's, XR6's and Ts, and i have never had any issues from cops or anyone at all.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:58   #5 (permalink)

P plates can't legally drive a XR6T or an XR8 due to the power weight ratio. The police may not notice but the insurance company will.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:14   #6 (permalink)
Now driving an XF Falcon.

Thumbs down Re: P Platers with XR6T?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange XR6ute
just wondering if there are any p platers out there who own an XR6T? I know you are not allowed to drive them while on your P's but i have seen a few around and even XR8's with P plates on and i wanted information on how you get away with rego and insurance and even police hassles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
Well, answer is, you don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
What a load of crap! I'd rather have a P plater blast down the road in an XR6T than an old Cortina with a 250...
From the VicRoads web site:

Quote:
Probationary driver licence holders must not drive high powered vehicles. A high powered vehicle is any vehicle with a power to weight ratio over 125 kw per tonne, or with an engine capacity to weight ratio over 3.5 litres per tonne.

Capacity to weight ratio is the capacity in litres divided by the weight in tonnes. Power to weight ratio is the power in kw divided by the weight in tonnes. In doing calculations, weight is specified in tonnes (1000kg = 1 tonne); capacity is specified in litres (1000ml = 1 litre); power is specified in kilowatts (kw) and is as measured at the engine flywheel.

The weight of a vehicle is the unladen mass specified by the manufacturer for the stock-standard vehicle (without options). Since 1988, this weight is specified on vehicle data sheets, as published by the Commonwealth Department of Transport and Regional Services. Vehicle manufacturers provide the information used to prepare the data sheets.

The file attached below contains a guide to vehicles that are classed as high powered motor vehicles. The Guide only covers standard vehicles that have been made in Australia, or imported in bulk, since 1970. It does not include all high powered motor vehicles. If you are concerned that a model not included may be a high powered motor vehicle, then you may be able to get engine power and vehicle weight information from the manufacturer.

If your car is modified, you may also need to obtain an engineer's certificate and do your own calculations. You are also required to notify VicRoads of any significant modification. Penalties for not doing so are severe.

If you are a probationary licence holder, it is your responsibility to make sure any vehicle that you drive is not a high powered motor vehicle. The penalties for driving a high powered motor vehicle include a heavy fine, and may result in licence suspension.
Included in the list of cars are:
  • Ford GT HO XW Sedan 5.8L 224 KW (No real suprise there)
  • Ford Cortina TC/TD Sedan 4.1L 116 KW (And who hasn't seen a TD Cortina with 4.1 badges and P plates?!?)
  • Ford Sierra RS Cosworth Hatch Back 1.993L 150 KW (Ok, so it has a turbo, but still, it is a 4 cylinder!)
  • Ford Passenger car BA Falcon Sedan 4.0L 220 KW (BA Turbo)
  • Ford Passenger car BA Falcon Sedan 5.4L 220 KW (BA V8)
So, at least here in Victoria, there are many cars being driven by P platers that shouldn't be...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:22   #7 (permalink)
is FORD....is GOOD!

I dirve an BA XR8 on my P's and let me say if you get pulled over for any reason by normal traffic police you should be fine, just put the P plates in places they cant really see them (upper hand corners of front/rear windows) But if a TOG'gy or a TMU as they are called now pulls you over, you bet his gonna get ya for it!!!!!

the power to weight restriction is 125kw / tonne

max power for XR6t car weight = 212.5 therefore 28kw over limit
max power for XR8 car weight = 225.0 therefore 35kw over limit

Anyways, just be careful on the road, the truth is i had a VL turbo, ran an 11.22 down the 1/4 and technically that was legal to drive by car specs, however what these authorities dont understand is these cars are alot safer, but at the same time.....alot more fun :D

enjoy and dont worry about it

- kodar
Old 07-13-2004, 06:24   #8 (permalink)
is FORD....is GOOD!

ignore my post i was too slow haha
Old 07-13-2004, 06:29   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSOVR - XR8
I dirve an BA XR8 on my P's and let me say if you get pulled over for any reason by normal traffic police you should be fine, just put the P plates in places they cant really see them (upper hand corners of front/rear windows) But if a TOG'gy or a TMU as they are called now pulls you over, you bet his gonna get ya for it!!!!!

the power to weight restriction is 125kw / tonne

max power for XR6t = 212.5 therefore 28kw over limit
max power for XR8 = 225.0 therefore 35kw over limit

Anyways, just be careful on the road, the truth is i had a VL turbo, ran an 11.22 down the 1/4 and technically that was legal to drive by car specs, however what these authorities dont understand is these cars are alot safer, but at the same time.....alot more fun :D

enjoy and dont worry about it

- kodar

The TOG/TMU are the traffic police. You may be confusing "traffic police" with general duties police. Hiding your P-Plates behind the window tinting will also earn you a ticket for failing to display P-Plates. They must be clearly visible from a distance of 20 metres. Police will look at your licence when you are pulled over, if the line at the top is red, they want to see the "Ps" up.

Citric XR6, we live a democrocy, if you feel the need to tell us all that the current laws in regards to power-to-weightratios for P-Platers are inappropriate, do what any of us have to do to register our disagrence with a law, write to your local state MP. That's one of the reasons he's paid the big bucks.

Perhaps P-Platers should be given BMW M5s to drive, now they're even safer than a Flacon! (only poling fun! )

August 2003 Venom XR6 Turbo. T5, Leather, Premium Sound, 18" ROH Azzurro (T3 TE50) rims and various useless dealer options.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
Go Nuts in Your Falcon

Or just come and live in Queensland, the only restriction on P Platers and Learner drivers here is the zero alcohol consumption. Also note we dont' have to display any L or P plates either. How cool is Queensland? Instead of it being called the Smart state (or the sunshine state) it should be called the relaxed state.

Paul
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo