Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 03:15   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tatura
Posts: 54
Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

I raced motocross for 15 years before i got too old, sold my race bike and started getting into my XRT.
Dad and I always re-jetted our carbs to run on high-octane race fuels (ELF / VP C-12) for super crisp throttle response/superb engine protection and a significant horsepower increase.

Even when a ban on leaded fuels was enforced in 2000, MX bikes were and are still able to produce decent power on lower octane unleaded's such as ELF BFK-09 (98 Octane Low Emission Motorsport Fuel)

What I'm asking is....do good race fuels help with Kw and drag times in a modern EFI engine like the XRT's or are they an expensive waste of time?

I also understand that I have a 'race-fuel' tune to use with my Ford Flasher....what fuels are suggested?

I know that fuel like Mobil Synergy and Caltex Vortex premium unleaded are the best quality stuff you can get from a servo,

but it's shite compared to the surplus, fresh race fuel I still have stored here and don't wanna put it to waste. I'd only be running it at the drags...and the stuff i have is Unleaded and EPA legal.


Can't seem to get a clear response on this one...Suggestions?
__________________
XR6T - CAPA Ford Flasher - K&N HF Filter - Turbosmart BOV - still building!
VenomXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 06:57   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Xtreme F6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sideways In the F6
Age: 41
Posts: 2,370
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomXRT
I raced motocross for 15 years before i got too old, sold my race bike and started getting into my XRT.
Dad and I always re-jetted our carbs to run on high-octane race fuels (ELF / VP C-12) for super crisp throttle response/superb engine protection and a significant horsepower increase.

Even when a ban on leaded fuels was enforced in 2000, MX bikes were and are still able to produce decent power on lower octane unleaded's such as ELF BFK-09 (98 Octane Low Emission Motorsport Fuel)

What I'm asking is....do good race fuels help with Kw and drag times in a modern EFI engine like the XRT's or are they an expensive waste of time?

I also understand that I have a 'race-fuel' tune to use with my Ford Flasher....what fuels are suggested?

I know that fuel like Mobil Synergy and Caltex Vortex premium unleaded are the best quality stuff you can get from a servo,

but it's shite compared to the surplus, fresh race fuel I still have stored here and don't wanna put it to waste. I'd only be running it at the drags...and the stuff i have is Unleaded and EPA legal.


Can't seem to get a clear response on this one...Suggestions?
You pose a very valid question mate and ill give you just my own opinion, not gospil, just what i believe.

If you want to get the apsolute MAX out of the T then a race fuel would help in the sence you could utilise a little more timing, if the car was stock or only mild mods and you wernt going to retune it for the higher Octane fuel it would be of no real benifit if it wasnt pinging on the pump fuel.

If you wanted to squeeze a little more boost and timing then the race fuel would be for you.

I love SUNOCO race fuels, i good freind of mine advised me of the quailty of this product and has alot of good things to say about it. Hope that helps
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:05   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tatura
Posts: 54
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

Thanks GTP.
I actually had a crack at trying the fuel (ELF BFK-09) as it was listed on the ELF racing website as compatible with auto/motorcycle and aircraft engines with stock and mildly modified motors.

Sounded safe....so I asked a farmer up the road if i could use his paved airstrip to test the car. He was more than happy to let me use it and watched for the whole hour from his four wheeler as I hammered the shit out of my car. (Thanks Allan!)
We measured a 300m area and marked it with a reflector post. Unfortunately there was a severe dip at the end of the strip that made slowing down a pain in the arse and scary....(i have no brake upgrades just yet) so we had to make it 300m max.

I did four passes on Caltex Vortex from the pump until my distance clock was down to about 25km.

Result: She worked as well as always...but to be honest...seemed a bit chattery up front.
Pinging was really mild....but still there. BOV response was as normal...a loud sneeze.

We then pumped the ELF from a 44gallon drum into the 'T' til she was up to about 240km worth of travel on the d/timer. This was to ensure that most of the remaining Vortex was diluted.
The engine note was softer and smoother....and my car did not miss a beat. The temp gauge was also noticebly down (1/2 a bar).
Absolutely no pinging and smooth as a babies ass. BOV was much stronger in 'whoosh.'

Only shitter was...we had no timer other than a cheap digital kids watch we found on the four wheeler's hangers...that did timing in seconds so...here's how we fared over our homemade 300m pass:

Vortex: 10.41sec over 300m - if you work it out...at a 400m pass my car would do an average of 13.88sec. Not that great, but it is not the wildest of XRT's (see signature for mods)

Elf: 9.73sec - Now here's where it gets cool. Over 400m...my car would now run 12.98secs.
There was a slight tailwind (SSE) and temps were a chilly 15 degrees. But all in all, I think the results speak for themselves.
I cant wait to see what numbers appear on the dyno running the fuel with the right tune and a bigger cooler.
__________________
XR6T - CAPA Ford Flasher - K&N HF Filter - Turbosmart BOV - still building!
VenomXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:23   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 24
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomXRT
Thanks GTP.
I actually had a crack at trying the fuel (ELF BFK-09) as it was listed on the ELF racing website as compatible with auto/motorcycle and aircraft engines with stock and mildly modified motors.

Sounded safe....so I asked a farmer up the road if i could use his paved airstrip to test the car. He was more than happy to let me use it and watched for the whole hour from his four wheeler as I hammered the shit out of my car. (Thanks Allan!)
We measured a 300m area and marked it with a reflector post. Unfortunately there was a severe dip at the end of the strip that made slowing down a pain in the arse and scary....(i have no brake upgrades just yet) so we had to make it 300m max.

I did four passes on Caltex Vortex from the pump until my distance clock was down to about 25km.

Result: She worked as well as always...but to be honest...seemed a bit chattery up front.
Pinging was really mild....but still there. BOV response was as normal...a loud sneeze.

We then pumped the ELF from a 44gallon drum into the 'T' til she was up to about 240km worth of travel on the d/timer. This was to ensure that most of the remaining Vortex was diluted.
The engine note was softer and smoother....and my car did not miss a beat. The temp gauge was also noticebly down (1/2 a bar).
Absolutely no pinging and smooth as a babies ass. BOV was much stronger in 'whoosh.'

Only shitter was...we had no timer other than a cheap digital kids watch we found on the four wheeler's hangers...that did timing in seconds so...here's how we fared over our homemade 300m pass:

Vortex: 10.41sec over 300m - if you work it out...at a 400m pass my car would do an average of 13.88sec. Not that great, but it is not the wildest of XRT's (see signature for mods)

Elf: 9.73sec - Now here's where it gets cool. Over 400m...my car would now run 12.98secs.
There was a slight tailwind (SSE) and temps were a chilly 15 degrees. But all in all, I think the results speak for themselves.
I cant wait to see what numbers appear on the dyno running the fuel with the right tune and a bigger cooler.

Save your cash on a STD T .
I had the car dynoed using Mobile 98 201 kw ( less than 10lt in the tank)

then put in 20 lt of ET102 and got 203 kw with 1/2 lb less boost
Dam the factory ECU.
Rob
the
rboksic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:15   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tatura
Posts: 54
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

You are right in the long run....but it was unusual for you to lose boost with a higher RON....i'm guessing the factory computer may have rested on the fact that it's Barra was drinking good crispy fuel...haha who knows....mine ran cooler and smoother. The CAPA Tuner would have been the thing that helped me.

Hey...y'know...i chill out on a good drink too...haha
__________________
XR6T - CAPA Ford Flasher - K&N HF Filter - Turbosmart BOV - still building!
VenomXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:58   #6 (permalink)
OFR No.33
 
geea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: melbourne
Age: 49
Posts: 201
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

I have many maps for my car. I have a 270rwkw map and a 310rwkw map that both use 98ron unleaded. I also have a 330rwkw map that uses 98ron plus an octane booster. I have recently had the car tuned to C16 race fuel. We dropped the exhaust to save the cat and got to 385rwkw's through more timing and a little more boost. This tune ran 10.87 with a faster time still to come i believe.
Going from my own experience if you have race fuel and get the "T" tuned to it the car will be alot more powerful.
__________________
RUMBLE 358.7rwkw's
10.688@128.28

RIP BOOF 28/02/03-20/08/04 12.24@115.38mph
.....HPF.....
geea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 20:15   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 104
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

It's a pity race fuel isn't $1.20 at the pump...
__________________
XR6T Phantom, 4sp SSS Auto, Unichip, Phase III, 345RWKW 900NM, Autotech Engineering Tuned
Geeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 00:08   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tatura
Posts: 54
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

Holy shite...does that oficially make GEEA-33 the fastest privately-owned XRT in the country.
high 10's?? Dude that's so impressive. Gotta love the Phase 3!

I heard C-16 was a good fuel...is it oxygenated though? I remember C-12 and most of VP's stuff was leaded and oxygenated back in the day (late 90's when i was using it)
(Haha...had to mix up C-12 with a mask. VP fuel smells good doesn't it?)

I'm guessing i had the slight gains because of the Flasher...and that the fuel I was running was ELF 98 RON...probably perfect for the current tune I have (CAPA preset)

Well done with your car bud.

and yeah...shame race fuel isn't $1.20 a litre!!
We'd all be guzzling it!
__________________
XR6T - CAPA Ford Flasher - K&N HF Filter - Turbosmart BOV - still building!
VenomXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:03   #9 (permalink)
OFR No.33
 
geea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: melbourne
Age: 49
Posts: 201
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomXRT
Holy shite...does that oficially make GEEA-33 the fastest privately-owned XRT in the country.
high 10's?? Dude that's so impressive. Gotta love the Phase 3!

I heard C-16 was a good fuel...is it oxygenated though? I remember C-12 and most of VP's stuff was leaded and oxygenated back in the day (late 90's when i was using it)
(Haha...had to mix up C-12 with a mask. VP fuel smells good doesn't it?)

I'm guessing i had the slight gains because of the Flasher...and that the fuel I was running was ELF 98 RON...probably perfect for the current tune I have (CAPA preset)

Well done with your car bud.

and yeah...shame race fuel isn't $1.20 a litre!!
We'd all be guzzling it!
I believe i have the fastest BA Ford in Australia. It's not an APS phase3 either. My car has been built by HPF in Dandenong. The only APS part on my car is the intercooler. It runs the Ford Edit. Most of the pipework has been custom done by HPF.
Below is some burnout footage from Calder.
Video Here
__________________
RUMBLE 358.7rwkw's
10.688@128.28

RIP BOOF 28/02/03-20/08/04 12.24@115.38mph
.....HPF.....
geea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:31   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tatura
Posts: 54
Re: Race fuels - Does the XRT benefit on the strip and Dyno?

Oh man what can I say....well done Geea. Footage was awesome...

That must have been pretty shocking when u discovered the tram-line thing with your silver XRT!!! Slice and a half! (read the article!)

Also...upon a closer look...yeah its not an APS kit at all.
Sorry Geea my bad.

Did the Yowies give you any extra Kw? haha....they must be doing something!!!

Your kids must be super proud of dad...
__________________
XR6T - CAPA Ford Flasher - K&N HF Filter - Turbosmart BOV - still building!
VenomXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:13.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.