polished intercooler? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2005, 12:29   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
4LTURBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide
Age: 29
Posts: 45
polished intercooler?

Hey guys, i have an XR6T, and i wanna get the stock front mount polished, im just wondering how you go about taking it off, i havent really looked yet lol, but i would think the front bar would have to be removed? can the front mount be removed without taking off the front bar? also, any ideas on cost for polishing? thanks in advance...
4LTURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2005, 15:22   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator
 
CDAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Australia
Age: 44
Posts: 2,202
Re: polished intercooler?

I would think it would be a better option to take off the original unit and replace it with an aftermarket polished version or one for an F6. Not sure of the cost so don't quote me on that!
__________________
Design for every step. www.cdaa.com.au

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 15:27   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
F6_FPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canberra
Posts: 35
Re: polished intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
I would think it would be a better option to take off the original unit and replace it with an aftermarket polished version or one for an F6. Not sure of the cost so don't quote me on that!

I agree totally, go the aftermarket or F6 intercooler in the polished finish.
__________________
F6 TYPHOON No 0080
Vixen Red, Tinted Glass, Sure Shift, Sunroof and Xtreme EDIT.... 273rwkw.
F6_FPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Beastmaster
 
flappist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hervey Bay QLD
Age: 55
Posts: 940
Re: polished intercooler?

AH guys, an intercooler is a device that is used to reduce the temperature of the induced air after compression by the impeller.
It does this by thermal conduction and radiation.
Making it shiny will reduce its efficency markedly.
Paint it matt black, it will work LOTS better.

Of course shiny ones do look better with neons and giant rear wings if that is your goal.
__________________
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 16:06   #5 (permalink)
aps
Registered User
 
aps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 810
Re: polished intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
AH guys, an intercooler is a device that is used to reduce the temperature of the induced air after compression by the impeller.
It does this by thermal conduction and radiation.
Making it shiny will reduce its efficency markedly.
Paint it matt black, it will work LOTS better.

Of course shiny ones do look better with neons and giant rear wings if that is your goal.
Nice post, you are spot on though.

Peter
aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 21:42   #6 (permalink)
FF Moderator
 
CDAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Australia
Age: 44
Posts: 2,202
Re: polished intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
AH guys, an intercooler is a device that is used to reduce the temperature of the induced air after compression by the impeller.
It does this by thermal conduction and radiation.
Making it shiny will reduce its efficency markedly.
Paint it matt black, it will work LOTS better.

Of course shiny ones do look better with neons and giant rear wings if that is your goal.
Everybody hates a Smart Arse



Good point but. I guess it's a matter of if you're chasing tenth's or not as well. How about matt silver as a compromise hey?..lol
__________________
Design for every step. www.cdaa.com.au

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 00:41   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
KNG-40L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 223
Re: polished intercooler?

Or how about painting it pink cause it seems thats what alot of guys are doing to there cars these days LOL!!
__________________
96 EF Falcon GLI 4.0L, 4spd Automatic, Pacemakers Extractors, 2½ Redback Exhaust, K & N Filter, K-MAC Springs, GT Gas Shocks And System
Dubbed The KNG!
CAUSING PANIC IN MY AUTOMATIC
KNG-40L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:11   #8 (permalink)
wasting money on cars
 
dicast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: should be working on the car
Age: 37
Posts: 611
Re: polished intercooler?

yes but the under bonnet heat that the turbos generate would it realy matter if your intercooler was black or silver?try touching the piping in the engine bay after a drive
dicast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 22:31   #9 (permalink)
Beastmaster
 
flappist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hervey Bay QLD
Age: 55
Posts: 940
Re: polished intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Everybody hates a Smart Arse



Good point but. I guess it's a matter of if you're chasing tenth's or not as well. How about matt silver as a compromise hey?..lol
Thanks Collville....

Black is black because it does not reflect light, it absorbs it. Due to the theory of electromagnetic reciprosity (light and infared radiation are electromagnetic radiation) matter emits at an equal rate to absorbsion. This is the same theory upon which radio antenna design is based.

Therefore the shinier something is, the less efficient it is at radiating.
This gets a little more complex as something that is very "shiny" at visible light frequencys may be "matt black" at infared frequencies.
Unfortunately as you cannot see IR you can't tell easily whether the surface compound used is better or worse than bare metal.

I realise this is a bit propeller head but this is how it works.
__________________
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 23:53   #10 (permalink)
FF Moderator
 
CDAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Australia
Age: 44
Posts: 2,202
Re: polished intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Thanks Collville....

Black is black because it does not reflect light, it absorbs it. Due to the theory of electromagnetic reciprosity (light and infared radiation are electromagnetic radiation) matter emits at an equal rate to absorbsion. This is the same theory upon which radio antenna design is based.

Therefore the shinier something is, the less efficient it is at radiating.
This gets a little more complex as something that is very "shiny" at visible light frequencys may be "matt black" at infared frequencies.
Unfortunately as you cannot see IR you can't tell easily whether the surface compound used is better or worse than bare metal.

I realise this is a bit propeller head but this is how it works.
Excellent explaination and many thanks for taking the time to post it.
__________________
Design for every step. www.cdaa.com.au

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intercooler Water Spray boss351c Superchargers | Turbos | N2O 15 12-29-2004 14:15
Intercooler Cores boss351c Superchargers | Turbos | N2O 6 12-21-2004 23:16
Help on turbo project (long) Supa R00 Superchargers | Turbos | N2O 34 01-29-2004 04:08
Keeping polished rims polished... b-juggles Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 5 08-07-2003 03:25

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:25.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.