Red Hot Turbo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2005, 16:50   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 14
Exclamation Red Hot Turbo

Does any ones turbo glow red hot at night? when i got home the other night i was running the car to cool down the turbo and i thought i'd pop the bonnet just to have a geezer, when i opened it i found that the turbo was glowing red hot. i wasn't even goin silly i was sitting on about 100 for about 20 kms the distance it takes me to get home from town. has anyone else found this and is it normal. does anybody else cool their cars down before turning them off? does anyone have a turbo timer?
smithro_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2005, 17:02   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: geelong
Posts: 1,500
Re: Red Hot Turbo

They all do that after a good run.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
New Car Kid
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perth, W.A.
Age: 36
Posts: 90
Re: Red Hot Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithro_6
Does any ones turbo glow red hot at night? when i got home the other night i was running the car to cool down the turbo and i thought i'd pop the bonnet just to have a geezer, when i opened it i found that the turbo was glowing red hot. i wasn't even goin silly i was sitting on about 100 for about 20 kms the distance it takes me to get home from town. has anyone else found this and is it normal. does anybody else cool their cars down before turning them off? does anyone have a turbo timer?
My understanding is that turbo timers on passenger cars are not ADR compliant. The cooling systems on these cars use a method called thermosiphon to circulate cool water throught the turbo cartridge (the centre section where the oil lubricates the bearings) This works on the theory that warmer water will rise to be displaced by cooler water, thereby continuing to cool the turbo after the engine is shut down. Me personally, I would prefer to see a factory turbo timer installed on all turbo'ed cars, but allowing the engine to idle down for a handful of moments is probably the best thing you could do.
D:)
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:46   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Hypnodoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perth West Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 780
Re: Red Hot Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
My understanding is that turbo timers on passenger cars are not ADR compliant. The cooling systems on these cars use a method called thermosiphon to circulate cool water throught the turbo cartridge (the centre section where the oil lubricates the bearings) This works on the theory that warmer water will rise to be displaced by cooler water, thereby continuing to cool the turbo after the engine is shut down. Me personally, I would prefer to see a factory turbo timer installed on all turbo'ed cars, but allowing the engine to idle down for a handful of moments is probably the best thing you could do.
D:)
Have a look one night after you've been giving it some
__________________
F6 Typhoon's Numbers 333.
Shockwave
,
Pedders Shocks & Springs,Whiteline Swaybars, Manta Exhaust System, Twin 3 inch High Flow Cats & 4 inch Dump Pipe, Injectors and High Vol Pump, FPV Mats, Tinted Glass
Whhoooosssshhh

350rwkw XTREME EDIT
The Real Performance Thing
HSV What ?
and 013, Lightning Strike:
Twin 2.5 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, CAI & Pedders Suspension
Hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 17:24   #5 (permalink)
New Car Kid
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perth, W.A.
Age: 36
Posts: 90
Re: Red Hot Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnodoc
Have a look one night after you've been giving it some
I haven't got one yet Rick, I should have had a look at your's the other day after that blat!! Did you go 300rwkw on the dyno?, cheers, Daniel.
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 22:01   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 36
Re: Red Hot Turbo

Even a non turbo car's exhaust will glow red in the dark (esp a cast manifold). Its no big deal, and certainly nothing to worry about. You only need to let the car idle a while before shutting it down if you have been driving fast or under load (such as towing) immediately before stopping. Like if youve been cruising at high speed and pull into a servo. Normal (speed limit) suburban driving doesnt require any cool down before shutting down. Ive owned turbo cars since 1995 (diesel and petrol) and never bothered with a turbo timer because it would be so rarely needed.
R33GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
Show Me the Boost!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 63
Re: Red Hot Turbo

This is a hot turbo.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotsaab.jpg (55.9 KB, 309 views)
Fan-TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 00:45   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 14
Re: Red Hot Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-TC
This is a hot turbo.........
Yep thats about the colour that mine was
smithro_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:56   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
madmelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Shire :D
Age: 29
Posts: 439
Re: Red Hot Turbo

This pic is from a 600cc Honda motorbike engine. This is what uni students get up to in Formula SAE...fun fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo2.jpg (75.7 KB, 133 views)
__________________
1987 Jaguar Sovereign - Metallic Green
3.6L DOHC 24 Valve
140KW@4750rpm
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 20:05   #10 (permalink)
Frantic Ford Fanatic
 
ricthewheelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Perth
Age: 53
Posts: 140
Re: Red Hot Turbo

makes you wonder how much heat sheilding you should have
__________________
BA Falcon SR, Pearl Blue, with ALL the fruit. Apline V12 amp Kenwood servo subwoofer Amp. Headers and Exhaust.

Old car = AU Futura, Galaxy blue, IRS, 16" mags, DBA Slotted rotors. Pity to see it go, very good, under- rated car, RIP
ricthewheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.